Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on June 17, 2015
This was a reread for me after I watched the T.V. series. Enjoyed it just as much the second time around.
on October 7, 2014
I read this book when it was first published. I loved it then and I love it now. Timeless and entertaining
on August 22, 2014
I am reading these books for the second time. They are fabulous, have recommended them to all my friends.
on September 17, 2013
I love this book,I read it every year! It's a must read for everyone! Jamie and Claire are so captivating.
on October 19, 2014
Super bon! J'ai hâte de voir le film Ou la série tv. J'adore et je vais lire la suite immédiatement!
on December 5, 2014
Read it for the second time. I loved it just as much as the first time. Diana Gabaldon is a genius :)
on August 8, 2002
It has it all... adventure, romance, fantasy! Great writing, great characters. Can't wait for #6!
on November 6, 2008
It's been ten years ago since I first read this book as a teenager. I read and re-read it many times during the years; so often in fact that I had to re-order it because my copy fell apart.

The writing is impeccable; detailed, precise and fast moving. The novel contains a truly great story, and one of the best love stories I have ever read in my life. Gabaldon has an astonishing gift of bringing these great characters and their historical period to life. All I have to say that I learned more about Scottish customs and the battle of Culloden from her books than I ever learned about any other battles in history from school. And I learned it in a very entertaining way. And yes, I realize it's fiction, but her historic account is pretty accurate.

Claire and Jamie are great main characters. I loved how they interacted together and I loved them separately as well-rounded people with their own accomplishments, faults and vulnerabilities. And Gabaldon, thank goodness, gives a lot of strength, intelligence, courage and gumption to Claire and shows that her inner qualities is what Jamie truly loves about her (though the outer qualities don't hurt), and vice versa. I also love the fact that Claire has a career as a healer (nurse, doctor, etc), both in the 20th century, as well as in the 18th century.

They are very well fleshed out characters, and one complaint I have always had about historic novels is that the characters always come up short, because there is not enough description about their inner qualities. There is no such problem in Outlander.
on September 13, 2001
I would suggest that you would borrow this book from the library, read a few chapters, then if you like it you may consider buying it and especially so before buying the sequels ahead of time. I bought all four books because of the rave reviews you see before you who gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. I thought these books would be another Pride & Prejudice or Gone With The Wind (which are the only books I consider 5 stars) but am sadly mistaken. If I had not bought all the books I would not feel as if I had to read them. I am on Outlander and it is very, very slow and boring and I have to force myself to read it. I am on page 100 and have no intrest in it at all; I'm hoping it will get better. This book is an obvious first for the author having used corny and awkward use of words and predictible characters. Just borrow from the library first, and then if you like them, buy them, but if you don't, you will not be in my situation of having to force yourself to read them!! This book does NOT deserve to be in the same class as Gone With The Wind or Pride & Predjudice.
on May 17, 2000
Right off, after skimming through almost half of the 400+ reviews, one thing becomes clear to me--people either REALLY REALLY love or REALLY hate this book. There is almost no gray area. Well, I am here to provide it. Ever since this book came out in the early nineties, I have been reading/hearing buzz about how GREAT it is, people compare it to classics like GONE WITH THE WIND or IVANHOE, etc... books that stand the test of time. Well, since I have no magic crystal glass into which I can peer and observe the future, who knows if anyone will be reading OUTLANDER, etc. one hundred years from now. Personally, I thought the book was so-so. I didn't hate it, but it was not a keeper for me either. I enjoyed reading it, but I have no desire to read the sequels or to read OUTLANDER again. The problem for me was really the romantic pairing of the books central characters: Claire and Jamie. A lot of Gabaldon Fan-atics (or that portion of readers that are obsessed with Gabaldon books) tout this fictional couple as *one of the greatest pair of literary lovers of all time*. Eh, no. Not for me, anyway. I found the character of Claire to be interesting and likeable, her twentieth century view of 18th century Scotland was fresh, witty, and amusing. Jamie, however, seemed like a flat character to me. The man was perpetually being victimized (and at one point forcefully sodomized) all throughout the book. Yuck. He seemed very immature and annoying to me and I couldn't really understand what Claire saw in him at all. The scenes which were supposed display Jamie's *innate sensitivity* seemed forced and/or fake. The villian Jack Randall--seemed like a cartoon. And what about Claire's 20th century husband Frank? Why did Claire give up so easily on finding the stones back to the future (and Frank) after she had been so obsessed with getting back to them for the first three-hundred-pages? On the flip side, Gabaldon has a gift with language that makes you forget some of the silly characters, the loose plot points, etc. I really felt like she had transported me to 18th Century Scotland. The ironic part is that this book is supposed to be a *romance* but the best parts of the book happen BEFORE the couple gets together. If this book had left Jamie out altogether (or had not made him Claire's love interest, at least) I would have LOVED the book. If Gabaldon had just used the time-travel plot to explore the character of Claire/the fish out of water theme, it would have been much better. I really enjoyed Claire's experiences as a 20th century woman trying to deal with a culture and a time so different from her own. The romance just mucked the story up. If you think I'm saying that because I hate romance novels, you couldn't be more wrong. Some of my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, Lisa Kleypas, Kathleen Woodiwiss, etc. This book just didn't work for me. Howeverm I wouldn't completely write if off. Gabaldon is a writer whose language can transport you, even if you don't particularly care for some of the themes or messages her books put across.