4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland
When I first heard of this book and all the positive hype, I was skeptical. It's a book that is hard to classify as just one genre. It's part historical novel, romance, suspense, action, and science fiction. I right away wonder how much romance was in it, you see, I don't mind some, but I don't like true chick lit or Harlequin romance. However, the more I heard about...
Published on Dec 2 2007 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Romance novel meets the Perils of Pauline
I hate to disagree with all those listed here who said that it's not a romance novel, but it is. The two main characters make love when they're happy, when they're sad, when they're angry, when they're in danger, when they escape danger, when they kill someone....and the earth always moves.

The harrowing danger-and-escape sequences are well written but become...
Published on July 16 1997

‹ Previous | 183 84 8588 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, Sept. 11 2007
Melanie (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Paperback)
This was a great book. I loved the pictures she painted with her beautiful descriptions of the Scottish Highlands. The main characters where likable and the story moved quick and kept you wanting more. It's an excellent Historical Romance, with quite a few steamy love scenes.

Towards the end of the book the story takes a bit of a dark turn. I for one could have done without the Sadistic Torture described to us in detail. Some things are better left to the imagination, as the detail in which it was described is somewhat disturbing.
The author and the book do redeem themselves again if you can manage to continue reading after that point, and they hook you in and leave you begging for more...

Thank goodness there are more books in this series because I need to find out what happens next...

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, Jan. 9 2002
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This novel is about 10 times longer than it needs to be ... pages and pages of inane rambling interspersed with barely enough action to make the reader hold out hope that something will actually *happen.* Reader beware ... if you're not into it in the first 50 pages, drop it. It doesn't get any better -- in fact, it gets much worse -- and the ending belongs in the dictionary under "hackneyed."
Frankly, I am floored that this book got as many good reviews as it did. Not only did it start out slow, but when Jamie beat Claire and she took him back with hardly a flinch, the author reached a new low in romance writing. Claire's character wasn't realistic or likeable to start with, but that scene removed all hope that I'd ever like her or take her seriously ... or that I could see Jamie as anything but the violent, sexist jerk he was.
Despite the swooning reviews, this is nothing but romance ... with a little bit of historical accuracy thrown in. Apparently that is enough to make many readers think it actually qualifies as great literature. Trust me, it is not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Life is too short to read bad books, Nov. 27 2013
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I really thought she liked me before I read this. She told me it was romance, adventure, history and full of twists and turns. Unfortunately, I am one to disagree with the hundreds of reviews saying this book is the best thing you'll ever read. The only way I see that happening if it's the only book you ever read in your entire life. Life is much too short to read bad books people! The only surprise I found in the book was that it includes the first few chapters of the next book, meaning this first book ends. This happens at 93% (on my kindle) and it was coincidentally my favorite part. No, I did not read on and no, I will never read the sequels.

Claire is a twit. She wants to be a strong, smart, independent character that can take care of herself. However, she is always making stupid, selfish, decisions, and her stubbornness puts her company in danger on more than one occasion. Did I mention the story starts and she is married to another man, in a different time, and claims her life is wonderful. Then she ends up in the past, married to a new man and pretty much writes off her first husband when she has the chance to return. I couldn't get past how stupidly annoying Claire is to find any positive character trait.

Jamie is your typical "hero" type. He's got that sexy smile, was a gentlemen (apparently that means staying a virgin before marriage) he is brave and will do pretty much anything to save his unforgivably stupid wife. He's been beaten, abused, and has by the sounds of it had a fairly rough before Claire came along. He beats Claire to "within an inch of her life" for being a moron. I don't condone violence in relationships under any circumstances, but I honestly must say it was satisfying that I wasn't the only one to see how frustratingly stupid Claire was.

The story itself follows a pretty predictable sequence of events after the time travel. There is wandering, threat of rape/violence/death, healing, more wandering, again with the violence/rape/chance of death, healing, wandering... oh and that one part where the loch ness monster makes an appearance. I was waiting for it to start waving and speaking to Claire. Seriously, that's how desperate I was to see the point of some of these chapters. then there is more violence and rape (however no one ever seems to die other than the poor lad Claire decides to off because it's the only way she knows he'll keep his mouth shut). Any death is heard by word of mouth, which is surprising considering the amount of violence that goes on and the extent of some of the injuries that are described. "so and so was trampled to death" is not the usual drawn out, descriptive scene the author goes for. The story finally ends with the promise of more wandering... at 93% on your kindles ladies and gents.

