5.0 out of 5 stars Requires concentrated focus
Author Sandra Birdsell's tale reveals how an old woman now living in Canada recalls her dark past. Readers will revel in how Birdsell evokes a time and place that they rarely, if ever have even heard about: how a Mennonite community was devasted by the Russian Revolution.
Published on June 18 2003 by Donald D'Haene

3.0 out of 5 stars Need a quiet space in which to read this book.
Published 2 months ago by Lynn Adamson

5.0 out of 5 stars Requires concentrated focus, June 18 2003
Donald D'Haene "Author, Father's Touch" (London, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Russlander (Hardcover)
Birdsell herself was born and raised in Manitoba, the 5th of 10 children and her family's origins trace back to Russia. Says Birdsell, "Twenty years ago, my great-uncle self-published his memoirs. In reading it, I realized what kind of a life my grandparents had before they came to Canada. I tried to write a short story - I wasn't wise or old enough. It's a book I had to grow into."
Birdsell began writing in '82 at the age of 40. The Russländer, her third novel, is a realistic, balanced portrayal of a group of people, written from the point of view of a religious sect, their beliefs and disbeliefs. It's not a Christian book, but the people are devout Christians.
This novel was written for a secular audience, but to state that The Russländer requires concentrated focus is an understatement. Fortunately, the effort will be rewarded. Birdsell writes with an uncanny knack for observation and detail.
In 2001, The Russländer won the Saskatchewan Book Award for Fiction, the Saskatchewan Book Award for Book of the Year, the Regina Book Award, and was a finalist for the Giller Prize.
In 2003, it deserves a second look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Need a quiet space in which to read this book., Dec 31 2014
This review is from: The Russlander (Paperback)
I had a hard time reading this book. My attention really wandered which usually means it is not interesting to me. I think this book is well written and the story is certainly of historical importance but the use of "foreign language" words interspersed throughout took away from the flow of the plot. Also, too many characters without a appropriate introduction or inclusion of some character background was annoying to me. I made myself finish the book and enjoyed the story but it is not a favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandra Birdsell, a Canadian Author to be enjoyed in the classroom, July 19 2013
This review is from: The Russlander (Paperback)
As a student of Canadian Literature I had never been exposed to the writings of Sandra Birdsell. As an instructor i will now offer The Russlander to my third year class. They are bound to be delighted.

The Russlander
The Russlander by Sandra Birdsell (Paperback - Aug. 20 2002)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16