5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!
First I have to say I am not a lover of historical books. I acutally usually don't read them at all but I was drawn to the time travelling aspect of this book. It was wonderful. The writing was absolutely page turning. I read it every spare second I had and even some seconds I didn't have to spare. I loved the story of romance, the background of Scotland all that...
Published on March 27 2006 by oster71

3.0 out of 5 stars Romance novel meets the Perils of Pauline
I hate to disagree with all those listed here who said that it's not a romance novel, but it is. The two main characters make love when they're happy, when they're sad, when they're angry, when they're in danger, when they escape danger, when they kill someone....and the earth always moves.

The harrowing danger-and-escape sequences are well written but become...
Published on July 16 1997

‹ Previous | 183 84 8598 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Borrow this from the Library first, Sept. 13 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I would suggest that you would borrow this book from the library, read a few chapters, then if you like it you may consider buying it and especially so before buying the sequels ahead of time. I bought all four books because of the rave reviews you see before you who gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. I thought these books would be another Pride & Prejudice or Gone With The Wind (which are the only books I consider 5 stars) but am sadly mistaken. If I had not bought all the books I would not feel as if I had to read them. I am on Outlander and it is very, very slow and boring and I have to force myself to read it. I am on page 100 and have no intrest in it at all; I'm hoping it will get better. This book is an obvious first for the author having used corny and awkward use of words and predictible characters. Just borrow from the library first, and then if you like them, buy them, but if you don't, you will not be in my situation of having to force yourself to read them!! This book does NOT deserve to be in the same class as Gone With The Wind or Pride & Predjudice.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand the phenomenon, May 17 2000
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Right off, after skimming through almost half of the 400+ reviews, one thing becomes clear to me--people either REALLY REALLY love or REALLY hate this book. There is almost no gray area. Well, I am here to provide it. Ever since this book came out in the early nineties, I have been reading/hearing buzz about how GREAT it is, people compare it to classics like GONE WITH THE WIND or IVANHOE, etc... books that stand the test of time. Well, since I have no magic crystal glass into which I can peer and observe the future, who knows if anyone will be reading OUTLANDER, etc. one hundred years from now. Personally, I thought the book was so-so. I didn't hate it, but it was not a keeper for me either. I enjoyed reading it, but I have no desire to read the sequels or to read OUTLANDER again. The problem for me was really the romantic pairing of the books central characters: Claire and Jamie. A lot of Gabaldon Fan-atics (or that portion of readers that are obsessed with Gabaldon books) tout this fictional couple as *one of the greatest pair of literary lovers of all time*. Eh, no. Not for me, anyway. I found the character of Claire to be interesting and likeable, her twentieth century view of 18th century Scotland was fresh, witty, and amusing. Jamie, however, seemed like a flat character to me. The man was perpetually being victimized (and at one point forcefully sodomized) all throughout the book. Yuck. He seemed very immature and annoying to me and I couldn't really understand what Claire saw in him at all. The scenes which were supposed display Jamie's *innate sensitivity* seemed forced and/or fake. The villian Jack Randall--seemed like a cartoon. And what about Claire's 20th century husband Frank? Why did Claire give up so easily on finding the stones back to the future (and Frank) after she had been so obsessed with getting back to them for the first three-hundred-pages? On the flip side, Gabaldon has a gift with language that makes you forget some of the silly characters, the loose plot points, etc. I really felt like she had transported me to 18th Century Scotland. The ironic part is that this book is supposed to be a *romance* but the best parts of the book happen BEFORE the couple gets together. If this book had left Jamie out altogether (or had not made him Claire's love interest, at least) I would have LOVED the book. If Gabaldon had just used the time-travel plot to explore the character of Claire/the fish out of water theme, it would have been much better. I really enjoyed Claire's experiences as a 20th century woman trying to deal with a culture and a time so different from her own. The romance just mucked the story up. If you think I'm saying that because I hate romance novels, you couldn't be more wrong. Some of my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, Lisa Kleypas, Kathleen Woodiwiss, etc. This book just didn't work for me. Howeverm I wouldn't completely write if off. Gabaldon is a writer whose language can transport you, even if you don't particularly care for some of the themes or messages her books put across.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best romance novel I'veread..., April 2 2000
By A Customer
I am currently 2/3 of the way through what is my firstnovel in this genre. All things going well, it will also be mylast. My wife agreed to read some of "my" books, while I tackled the challenge of reading hers with a view to understanding the fairer sex better.
Well, I hate to disagree with 95% of the review here but this has been something less than a page turner- it has taken me atleast a couple of months to get this far.
I would see this book as being the female equivalent of looking through a naughty magazine, with our hero being a fine example of an almost unrealizable ideal. The big, strong, firey red-headed Scot, always ready to dive in and protect his fair maiden. Strong as an ox he is nonetheless warm and caring, and also a little naive in the way of women. He would, of course, be ready to fight to the death for our heroine. Fluent in Gaelic, English and French, he is also partial to quoting from Greek mythology (in ancient Greek, obviously). Yes! This is 18th century Scotland! I guess this is a case of a not so willing suspension of disbelief.
The story-line, while based on an interesting premise (blending mythology, history and fiction) is still quite repetitive. Boy meets girl. Girl gets in trouble. Boy rescues girl. They disagree, but make up "in the bedroom". Girl gets in trouble again. Boy rescues girl again. Repeat 4 or 5 times.
I did agree to read all books in this series but my consistent pleas of mercy have worn my wife down, so I'll just have to finish this one. I'll give one star for the benefit of the doubt - I'm not exactly the target audience. One star for the quite original idea behind the book and all the research that undoubtedly went into it. As for me, I'll stick to the likes of Salman Rushdie and Milan Kundera- I would recommend them for higly original and thought provoking fiction.

