march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 1, 2009
A small sized book that is more prose/poetry if there is such a thing. I was looking for a more historical and enlarged story. But alas I had only 40 brief vignettes to read. Interesting but not compelling!
A good history book without the historical depth?
on January 18, 2010
I bought this as a gift, after reading my copy bought a few months ago. It's a lovely book design, with thoughtfully written pieces concerning each of the times the Thames froze over. Humphries is able to evoke the detail of the era, and puts a voice to the people that doesn't seem possible in the short few pages that each story takes. I will order again as a gift, and re-read my copy...
on May 24, 2012
I discovered immediately that this is a book that must be savoured. I read only one vignette a night, one profound moment in time that left me thinking for much longer than it took to read. I love the small format and the carefully chosen pictures (did the painting illustrate the story, or the story illustrate the painting?). A truly delightful book.
on March 14, 2009
This was a lovely little book, full of touching, interesting, startling stories. Although I never considered myself a history buff, this book made me think otherwise. I loved it so much I bought three more copies to give as gifts. It is a book I will re-read time and again.
on February 10, 2010
The most beautiful and simply written book. I loved it. If you enjoy history this is for you, Very short stories (2-4 short pages) with a common thread running between each story. I have read other Humphries books and they are just as good.
on December 2, 2015
A very unique look at the famous river and it's significance. I loved it!
on August 11, 2014