4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland
When I first heard of this book and all the positive hype, I was skeptical. It's a book that is hard to classify as just one genre. It's part historical novel, romance, suspense, action, and science fiction. I right away wonder how much romance was in it, you see, I don't mind some, but I don't like true chick lit or Harlequin romance. However, the more I heard about...
Published on Dec 2 2007 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Romance novel meets the Perils of Pauline
I hate to disagree with all those listed here who said that it's not a romance novel, but it is. The two main characters make love when they're happy, when they're sad, when they're angry, when they're in danger, when they escape danger, when they kill someone....and the earth always moves.

The harrowing danger-and-escape sequences are well written but become...
Published on July 16 1997

‹ Previous | 183 84 8594 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a wonderful novel., Dec 9 2014
This review is from: Outlander (Kindle Edition)
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Still reading it, it is a wonderful novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuck, March 20 2000
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This one was recommended to me by someone and has been touted as the ultimate romance. I thought it was stupid. I couldn't even finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 19 2014
This review is from: Outlander (Kindle Edition)
You know its a great read when you get emotional about the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!!, Nov. 25 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I started it a couple of days ago and I cannot take my eyes out of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, but doesn't live up to the hype, June 16 2000
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Given the devotion of the readers and the high-flown praise I read here, I expected more of this book. It's a good story, but the writing is mediocre, at best. There is a feeling of the whole being stuck together with crazy glue. I suspect the first part (before the big event of stepping through the stones) was added as an afterthought. Some of the dialogue is very awkward and even silly. "Sanctuary" -- that made me shudder. I like the characters, I like most of the story (in spite of the gothic elements); I can't go along with the idea of this as great literature. The prose is just too raw for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful series, Dec 12 2001
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved these books. great book series. These books are a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 4 2014
LOTS OF ADVENTURE AND ACTION LOVED THE BOOK AND I LOVE THE SERIES

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and Betrayed, March 19 2002
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I was initially impressed with this book. Diana Gabaldon is a descriptive and detail-oriented writer, who takes the time to let the reader get to know her characters, their backgrounds, and setting she has placed them in. In spite of some gory scenes (including a blow-by-blow decription of a flogging that goes on for ages) I was willing to keep reading because I had come to care for the characters and was interested in the plot development.
Then I came to the scene of the beating. The "hero" of the book, who up until now has shown himself to be fair, kind and understanding, and who has sworn to protect the heroine with his body and soul, beats her "to within an inch of her life" because she "disobeyed" him, and therefore must be "punished."
Understandably, this is a book that takes place in 18th century Scotland, and no doubt women were probably treated like no more than property and were beaten, but this is coming from a character who we are supposed to like and sympathize with, and whom with heroine falls in love with. Even after the main character tries to reason with him, says she is sorry, admits she was wrong, and agrees to obey him, he still sighs and remarks that they must "get on with it" - and prceeds to beat her both with a belt and with his bare fists, in order to teach her a lesson.
The attitude that the author takes to this scene, which already was shocking enough in its unexpectedness and violence, is even worse. The main character, who is presumably a modern woman - bold, confident and self-assured - acts like a petulent child the following day, sulking and muttering, while the other men in the party crack jokes about the event and comment bemusedly that maybe he was a "little too hard" on her.
Instead of leaving him or at least trying to escape, or even feeling outraged at what had happened, the heroine launches into a long internal monologue where she decides that he was right after all, and that she obviously deserved it, and silly her, this is the 18th century, not the 20th, so it probably served her right.
At this point I felt so sickened, shocked and betrayed that I got rid of the book immediately and will not pick it up again.
As I can see from some other reviews, the two main characters continue to fall in love in spite of this wanton act of cruelty, and more extreme tortures are to follow.
I simply cannot suspend my disbelief enough to sympathize with a such a character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 8 2014
This review is from: Outlander (Kindle Edition)
Awesome-loved it the first time I read it and loved it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, Aug. 20 2014
This review is from: Outlander (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book for what it is - a historical romance.

‹ Previous | 183 84 8594 | Next ›

Outlander
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69