4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, May 23 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Lady Oracle (Paperback)
Well I went to Canada and figured trying out a Margaret Atwood would be appropriate. This novel reminds me of good John Irving. It combines a healthy amount of plot to keep things moving, along with quirky / interesting characters that remain just normal and developed enough to avoid becoming farcical. Moreover, the narrator is a strong central figure that ties things together and keeps the book focused. Finally, the narrator goes through introspection and change, and Atwood gently guides the reader there via use of a "story within a story" that is never overbearing. I know I didn't pick up on all of the symbolism and "deeper meanings" of Joan, but I know I enjoyed being along for the ride with her. Very much recommended for the thoughtful reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader from Muscat Oman, Feb. 28 2013
This review is from: Lady Oracle (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book, Lady Oracle, by Margaret Atwood. The humor was terrific. For instance in chapter 25: "We met at the Red Hot stand in Simpson's Basement. The Royal Porcupine explained that he was poorer than usual and this was the cheapest place in town to have lunch, as you could get two hot dogs and an orange drink for a dollar. I found his cape a little incongruous in Simpson's Basement, and the sexual fantasies I'd been having about him drooped slightly." LOL!!! Chapter 25, again: "Finally I had someone who would waltz with me, and we waltzed all over the ballroom floor of his warehouse, he in his top hat and nothing else, I in a lace tablecloth, to the music of the Mantovani strings, which we got at the Crippled Civilians."

I laughed out-loud a lot reading this book, even in public and I didn't care who heard me! How about this one: "Everything for him was style; nothing was content. Beside him I felt almost profound." Hahahhaaha!! Then the description of Fraser Buchanan: "He was a short man, tidily dressed in a tweed jacket and turtle-neck sweater, with sideburns that he obviously found daring, as he turned his head often to give you the benefit of a side view." Snort!! I can just imagine these characters vividly!! "Daring sideburns" hahahahaha!!!

Ms. Atwood must have been giddy writing this stuff and I can picture her sharing some of these lines with Graeme Gibson so they both could have a good chuckle. I would definitely recommend Lady Oracle if you want a good giggle or full-out laugh reading a book that is hard to put down. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it. Years ago!!, Dec 31 2011
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Oracle (Paperback)
In my early 20s I was regularly reading Atwood's books. Her characters were so surly and had such 'attitude'. Fun!

Lady Oracle
Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood (Paperback - Feb. 16 1999)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89