5.0 out of 5 stars Real Information
Published on July 26 2006 by Irene

3.0 out of 5 stars Foods that fight cancer
Its an excellent resource, I love it! It gets only three stars because the binding fell apart easily, may have just been a bad batch. Regardless, I would buy it again.
Published on Oct. 23 2011 by E. Sherwood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Information, July 26 2006
Irene (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet (Paperback)
I purchased this book thinking it was going to provide me with a general rundown of why certain foods are good vs. bad, generally encouraging me to take care of my body to prevent cancer, and maintain health. In fact, I am extremely fond of this book. Reading it is like holding a meeting with myself about how to be healthy, how to feel better, how to fuel and care for my body, not just what to feed it, but why. It is a very informative text loaded with practical information based on real scientific experimental findings, not just magazine-type information loaded with blanks and subjectivity. For anyone fighting cancer, fearing cancer, or simply looking to take care of themselves with what is available in the supermarket, please take the time to look at this book. It is easy to read, chunked up into chapters with recaps and easy to understand diagrams. It is a true bridge between the scientific community, and the behavioral options we have. Check out the Authors as well, as they are very credible sources for the information they are providing. My book is currently being passed around in my family like a big hug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting cancer at the cellular and molecular level, July 7 2006
Melinda Vale (Kemptville, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a good summary of what cancer is, how conventional medical treatments work, and how nutrition can be used to block the development of tumours. The authors present their information in an attractive format with lots of nice graphics. It's very cool to read about the specific types of molecules in each food and how these molecules prevent and/or fight tumours.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has enhanced my life., Aug. 23 2006
This book ,is bound to change and enhance the lives of so many.

In Foods That Fight Cancer; the authors tell us, the how and why of good eating habits. Presented in clear concise words, photos, and illustrations.

A meaningful work of science; that people can easily understand.

In time I would hope that this message will be spread far and wide.

Peter, Thornhill

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, Jan. 29 2007
YEMANA (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book that describes in simple terms why each food selected is good to fight and prevent cancer. Although written with "cancer" in mind, the recommendations in this book would apply to anyone who wants to choose a diet for health.

The same authors have also written a recipe book, based on their findings, "Cuisiner avec les aliments contre le cancer". The recipes in this second book, prepared by the best Chefs of the Province of Quebec, are fantastic and easy to prepare. If you want healthy "Haute Cuisine" made simple, you won't find a better book. This book now only available in french, should be available in english very soon.

Both books would be a valuable addition to your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all parents, Jan. 27 2007
I. Dobson "Free thinker" (Thunder Bay, Ont) - See all my reviews
As other reviewers have noted, this glossy, well illustrated book provides a good balance of scientific research and easy to understand explanations of the facts. Unlike other popular cancer books, the authors clearly separate facts from conjecture and are actively involved in legitimate research projects. As a physician I was amazed at how many misconceptions I had about cancer and diet, and have already made significant changes to my lifestyle as a result of this book. As a parent I was equally amazed at the role of diet in childhood as it relates to the development of adult cancer.

70% percent of cancers are potentially preventable. If all Canadians applied the information in this book to their own lives, imagine how many deaths would be prevented and how much money we would save our health care system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve your life: read this book and share the knowledge, Feb. 8 2007
A. C. Potvin (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Do you like to breathe filthy, polluted air? Your lungs and your brain immediately tell you to avoid it. Our relation to food is more complex, dealing with emotions. The impact of bad food on our system takes a longer path than air in our lungs. But it's time for us to take ownership of our diet.

Almost a third of all cancers are diet-induced.

Dr Béliveau explains in clear and simple terms how our food and certain molecules work to clean, protect and enhance our body. He sheds light on the complex chain of chemical processes that take place after our intake of food. The more you read, the more you feel in control and ultimately, everything makes perfect sense: after all, weren't we always told "what you eat is what you are"? Yes, the food we eat is transformed into flesh, blood and... life. We should take our responsibility towards our body more seriously.

And everybody rejoice: the food that helps us is also beautiful and delicious! To sum it up: eat tons of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. But there is much, much more to be discovered in this essential book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and scientific, Dec 24 2006
Monica Garvie "yumi" (ottawa canada) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the real and scientific terminology used in the book. Lots of references to specific research that has been done (as opposed to just saying 'studies show..') Good pictures and charts, easy to understand and great insight on what a healthy cancer-preventing diet should contain. Great book to read and keep as a reference in your library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Foods That Fight Cancer, Aug. 30 2006
This is an excellent book that walks the reader through the science of cancer prevention through diet. The presentation is clear, concise, and very well organized. The pictures and charts accompanying the text do a very nice job of supporting the text material. I see this book as a "must-have", for anybody interested and concerned about a healthy life-style. Beyond simply cancer prevention, the diet ideas presented provide the reader with a template for healthy eating - that will undoubtedly have many physical and mental helath benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book For You and Your Loved Ones, Aug. 17 2006
Lindy (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This book is simply written and easy to understand.The author talks to the reader and not over our heads. We can all avoid visits to the Dr. by following the author's advise and imagine the savings on our strained medical system! This book provides the information we need to take charge of our own health and tells us how to eat intelligently. We all know what foods are good for us but this book explains the science behind it! Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book, superb, but the cookbook not so., Feb. 26 2009
This book gives you just enough science/biology info to understand WHY certain foods prevent/fight cancer, and why others encourage cancer. Photos and diagrams break up the reading and provide welcome illustrations of the principles discussed. Very clear and concise reading. I've given away 2 copies of it, and now need to buy a few more to give away again.

I will say, however, that I purchased the companion Cooking book, and was very disappointed with it. Sugar is included in many recipes, and sugar was clearly indicated in Foods That Fight Cancer as being lethal. So while I'd highly recommend Foods That Fight Cancer, I'd like to dissuade anyone from purchasing the companion cook book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet
Foods That Fight Cancer: Preventing Cancer through Diet by Denis Gingras (Paperback - May 23 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 81.49