If you like very long, very violent stories sprinkled with sex scenes then this is a book for you. I'd probably go with some type of short story collection of kinky erotica if that's what you're into and don't want to commit yourself to 800+ pages. If this is the only book you've read outside schooling, I encourage you to read more. It gets better than this, I promise.

3.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY OVER-RATED BY YOUR READERS, Sept. 6 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Outlander was okay and I enjoyed it....but I came nowhere near the rhapsody decribed by your reviewers! Is Gabaldon trying to take Michener's or Clancey's place in the world with the thickest books on the shelf? There was no reason for this story to have taken over 800 pages (paper back). It could have been told just as convincingly in half the pages. I'll read some of the ensuing books.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I have ever read, April 16 1998
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
The worst imaginative fiction I've ever read is a book called Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It is about a nurse in 1941 who goes back in time accidently to 18th century Scotland through a stone circle. The first bit of the book is ok, but then when the protagonist has a chance to choose between going back to her husband in 1941 who is a professor, and a sensitive guy who cares about her, and staying with this Scottish warrior guy that she has been forced to marry who beats her and treats her as if he owns her and she must obey everything he says, she chooses to stay! And when he doesn't respect her limits, and her wishes, she grumbles a bit and then ends up liking it and then is even more in love with him than before. And as if that's not enough, the novel degenerates into a romance novel with a bunch of sex scenes, (and here I was expecting a combination of science fiction and historical fiction,) Boring! It made me lose my respect for the character and for the author. And to think that it's a bestseller! I stopped after reading about half the book because I just couldn't take any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series is wonderful, Dec 2 2008
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow, I just finished reading all 6 books and I am blown away by the depth of the story and the wonderful writing of authour Gabaldon. I always ask people "Have you read any good books lately" and most recently 2 of my friends are reading Book 1 Outlander. I know of the joy they will have over this approaching Christmas season. Hang in there folks, your journey is just beginning. Ask Santa to bring you the other 5 books for continued good reading through 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Written Historical Novel!, Nov. 6 2008
It's been ten years ago since I first read this book as a teenager. I read and re-read it many times during the years; so often in fact that I had to re-order it because my copy fell apart.

The writing is impeccable; detailed, precise and fast moving. The novel contains a truly great story, and one of the best love stories I have ever read in my life. Gabaldon has an astonishing gift of bringing these great characters and their historical period to life. All I have to say that I learned more about Scottish customs and the battle of Culloden from her books than I ever learned about any other battles in history from school. And I learned it in a very entertaining way. And yes, I realize it's fiction, but her historic account is pretty accurate.

Claire and Jamie are great main characters. I loved how they interacted together and I loved them separately as well-rounded people with their own accomplishments, faults and vulnerabilities. And Gabaldon, thank goodness, gives a lot of strength, intelligence, courage and gumption to Claire and shows that her inner qualities is what Jamie truly loves about her (though the outer qualities don't hurt), and vice versa. I also love the fact that Claire has a career as a healer (nurse, doctor, etc), both in the 20th century, as well as in the 18th century.

They are very well fleshed out characters, and one complaint I have always had about historic novels is that the characters always come up short, because there is not enough description about their inner qualities. There is no such problem in Outlander.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, but Great Book!, Dec 6 2007
Tiffany Goskey (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the most intense and romantic books I have ever read. This is not a cheesy romantic book. Claire and Jamie Fraser have a connection that leave you breathless. I highly recommend this book. But, you must prepare yourself for the violence and detailed sex. If this makes you squeemesh, don't read it. It is guilty pleasure to read, and I have read it at least 4 times. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Nov. 12 2007
M. Davis "Megs" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an adventurous love story coupled with great recants of history. But it is not only a love story - it's a story about pure devotion. Sigh!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as the reviews suggest, Aug. 23 1999
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I too read this book because of the number of excellent reviews. It was a quick read (for 850 pages!), but it was not one of the greatest books I've ever read. I could go with the story up until the last 150 pages - the torture/redemption bit was just too much. It was disturbing and not what I expected from an escapism novel.

‹ Previous | 183 84 8588 | Next ›

Outlander
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69