4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland
When I first heard of this book and all the positive hype, I was skeptical. It's a book that is hard to classify as just one genre. It's part historical novel, romance, suspense, action, and science fiction. I right away wonder how much romance was in it, you see, I don't mind some, but I don't like true chick lit or Harlequin romance. However, the more I heard about...
Published on Dec 2 2007 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Romance novel meets the Perils of Pauline
I hate to disagree with all those listed here who said that it's not a romance novel, but it is. The two main characters make love when they're happy, when they're sad, when they're angry, when they're in danger, when they escape danger, when they kill someone....and the earth always moves.

The harrowing danger-and-escape sequences are well written but become...
Published on July 16 1997

‹ Previous | 183 84 8589 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Nov. 12 2007
M. Davis "Megs" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an adventurous love story coupled with great recants of history. But it is not only a love story - it's a story about pure devotion. Sigh!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as the reviews suggest, Aug. 23 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I too read this book because of the number of excellent reviews. It was a quick read (for 850 pages!), but it was not one of the greatest books I've ever read. I could go with the story up until the last 150 pages - the torture/redemption bit was just too much. It was disturbing and not what I expected from an escapism novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is good, but certainly not deserving of 5 stars!, Sept. 22 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this book and enjoyed it as simply another romance novel. I do not feel that it is anything special. As for reading it quickly, it took me 3 weeks to read it! It was easy to put down! I admit, I have not read the sequels, but I probably will get around to them eventually. I am in no big hurry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Outlander was not what I was expecting. I was not prepared for the sadistic homosexual sexual images that were in the book. Homosexual sex does not offend me, not even mild S&M, but true torture tied with sex is repulsive. I also got bored. The book was too long.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's under his kilt?, July 24 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
A thinly disguised romance novel. I was disappointed that once the main character goes back in time to early Scotland, she stays there for a loooong time. I expected more treatment of issues of going back and forth between realities. Also, the ending was blah, beige, boring. It could have been intense, especially if the time scene had flicked back and forth more often, as her character's husband in "present" time is a descendent of a past enemy. What if she'd tried to get present hubby to go back with her and change things? What if, what if.... ah well....

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it., April 6 2002
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Friends of mine told me that this was their all-time favorite book; they had even called in sick to stay home and read it. I was so excited to read it too.
What a huge disappointment. The beginning chapters were so boring, I had to force myself to read it all, knowing that all those names and dates would be important in the future. When Claire finally fell through the rocks, I thought it would get better. It was just as boring. I found it completely odd that she wasn't more freaked out about traveling in time.
I also found Jamie boring. How perfect is a hero supposed to be? Put aside the beatings he gave her, but other than that, he is so perfect that when given the chance, she doesn't want to go back to her old life? I found that completely unbelievable. And as each adventure happened, I couldn't help thinking, come on! How much can happen to one (or two) person? It was just too incredulous.
The writing also was not as good as I would have liked. If you missed one word in a paragraph, that might be the word that explains everything that happens in the next chapter. Also, there were a lot of loose ends. While Claire was still in the present, she sees a man in the mist, through her bedroom window. Who is this man, and why is he even mentioned? He might be explained in future novels, but what if I don't make it that far? Also, I read that Diana Gabaldon had originally NOT intended to write a sequel (or sequels), so it seems as though she wrote about him, then forgot about him. ONly because her fans were so excited about sequels does Gabaldon get the chance to explain him.
The characters were interesting, and I wondered what happened to them in future novels. However, not enough to pick them all up and read them; I'll just have somebody tell me what happens to Geillis Duncan and Frank Randall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oversight or what?, March 25 2002
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Romance gone into time-travel? Time-travel is virtually discarded here, and the romance aspect is certainly jaded, tainted with sadistic scenes and homosexuality. Otherwise the novel is a fairly plain historical piece of work set in the Scottish Highlands during the eighteenth century, the first in a series of five books thus far.

