Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools

The Battle of the Somme: The Heroism and Horror of War
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$17.77+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 1, 2006
My reason for purchasing this book was based not only on my passion to learn more about WW1, but to discover what my great-grandfather endured at the Somme.

Sir Martin Gilbert beautifully describes the events leading up to the battle, providing the reader with details, but not smothering them with countless facts.

I personally liked how he included many names of the men killed, as well as the cemetery or monument that marks their name. It is a touching tribute to what these individuals sacrificed. Furthermore, as he states, if you are to visit any of these monuments/cemeteries, it would allow the reader the opportunity to pay tribute to these soldiers.

The Battle of the Somme brought to light the horrors of what my great-grandfather experienced. I had always known that the Somme was a horrific battle, but to read it in further detail provides me with the reasons why he did not survive and return home.

I thank Sir Martin for writing this beautiful book and for giving my great-grandfather, as well as millions of others the honour they deserve.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again