4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland
When I first heard of this book and all the positive hype, I was skeptical. It's a book that is hard to classify as just one genre. It's part historical novel, romance, suspense, action, and science fiction. I right away wonder how much romance was in it, you see, I don't mind some, but I don't like true chick lit or Harlequin romance. However, the more I heard about...
Published on Dec 2 2007 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed after 700 pages?!!!!! Buyer BEWARE!
Ms. Gabaldon is an extremely good writer and I throughly enjoyed the majority of this book...until scenes of such unnecessary vividly described sexual abuse/rape of a major character. I was unprepared for the depth of description and continued reliving of the event. The author had me held in her hand; I came to care about these characters and felt she could and should...
Published on March 1 2001

‹ Previous | 183 84 8588 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is good, but certainly not deserving of 5 stars!, Sept. 22 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this book and enjoyed it as simply another romance novel. I do not feel that it is anything special. As for reading it quickly, it took me 3 weeks to read it! It was easy to put down! I admit, I have not read the sequels, but I probably will get around to them eventually. I am in no big hurry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as the reviews suggest, Aug. 23 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I too read this book because of the number of excellent reviews. It was a quick read (for 850 pages!), but it was not one of the greatest books I've ever read. I could go with the story up until the last 150 pages - the torture/redemption bit was just too much. It was disturbing and not what I expected from an escapism novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much violence, not enough love, July 15 1999
SeanFurl (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book on the strength of nearly 350 positive online reader reviews. I was misled about what the book would be like by all 350. I expected the book would be at its core a romance between heroine and hero. But I had to wait until page 266 for the first kiss. Prior to that page, the hero is shot by a musket, stabbed by a bayonet, twice whipped by a cat o' nine tails, pummeled by a big man with huge fists, and attacked by many fists in a bar brawl. All these in separate scenes. Meanwhile the heroine is nearly raped by the English, abducted by the Scottish, mauled by a gang of drunks, and viciously punched in the stomach by an army captain. "The squealing went on, rising to an inhuman pitch as the heavy body toppled to one side, driving the protruding dagger hilt-deep in the hairy flesh." Thus died a wild boar. But not before the boar had fatally injured one of its hunters. The first kiss, when it arrives, is formally not for its own sake but to avoid being murdered or imprisoned by third parties. Which is definitely not what I was looking for! I was looking for a romance. After page 266, the romance begins to pick up, but the violence keeps on happening. I quit reading it half way through primarily because I am bored by violence and bloodshed. I think it is interesting that none of the 350 reviewers clued me in in that regard.

3.0 out of 5 stars 850 pages, only last 300 were worth the read, Jan. 23 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Outlander (Paperback)
I am not a great fan of romance, but the super positive reviews made me buy this book. From the reviews I had the impression this was not just another romantic story. While reading, I regretted my decision, but I never stop a book in the middle, so kept on reading (even though 850 pages) and it got a little better by page 350. I found the beginning very slow, not to the point and pretty boring. Halfway the pace got a little better, but altogether I found the book missing action and credibility. The ending really made up for the first 350 pages, but I will not buy any of Ms. Gabaldon's sequels.

3.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY OVER-RATED BY YOUR READERS, Sept. 6 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Outlander was okay and I enjoyed it....but I came nowhere near the rhapsody decribed by your reviewers! Is Gabaldon trying to take Michener's or Clancey's place in the world with the thickest books on the shelf? There was no reason for this story to have taken over 800 pages (paper back). It could have been told just as convincingly in half the pages. I'll read some of the ensuing books.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing mixture of romance and fantasy, Aug. 1 1997
By A Customer
The book did not hold up to the expectations I had been given by other readers.

History is secondary to at times steamy romance and fantasy. The writing, at least in the beginning of
the book, is too breathy. One would have wished Ms. Gabaldon a better editor for her first book.

Fantasy for sure, as it is rather unbelievable that not only her husband but also a monk believe the heroine's story of time travel at a time where witches were quickly put on the stake.