2.0 out of 5 stars A shame someone of Gabaldon's talent writes bodice-rippers, Sept. 14 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I stayed through Outlander only because a family member urged me to. There were points when I just had to howl, the language was so silly...the heroine fantasizes about thehandsome Jamie--"He could ride me anywhere." But Gabaldon does have a turn of phrase and facility with the language, and there's one point toward the end that frankly is brilliant. It's a shame she doesn't put it to better use. It's all pretty harmless except for her disturbing preoccupation with sodomy. Even if that sort of thing happened a lot back then, the lines about kilt-clad men having to watch their posteriors for fear of "buggery" got a wee bit tiresome. When a "good guy" in the book is raped by another man--who feels a sick sort of love for him--the author dwells on it for page after page. I skimmed most of it, but it made my skin crawl. I don't know if Gabaldon thinks this is cool or kinky or a turn-on, or she's really tapped into her audience and knows this is what they'll plunk their money down for. Either way, it's kinda sick. At the end of the day, Outlander is pretty low-rent. If you want British Isles history, why not stick with Braveheart and Ivanhoe and the incomparable novels of Mary Stewart?

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent yarn., Nov. 30 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I am looking forward to reading the sequels. Really love the characters, and witty dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a great book, Sept. 13 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Outlander (Paperback)
My version at home calls it Cross Stitch but none the less I'm also 13 and I loved this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly riveting, Aug. 18 2003
Jill Zimmer "MFT Intern, Indiana I enjoy the ... (Columbus, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad book. I guess most women would enjoy it. It allows them to justify fantasizing about another man while staying married, and in a vacation nature spot. In fact, it is the female's version of a man's - being abducted by a female alien in a spaceship. People have handed this book to me for years just gushing over it. I finally picked it up and started reading it, but I won't finish it. I just am not enthralled, and it wasn't too hard to leave on the front porch a week ago. I would rather read a Johanna Lindsey "novel" than just a little "upscale" like this with the added nature descriptions. Lindsey is shorter, to the point, totally mindless and enjoyable without all the descriptions of foliage. And, I will remember both plots about the same.
Read Rebecca by D. Du Maurier or The Alienist by Caleb Carr, or the Harry Potter books. Something a little more imaginative.

5.0 out of 5 stars but each time I enjoy it more then the last, Nov. 1 2014
Third or fourth time I've read it, lost track, but each time I enjoy it more then the last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 5 2014
Best book ever! And I've read 1000s. Diana will be known as the author of our generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, March 17 2015
Loved it. Everyone told me to read it so I did and they were right. Very good book ... .

‹ Previous | 183 84 8598 | Next ›

Outlander
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69