4.0 out of 5 stars A great read

3.0 out of 5 stars No Closure
Published on Sept. 4 2006 by Andrea Buckley

3.0 out of 5 stars No Closure, Sept. 4 2006
Andrea Buckley "A. Buckley" (Guelph, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Paperback)
I found the book beautifully written with well developed characters. However, I found there were several disturbing sub plots that came to no conclusion whatsoever. I found myself wondering when the plot was going to bring me around to something hopeful. It never did. I appreciate that an author doesn't have to neatly wrap up all his plot lines but I didn't find anything hopeful or thought provoking after finishing the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries way too hard, March 26 2006
Ben Spooner "BenSpooner" (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Paperback)
I read this book based on the recommendation from Guy Vanderhague on the back cover. The first half I enjoyed, but the second half was a struggle for me to get through. There were too many one or two sentance quotes by a character followed by entire paragraphs on how "bitter" his tone of voice was, etc.
I certainly agree with the previous review in that Jamie's horrific experience seemed to have absolutely no relevance on the story and was almost completely ignored afterwards. ??
I would not recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars LIfe is tough and then gets tougher, May 5 2005
Reader of all sorts. (Vernon, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I read The Island Walker, on the recommendation of a work associate who has appreciated the same books as me. This one didn't cut it for me, however. Beautifully written, I'll give it that, and a strong and dramatic set of themes - very "book club". Without knowing anything except that it was a "really good book", I was filled with dread early on, as it seemed to be hauntingly like "A Fine Balance" - the foreboding tone just deepened. Like life, I guess, is the reason the book was hailed as being "epic" - challenge, tragedy, sorrow upon sorrow, some horrifi... but the joys were so fleeting and anxiety-ridden, they couldn't really be enjoyed by the characters ( and thus this reader). In desperation, I skimmed through part of it closer to the end to see if the resolution would give me some meaningful satisfaction, some sense of hope. Sigh.No such luck. So I read on... Life in tough times - but there are always tough times. The endurance, perhaps, is what my workmate found meaningful for her. For me , I simply endured the tragedy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Competent Novel, June 19 2004
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this novel. I like books set in my home province, with real characters and real situations. If you like fiction, you should like this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Walked with the wrong Walkers, March 17 2004
John Mutford "John Mutford" (Iqaluit, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Hardcover)
Bemrose's The Island Walkers intrigued and impressed me at first. His ease switching from one character to the next was masterful. That's about as far as my compliments will go. After all was said and done, I didn't like this book. I thought that despite switching from one character to the next, Bemrose focused on the wrong characters, ie., Alf Walker (the father) and Joe Walker (the oldest son). I could not have cared less about Alf's union problems when Jamie (his youngest son) had had such a horrific experience. Jamie's story would have been more compelling. Initially after reading what happened to him (I won't offer any spoilers) I felt like vomiting. It was that awful. But then the subject is essentially dropped (not entirely- it did pop up in his nightmares but it was not a focal point of the book). Who could care about unions, extramarital affairs, or highschool romances after that? Likewise, Margaret (the mom) and Penny (the daughter) seemed to play minor characters and in my mind (granted maybe its just a personal taste thing) the book suffered for it. In other cases, switching to the stories of side characters was just unnecessary. Joe's history teacher, for example. You get one small glimpse into his world and the matter is dropped. I wished Bemrose had gone all out or not at all. And the supernatural thing? I didn't get it. It felt silly and really out of place whilst under the illusion of having some higher meaning.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, Feb. 17 2004
Jerry Larocque (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Hardcover)
Attawan,a knitting mill town, is the setting for this wonderful book. Follow the trials and tribulations of the Walker family, each member lovable, but dysfunctional as a family. Individual secrets and lack of communication saboutage the family who must also deal with management/union problems taking place at the local knitting mill. Tragedy helps to bring back stability and hope to the family.

ARRAY(0xa3508e28)

The Island Walkers
The Island Walkers by John Bemrose (Paperback - Aug. 24 2004)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88