Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on August 20, 2014
The characters were great once you could determine where they fit in with each other. There is absolutely no plot and no end. The story line has more jumps than a kangaroo.
It's a tough intellectual read best left to students of literature and their peers.
If this is the first of a trilogy, I'll leave the other 2/3 to those who can appreciate it!
on November 17, 2003
I can't believe that the Gov-Gen, Giller, and Booker selection committees gave this book the attention they did. Clearly, it was a case of Atwood's name being nominated, because this snoozer didn't deserve it. It is Booooring! Condescending in high Atwood style, Oryx and Crake fails to present any characters of interest, or anything of interest. The story is boring, the settings are boring. Classic Atwood. That this dud won acclaim and something like Guy Vanderhaeghe's The Last Crossing was ignored makes a mockery of this year's crop of Lit awards.
on March 28, 2013
Yikes! This book was so dull that I only got to halfway and quit. I could not endure the torture any longer. I read the second book first "The Year of The Flood" and it was a lot more interesting than this. Too much talk about sex and how it works and children used as sex objects. It felt like it was written by a man with sex on his mind. I have zero interest in those.
on November 3, 2009
Having never read Atwood before, I picked Oryx and Crake up at the library and thought I'd see what all the hype is about. After reading the book cover to cover, I still don't know. This book, simply put, is awful. The character of Snowman is not well developed...he seemed stupid (there was a lot of questions he SHOULD have wondered about) and uninteresting. The plot is not interesting, either. We are left with a lot of unanswered questions at the end (for example, why did Crake want Jimmy to kill him?). But the worst thing about this book is the filth that is described in detail that Jimmy and Crake watch on the Internet. I really didn't need to read about the hugely inappropriate things that were done with both children and animals and how Jimmy had no hesitation in watching these things, or how Oryx has no judgments for her abusers. For a sufferer of that kind of abuse, she is really understanding and compassionate toward those horrible men. Why should I care about Snowman's lot in life? Isn't it the author's job to make me care about the main character? My curiousity about Atwood's work has been satisfied...I now know she writes trash and that I will never waste my time again!
on August 9, 2009
I love all of Margaret Atwood's books except this one... I just could not finish it despite several tries... and I have read some pretty tough books in all of my university years (2 degrees)... I just got rid of it and would not recommend this book to anyone.
on February 8, 2005
I did not care much for this book. I know it has loud praising reviews galore, but for me it just didn't meet the hype. It's not a bad book, it's just not as entertaining as I expected based on the hype.
on July 4, 2007
For years I have heard what a wonderful writer Margaret Atwood is. The hype, the awards, the media attention, all-raving about this `marvellous' author. I thought, given the glowing reviews I had read, and the fact the storyline sounded appealing, I'd pick up a copy of Oryx and Crake. I wish I hadn't. While Ms. Atwood may be touted as a world-class writer, I beg to differ. Being able to write endless crass filth and garbage, peppered with foul language does not make for a good read. Uncomfortable yes, good no. I stopped my voyage into these repulsive pages short, and decided to use the book in the only manner that seemed fit. To date this has been the most expensive piece of kindling I have ever purchased. I can most assuredly say that I will not make this mistake again. To say you can write, then produce something that is full of disgusting visuals and inappropriate language is a slap in the face of all genuine authors. Unfortunately this is the type of swill that many people enjoy, and no wonder, since this tripe is flaunted as acceptable and the norm.

To me the only thing this book accomplished was the destruction of numerous innocent trees to fuel the minds of the twisted. Save your money and time.