All I can recommend this book for is very light summer reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's under his kilt?, July 24 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
A thinly disguised romance novel. I was disappointed that once the main character goes back in time to early Scotland, she stays there for a loooong time. I expected more treatment of issues of going back and forth between realities. Also, the ending was blah, beige, boring. It could have been intense, especially if the time scene had flicked back and forth more often, as her character's husband in "present" time is a descendent of a past enemy. What if she'd tried to get present hubby to go back with her and change things? What if, what if.... ah well....

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I have ever read, April 16 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
The worst imaginative fiction I've ever read is a book called Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It is about a nurse in 1941 who goes back in time accidently to 18th century Scotland through a stone circle. The first bit of the book is ok, but then when the protagonist has a chance to choose between going back to her husband in 1941 who is a professor, and a sensitive guy who cares about her, and staying with this Scottish warrior guy that she has been forced to marry who beats her and treats her as if he owns her and she must obey everything he says, she chooses to stay! And when he doesn't respect her limits, and her wishes, she grumbles a bit and then ends up liking it and then is even more in love with him than before. And as if that's not enough, the novel degenerates into a romance novel with a bunch of sex scenes, (and here I was expecting a combination of science fiction and historical fiction,) Boring! It made me lose my respect for the character and for the author. And to think that it's a bestseller! I stopped after reading about half the book because I just couldn't take any more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Booooring!!!!!!!!!!!, Oct. 11 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was so boring!! I bought all three and couldn't bear to finish the last one, I tried but I just couldn't do it. Try reading "Knight in Shining Armour". After all, this time travel romance stuff should be fun and fanciful not drawn out, and boooring!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Outlander (Abriged) C.D. - A Grave Disappointment, July 21 2003
"eireancolleen" (San Francisco, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Audio CD)
WHAT "GENIUS" DECIDED TO ABRIDGE GABALDON'S C.D. BOOKS AND BUTCHER THE STORIES THAT SHE SLAVED OVER FOR YEARS? WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE?
I ordered Diane Gabaldon's "Voyager" (Abriged) audio C.D. looking forward to being whisked away to Scottland's Highlands and reliving the magnificant tale of Claire Beachamp and Jaime Fraser auditorily. What I got, however, was a lot of choppey garbage that didn't make any sense. Unfortunately, these "Abriged" audio C.D.'s mean that the crucial chapters and important story lines serving as the connecting thread that reveal how friendships/enemies are made, the complexity of the characters and the array of emotions encapsulating their lives are either skipped or omitted entirely, ruining the book's continuity and robbing the story of its innate passion and intrigue. Instead, the listener is forced to listen to a butchered version of Gabaldon's masterpiece, which goes as follows: Claire is with Frank; Claire goes through the stones; Claire's first encounter with Randall; Claire's first encounter with the Highlanders; Claire meets Jaime; Claire marries Jaime; Claire and Jaime have problems with the English; Jaime is captured by the English; Claire saves Jaime's life. THE END. Gone are the story lines showing Jaime's sense of humor, temper and adoration for Claire, gone are the story lines showing Claire's complex emotions for both Jaime and Frank, and her coming to terms with her New World, not to mention life in a Scottish castle in the 17th Century; gone are the scintillating descriptions of Column's "Hall" and the ceremonial Oath Taking; gone are the portions of the novel that make you fall in love with Jaime, cry with/for CLaire, both admire and hate Dougal MacKenzie, feel sympathy for Column and all the other Highlanders. This is a bare-bones, skeletal version of Gabaldon's books and they are shameful. Luckily, I have re-read "Voyager" numerous times so I could fill in the blanks; otherwise, I would have no idea how special and complex Gabaldon's "Voyager" series truly is. Geraldine James is an excellent Reader although the narrative quality is somewhat compromised by her reading both the male and female portions of the book. Admittedly, I looked forward to listening to the male characters read in a male (Scottish) voice. I assume there must be ample Scottish readers somewhere in Scotland who could have easily mastered the task. Ms. James does an admirable job in attempting to sound male as well as Scottish, but one feels as if they're listening to their 3rd Grade school teacher attempting to create different voices during reading time. My recommendation here is that the audio books are done UNABRIDGED and both male and female readers are employed in order to do the books justice. Nobody, certainly not Gabaldon's biggest fans, should have to endure the butchering of her brilliant novels. A grave disappointment, indeed.

‹ Previous | 183 84 8588 | Next ›

Outlander
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69