4.0 out of 5 stars excellent
I've read most of Margaret Atwood's books. This, by far, is one of my favorites. This author has a way of pulling you into the stories and feeling the feelings of the characters. There is also a lot meaning behind her words.
This was truly a fast read. I really liked the character, Rennie, although at one point in the book I was ready to clobber Paul for her...
Published on March 8 2002 by Jeanne Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't read past the first chapter
I have enjoyed many of Margaret Atwood's books. This wasn't one of them. I am not sure whether to blame it on the book or the timing.
Published on Jan. 11 2012 by David Sabine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't read past the first chapter, Jan. 11 2012
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, March 8 2002
Jeanne Anderson (Swartz Creek, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
If you like Margaret Atwood, don't miss reading this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated It, Oct. 19 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Unbound)
I chose to read this book for a book report project in English because I had heard such great things about it, and the author Margaret Atwood. The beginning of the book was okay, and I reallie liked the main character Rennie. But as I continued to read I found that the story was dragging, and wasn't seeming to get any better along the way. I kept expecting something interesting to happen, or for the story to take a twist for the better but it never did. I didn't even want to finish the book, but I had to for my English class. This was the first book my Margaret Atwood I had ever read, and it almost turned me off her all together. (and believe me, I love to read, and had never been this turned off by a book before) Luckily I decided to try reading the Handmaid's Tale, and really enjoyed it, but I would never recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness and cheer abound, Dec 29 2001
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
Sure it does. It is very much not a good idea for a reader to attempt to psychoanalyze an author through their own works, because not only will you probably come to the wrong conclusions, but the ones you do come up with will probably creep you out just a little bit. To whit: Margaret Atwood probably is a delightfully cheery woman who quite enjoys life and all she encounters . . . however that sure doesn't come across in her novels. In her best novels the misery her characters suffer often eventually dovetails into a gloriously insightful epiphany of sorts. And in other cases you often feel like just guilty reading the book, after a while you get the impression by continuing to read you're furthering the character's Job-like troubles. Life Before Man was a bit of a downer but at least it was spread over four people . . . here poor Rennie has to take it all on the chin herself. Young woman journalist Rennie is sent to a Caribbean island to write a vacation type story . . . what happens is quite simply the vacation from hell. There's really no other way to put it. Nobody is what they seem, Rennie is totally out of place and things start getting very serious before anyone knows what's going on. However if that's all there was to the book then it would simply be a matter of plodding on to see what Ms Atwood is going to do next to poor Rennie. To save the story, Atwood details Rennie's crumbling relationship with her boyfriend, as well as her relationships with both her family and others . . . these quasi-flashbacks (some are given as monologues, though I'm not sure who she's talking to) are interspersed throughout the novel and are where the story truly shines. When she wants to Atwood can get right to the heart of a person and choose the exact right words to get the emotions right. The ending alone is one of the best examples of a stark prose style I've ever seen. So ignore the quasi-political intrigue plot and instead focus on a masterful character study by one of the few authors who know how to get such things right. The feelings she reveals may be painful but you can't argue that she's all that far off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rennie as the 'every woman', June 18 2001
"cilice" (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
Although I have not read many Atwood novels, when I pick up one of her books I expect to be provoked intellectually and emotionally. Bodily Harm kept me reading well into the night, and I was amazed at Atwood's ability to write so evocatively. I noticed early on that while I did not like Rennie, the main character, I did empathize with her. Before breast cancer hits her, Rennie is the 'every woman' and not in a positive sense. Breast cancer and the ensuing chaos in her life leads her to question her purpose as a survivor. The theme of finding a purpose in the midst of tragedy is used often in popular fiction, and Atwood does a good job with it. The synopsis of this book sounds trite, but in actually, the book is very dense and stimulating. It is replete with symbolism and meaning, and I will be reading Bodily Harm again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Journey through the nightmare of cancer, Oct. 11 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
From reading the other reviews, it doesn't seem that folks are seeing this for what it is: a metaphor for Cancer. Atwood creates a perfect world to represent the main character's trip to hell as her Cancer takes over. The symbolism is incredible and I found her willingness to end the book the way she did really quite brave. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a richly layered text.

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical Attwood, Oct. 4 2000
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
A good book. At times unendingly long and hoerndousely pretentiouse. The book backtracks into boring epesodes. It is still however a good read, though Attwood has surely turned out better books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange but Compelling, Aug. 29 2000
Amazon Customer "amykk25" (Centerville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
Though I wouldn't consider this my favorite Atwood novel, it is a good one, nonetheless. Atwood has a way of involving you with her characters, even if you don't necessarily like them. I couldn't put this book down, because I was so intent on finding out the fate of the heroine. Part mystery and part romance but all introspective, I'd recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is difficult to read., July 4 2000
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
Alright, maybe you have to be extremely sophisticated to understand this book. Or maybe I just wasn't up to the task. I adore Atwood's work, largely speaking. I love the play on gender issues, the windows onto the character's personal worlds, the suspense and tension Atwood can introduce and tease into page-turners... But this book? Maybe it's because it spent so much time developing a "politics" sub-plot, or because it took place on an island that was difficult for me to render inside my head... but I just never understood what was going on. Never exactly understood, never could get "connected" enough with anything to care. That's so weird, since I get completely wrapped up in her other stories and novels, and I've read them all. I don't want to give this book a thumbs down, for fear that it's my own lack of skill *as a reader* that made the book so opaque and boring... but at least this review might give you some information pertaining to the apparent difference in this work from Atwood's others, you know?

5.0 out of 5 stars Faint at heart; beware, June 23 2000
This review is from: Bodily Harm (Paperback)
Atwood quite enjoys probing the intracasies of the female psyche. In this novel she truly captures the essence of a woman at her most vunerable. Atwood again holds to her favorite relationships between sex, politics and desperation. As the main character attempts to regain her footing in reality she slowly gets thrown into a deeper state of confusion from her new surroundings which she scarcely understands. Atwood is a intense writter who requires a mature audience, she doesn't waste a word and it is easy to get lost in her stories.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bodily Harm
Bodily Harm by Margaret Atwood (Paperback - Oct. 5 2010)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16