1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Tribute..., Oct. 1 2006
K. Brown (London, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
My reason for purchasing this book was based not only on my passion to learn more about WW1, but to discover what my great-grandfather endured at the Somme.

Sir Martin Gilbert beautifully describes the events leading up to the battle, providing the reader with details, but not smothering them with countless facts.

I personally liked how he included many names of the men killed, as well as the cemetery or monument that marks their name. It is a touching tribute to what these individuals sacrificed. Furthermore, as he states, if you are to visit any of these monuments/cemeteries, it would allow the reader the opportunity to pay tribute to these soldiers.

The Battle of the Somme brought to light the horrors of what my great-grandfather experienced. I had always known that the Somme was a horrific battle, but to read it in further detail provides me with the reasons why he did not survive and return home.

I thank Sir Martin for writing this beautiful book and for giving my great-grandfather, as well as millions of others the honour they deserve.

The Battle of the Somme: The Heroism and Horror of War
The Battle of the Somme: The Heroism and Horror of War by Martin Gilbert (Paperback - Oct. 23 2007)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 17.10