5.0 out of 5 stars Real Information
Published on July 26 2006 by Irene

3.0 out of 5 stars Foods that fight cancer
Its an excellent resource, I love it! It gets only three stars because the binding fell apart easily, may have just been a bad batch. Regardless, I would buy it again.
Published on Oct. 23 2011 by E. Sherwood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Information, July 26 2006
Irene (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet (Paperback)
I purchased this book thinking it was going to provide me with a general rundown of why certain foods are good vs. bad, generally encouraging me to take care of my body to prevent cancer, and maintain health. In fact, I am extremely fond of this book. Reading it is like holding a meeting with myself about how to be healthy, how to feel better, how to fuel and care for my body, not just what to feed it, but why. It is a very informative text loaded with practical information based on real scientific experimental findings, not just magazine-type information loaded with blanks and subjectivity. For anyone fighting cancer, fearing cancer, or simply looking to take care of themselves with what is available in the supermarket, please take the time to look at this book. It is easy to read, chunked up into chapters with recaps and easy to understand diagrams. It is a true bridge between the scientific community, and the behavioral options we have. Check out the Authors as well, as they are very credible sources for the information they are providing. My book is currently being passed around in my family like a big hug.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book, superb, but the cookbook not so., Feb. 26 2009
This book gives you just enough science/biology info to understand WHY certain foods prevent/fight cancer, and why others encourage cancer. Photos and diagrams break up the reading and provide welcome illustrations of the principles discussed. Very clear and concise reading. I've given away 2 copies of it, and now need to buy a few more to give away again.

I will say, however, that I purchased the companion Cooking book, and was very disappointed with it. Sugar is included in many recipes, and sugar was clearly indicated in Foods That Fight Cancer as being lethal. So while I'd highly recommend Foods That Fight Cancer, I'd like to dissuade anyone from purchasing the companion cook book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting cancer at the cellular and molecular level, July 7 2006
Melinda Vale (Kemptville, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a good summary of what cancer is, how conventional medical treatments work, and how nutrition can be used to block the development of tumours. The authors present their information in an attractive format with lots of nice graphics. It's very cool to read about the specific types of molecules in each food and how these molecules prevent and/or fight tumours.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, Jan. 29 2007
YEMANA (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book that describes in simple terms why each food selected is good to fight and prevent cancer. Although written with "cancer" in mind, the recommendations in this book would apply to anyone who wants to choose a diet for health.

The same authors have also written a recipe book, based on their findings, "Cuisiner avec les aliments contre le cancer". The recipes in this second book, prepared by the best Chefs of the Province of Quebec, are fantastic and easy to prepare. If you want healthy "Haute Cuisine" made simple, you won't find a better book. This book now only available in french, should be available in english very soon.

Both books would be a valuable addition to your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has enhanced my life., Aug. 23 2006
This book ,is bound to change and enhance the lives of so many.

In Foods That Fight Cancer; the authors tell us, the how and why of good eating habits. Presented in clear concise words, photos, and illustrations.

A meaningful work of science; that people can easily understand.

In time I would hope that this message will be spread far and wide.

Peter, Thornhill

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all parents, Jan. 27 2007
I. Dobson "Free thinker" (Thunder Bay, Ont) - See all my reviews
As other reviewers have noted, this glossy, well illustrated book provides a good balance of scientific research and easy to understand explanations of the facts. Unlike other popular cancer books, the authors clearly separate facts from conjecture and are actively involved in legitimate research projects. As a physician I was amazed at how many misconceptions I had about cancer and diet, and have already made significant changes to my lifestyle as a result of this book. As a parent I was equally amazed at the role of diet in childhood as it relates to the development of adult cancer.

70% percent of cancers are potentially preventable. If all Canadians applied the information in this book to their own lives, imagine how many deaths would be prevented and how much money we would save our health care system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve your life: read this book and share the knowledge, Feb. 8 2007
A. C. Potvin (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Do you like to breathe filthy, polluted air? Your lungs and your brain immediately tell you to avoid it. Our relation to food is more complex, dealing with emotions. The impact of bad food on our system takes a longer path than air in our lungs. But it's time for us to take ownership of our diet.

Almost a third of all cancers are diet-induced.

Dr Béliveau explains in clear and simple terms how our food and certain molecules work to clean, protect and enhance our body. He sheds light on the complex chain of chemical processes that take place after our intake of food. The more you read, the more you feel in control and ultimately, everything makes perfect sense: after all, weren't we always told "what you eat is what you are"? Yes, the food we eat is transformed into flesh, blood and... life. We should take our responsibility towards our body more seriously.

And everybody rejoice: the food that helps us is also beautiful and delicious! To sum it up: eat tons of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. But there is much, much more to be discovered in this essential book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Specific and easy to read, Nov. 9 2007
This book is true to its title. It is a book about preventing cancer by using the foods that are proven to reduce the risk of cancer. It is based on a research performed by the author at University of Montreal. The author does not suggest any supplements but he focuses on foods containing well defined active anticancerous molecules. The book is very specific and goal oriented. Take the time to read the book if you want to prevent yourself from this terrible disease. The book is easy to read, and understand with a load of practical information. Another great book in this category is Cure the Incurable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise information that may save your life, Dec 18 2009
Dianne Worley - See all my reviews
This book contains loads of valuable information in a concise manner. The graphics are attractive and add to the clarity. What Beliveau and Gingras discuss, in great detail, the chemicals and molecules in the foods and their anticancer effect. They also discuss synergies. Green tea and curcumin taken together increase the death of cancerous cells four times more than either food taken alone. Pepper (piperine) increases the plasmic curcumin concentration by a factor of 1,000. Some of the chemicals in food block carcinogen action and others block the promotion and progression of cancer cells. Considering the toxic environment we live in and the lengthy list of side effects for drugs, treating food like neutraceuticals and taking responsibility for our own health is empowering. The foods listed in this food are easy to buy and the majority of them taste great. Although they prefer that you get them from the actual food itself, there are also organic products like flaxseed oil that are easier to access than grinding the seeds every morning (although flaxseeds taste okay in porridge and sprinkled in yogurt). I intend to buy this important book for family and friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book !, June 5 2006
Don't be fooled by the title: this is definitively not the usual "eat your vegetables and be healthy" book. Of course, everybody know that good eating habits mean good health; however, this book goes much further by providing state-of-the art analysis of what's going on in research labs and on how these findings can be used on a day-to-day basis to reduce the risk of being hit by cancer. I read dozens of books on that subject and this one is definitively the best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet
Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet by Denis Gingras (Paperback - May 23 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 106.22