5.0 out of 5 stars A real-life look at what it takes to be Canadian rocker
A fantastic book! If you are a fan of the band, or of Canadian music in general, you won't be able to put it down. I guarantee that after reading this book, you'll never think of the music industry in the same way again.
Published on May 23 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars BITTER
Published on June 11 2012 by Brian Isleifson

5.0 out of 5 stars A real-life look at what it takes to be Canadian rocker, May 23 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock (Paperback)
This book is really two books in one, blended together. First of all, it tells the story of Dave Bidini and the Canadian rock band "Rheostatics". Fans will relish all the interesting twists and turns of the band's career, while non-fans will be heading to their local music store as fast as possible to hear what these guys sound like.
Bidini's writing is intense and very personal. From the stinking tour bus to the bright lights up on the stage of Maple Leaf Gardens, you'll feel like you're right there with the band.
The second aspect of the book is a collection of interviews with Canadian musicians who led the way back in the 70's and 80's. These snapshots of life in the rock biz are the most the most honest you're likely to come across. Crazy, hilarious, heartbreaking, and sometimes disturbing, they are an invaluable historical resource for the Canadian music scene.
Buy this book, and once you've read it, go buy some Rheostatics CDs. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars great reading, July 4 2013
great on the road story of the Rheostatics. A great Canadian Rock & Roll Story, And in B.C. A must read

2.0 out of 5 stars BITTER, June 11 2012
Brian Isleifson (Saskatchwan,Canada) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this book or parts of it to be more accurate. After reading the first few chapters I was quite impressed with the author and his self-deprecating writing style. I also really enjoyed the personal asides from the various celebrities who were veterans of the touring business. The stories from members of bands such as Max Webster, April Wine, The Guess Who and many others gave the book the two stars I think it deserves. As I was reading I came upon a passage that descibed Rod Stewart and Eric Clapton as old geezers and the likes of Bryan Adams as lazy . From that passage on I quit reading the authors story and read just the veteran rockers story. Coming from a member of a band who had moderate success here in Canada,and to be honest from a band I had never heard of,I thought the author came off as bitter and jealous,especially of the Tragically Hip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff of Legends, with Bad Weather and Long Roads, June 9 2004
Renee Thorpe (Karangasem, Bali) - See all my reviews
You don't have to be a Canadian or even KNOW any of the bands in this book to enjoy the stories as told by the rockers themselves.
It's simply a great collection of road tales in the ever-entertaining realm of rock and roll touring. Of course, the fact that 2 gigs in the same province can be a day's drive apart, makes Bidini's collection ever the more fascinating.
I simply could not put the thing down. Plenty of laughs and funny stories, a couple of shockingly painful stories, and some priceless moments of insight into Canadian popular culture, human interaction, and the music business.
A great gift for your Rockin' and Rollin' friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried, it's much better than Hammer of the Gods, April 23 1999
Written during his band's cross-Canada tour, Bidini's stories as one of the founding members of the Rheostatics are interspersed with interviews he conducted with some of the biggest music legends of our time.
Some people start playing an instrument after they hear a great song. Bidini's book will make people want to start their own bands. Descriptions of first gigs, first band break-ups and first record deals offer amazing insight into an industry and a life that goes far beyond ghost-written rock and roll 'autobiographies' both emotionally and intellectually. Bidini is a gifted writer.

1.0 out of 5 stars May be interesting for followers of band, but not captivating otherwise., March 21 2012
Karen Dudzinski (Aurora, ON CANADA) - See all my reviews
I received this book as part of my Canada Reads 2012 package and feel slighted at its inclusion in this Can-Lit review. It is a disjointed following of the Rheostatics along with input from many other industry-related professionals in a "post-it" format. There is no real cohesive flow to the book. I enjoy the 'bits' by Dave Bidini, but all of the other inputs following Dave's writings completely interupt any sort of followable story line. I agree with previous reviews that you'll probably enjoy it if you're a devout follower of the band, but as a "good book", I'm afraid I don't agree at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Interesting. Cool anecdotes., Jan. 15 2012
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
I haven't read all of it. I started, then got interrupted or distracted and haven't yet had the urge to pick it up again. It's as though I saw the first 20 minutes of a good movie and was then interrupted. I wonder, is my life better or worse for having NOT returned to finish it!?

On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock
On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock by Dave Bidini (Paperback - Oct. 1 1998)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.33