The novel is quite gripping overall, though it drags terribly at intervals, particularly during lengthy boring domestic scenes which could have been considerably shortened. Also throughout there are gratuitous injections of unrelenting unbelievable ... tacky shots designed to entice the reader.

Of course romantic hero, Jamie, is a stereotyped handsome tall muscly figure with incredible eyes and long red hair who screws marvellously, ... but to spice things up and keep matters thoroughly modern he gets buggered by an English officer wearing a red coat no less.

Having said that I read it cover to cover to see how a so-called modern-day romance is conducted insofar as capturing a readership, and from a female point of view. What transpires is disturbing. And it poses the question: Is this escape fiction to satiate a bored readership who want to add spice to their romance reading fodder?

This book, despite its research into historical details, cheapens romance and history. The book is not well written enough to carry off the blend, but the series sold and sold, and seems to be what readers want.

What added to its general tackiness was something not tacky at all, rather a complete oversight, or could it have been a deliberate mistake? Doubtful. It is something unforgivable for a writer to have done, namely in chapter 9, pages 159 to 164. It is April or May 1743 a few weeks after Claire Randall (Beauchamp) was transported back from her time of 1945.

"... I was invited to go on one of these fruit-picking expeditions with several young women of the castle, ... It was beautiful in the orchard, and I greatly enjoyed wandering through the cool mist of the Scottish morning, fingering through the damp leaves of the fruit trees for the bright cherries and smooth, plump apricots, squeezing gently to judge the ripeness. We plucked only the best, dropping them into our baskets in juicy heaps, eating as much as we could hold, and carrying back the remainder to be made into tarts and pies. ..."

Oh, during spring in the Scottish Highlands? Have the climate and seasons changed that much since 1743?

I trust there's an explanation for picking fruit in the spring, or is the author having an attempt at magical realism?

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadistic, Salacious, Un-Salvageable, Jan. 28 2002
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Gabaldon takes an interesting premise (time travel) and then all but ignores it in favor of seemingly endless sexual encounters and torture. Where are the ruminations and reactions of a twentieth century sensibility suddenly dropped into eighteenth century Scotland? Seldom seen or heard, let me tell you! I would not have finished this book but I was listening to it on tape during a long automobile trip. It became excruciating. Gabaldon's exhaustive research is certainly on display, as is her ability to describe sex and violence graphically. But she spends too much time on these while action scenes are few and far between (to clarify: she does manage to write violence without action -- it's called torture). Dialogue between our heroine and her Scottish warrior quickly becomes cloying and embarrassing. The heroine herself behaves incredibly stupidly, repeatedly walking into danger after being explicitly warned. In fact, one comes to actively dislike her. Gabaldon is a competent writer, able to convey some really interesting information, and she obviously has found a popular literary niche, but I'm not sure what it should be called -- historical romance action adventure? I think it is disingenuous to classify this novel as sci-fi/fantasy as the author uses the time travel aspect very little -- in fact, she seems to reference it only as a periodic afterthought. I do *not* recommend this book for anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 7 2009
Jennifer N. Richard (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I was looking for a great read....wow! I have to know what happens to Jaimie and Claire, from Outlander, Dragonfly In Amber, Voyageur, The Fiery Cross. I'm presently reading A Breath Of Snow And Ashes. This is one amazing series....it takes my breath away...

2.0 out of 5 stars boooring silly romance, not for me, thanks !, May 26 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book incredibly boring. I had to fight to get halfway through it, luckily the ending got a little more interesting. I can't believe my eyes if there are people saying this is the best book they have ever read. Just know that this a a simple romance book (Claire can't keep her hands of Jamie and vice versa, they make love, they fight)with a little adventure (for sure not enough). I don't understand why she needs 850 pages to tell her story. Why didn't we hear from Frank, how does he feel? I wouldn't even recommend it for light summer reading and for the same reason, I will not read any of the sequels. THIS IS ONLY FOR ROMANCE READERS.

‹ Previous | 183 84 8589 | Next ›

Outlander
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69