5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life ... ...
This book literally changed my life.
Published on May 14 2010 by Jean Stephanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very one sided
I was given this book for my birthday and the first time I read it I had trouble finishing it because I didn't like the polemics. Since then I have read it a couple more times, and my first reaction to this book has not changed my opinion of it. I will not argue about the unpleasant activities which he ascribes to various religions, but I have difficulty agreeing...
Published on Jan. 2 2009 by David Oldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life ... ..., May 14 2010
Jean Stephanson (Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything (Paperback)
This book literally changed my life.
I was so relieved to find within it all the intelligently constructed arguments that rang so true with me that I no longer felt any pangs of guilt for not believing in "the Faith of my Fathers". I loved this book. Now I feel I must read all the rest of Hitchen's books. It's all there. The total proof of evolution lies just down the road in the Burgess Shale. Now I have no doubts. There is no god. Man invented him in his own image. I don't need it.
Thank you Christopher Hitchens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Nov. 21 2008
What appears to be a polemic attack by Hitchens, is really nothing more than the robust confrontation that religion's baseless assertions need and deserve. This book, and others like it, are way overdue.

Buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review by someone who actually read the book, May 22 2007
This is by no means a hateful book. In fact, those who have become used to Hitchens' sometimes cut-throat prose will be surprised at how restrained he is, and how quick he is to acknowledge, say, the equally-ghastly crimes of the secular dictatorships of Hitler and Stalin. Then he points out how both regimes were abetted by the church.

The contention by "J" that Hitchens argues that "religions are closed-minded and have only brought about the oppression of women and children without any knowledge of the social and intellectual advances that many religions have afforded us" is proof positive "J" has indeed not read this book. Hitchens simply balances the claims of religion versus the results and argues that overall, religious dogma is merely a holdover from the time when humans had little to no information about how the world is actually constituted. While he does skirt around the shortcomings of scientific reason, Hitchens rightly reminds us that science has actually enhanced the mystery of "creation" rather than spoiling the fun.

Hitchens may be a lot of things: a misanthrope, a contrarian, and sometimes a bit of an arrogant jerk, but to say he is a "closed-minded journalist" without having read this work (which is shot through with references to the Classics, religious scholarship, science, history and literature) is an insult to Hitchens and the book-buying public. Hitchens can look after himself; the book-buying public is so advised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Command of the english language, June 22 2009
Kyle (Kingston Ontario) - See all my reviews
Extrordinary book, very comprehensive review of the damage relegion has done to our world, very challenging to read, this author has an exceptional command of the english language

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchens Is Very Well Researched, Dec 9 2008
Patrick Sullivan (Kingston, Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The subtitle, How Religion Poisons Everything, pretty well sums up the entire book. Hitchens sets out to destroy every aspect of the worlds religions.
And I think he accomplishes his goal. Hitchens is an atheist, but has done so much research into the topic of religion. His arguments against religion are very well made.
I heard Hitchens commenting about his book. He mentioned this was a personal issue for him. In the seventh grade he started to question religious beliefs. It was the first thing that he really thought about. I also had the same feelings in the seventh grade about religious beliefs.
In summary, I would say that this book basically says everything about religion, that most people are afraid to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars God may not be great, but this book is., Sept. 22 2007
It doesn't matter if you are religious or not to thuroughly enjoy this book. Hitchins is artful writer and essayist who knows how to leverage substantiation techniques to craft very clear and accessible arguments. However, it is important to remember that this is exclusively a critique of religion and how it can (as the subtitle explicitly states) poison everything. It is not, and nor should it be, a cross-comparison with all the arguable good, religion has contributed to society; for which I'm sure there are plenty of other texts already available. As a critique, you will perhaps not find a better stated case against religious institutions and the dangerously unreasonable and fanatical belief they inspire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd been giving it credit..., Dec 31 2008
Ronald W. Peters "Ron Peters" (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
I'd been disinterested in Hitchens' book for some while. God has seemed mainly irrelevant to me of late, so the recent spate of God-bashing books didn't really register. Then a friend gave me a copy, and I realized that it's more important than I had been giving it credit. It reminded me that it's not adequate to ignore members of organized religions and hope they'll return the favour - because that is not and will never be good enough for them. We need to remind ourselves of the aspects of institutional religion that continue to be morally harmful, and plan how we can counter their debilitating effects. So, I'm grateful to Hitchens for nudging me back to a more active stance with respect to the positive evils associated with organized religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitch at his best, Sept. 8 2011
The chapter "Religion Kills", should by itself carry enough weight to at least make someone ponder the terrible,stupid and dangerous things that are born from religious ideals. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys new age philosophy, and is interested in the very important topic of religion within our societies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading if you have an open mind., March 10 2014
As usual Hitchens pulls no punches and hits everyone where they deserve it. Well written (although not long enough) and something that everyone should read, although anyone with a closed, indoctrinated mind will surely trash this book (if they even get past the cover). Too bad we won't be reading anything new from Mr. Hitchens. We miss you Hitch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Acid, Dec 13 2013
Rob Slaven "slavenrm@gmail. com" (Zionsville, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This bit of intellectual argument was the last of eight reads for the month and it almost didn't make it into the list at all. Hitchen's thesis is a very common one and one that I tend to agree with in principle but his delivery is so caustic that it tends to lose both halves of his audience. No religious person will be moved by his statements as he begins with such obvious hatred and disdain that nobody can wade through the maze of attacks the first 20 pages represent. By the time he finally settles down into a less vigorous polemic one cannot help but take all he says with a grain of salt. While I want to believe that the Catholic Church was complicit with Hitler's extermination of the Jews, for example, I find myself unable to take Hitchens' word for it by the time he gets around to saying it. Grains of salt aside though, in those areas in which I have some independent knowledge (nonsensical nature of the Bible, Christian sexual mutilation of male children, devolution of the church into 'entertainment', bizarre origins and beliefs of the Mormon church) I find it hard not to agree with the author almost completely. If even half of what he says is true, we're all in some deep s***. But then again, mankind generally is.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (Paperback - Sept. 2 2008)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43