summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 22, 2015
I thought I know everything there was the know about the Oil Sands, but after reading this book I realized that there are always 2 sides to every story. I thought I was against the Oil Sands because of all the propaganda about it... But this book makes alot of good senses. I like how the author takes you through all the countries that produce oil and how they operate, not just in the industrial, but also environmental and human rights. The author gives you lots of scientific evidence that support the Oil Sands - like how the Oil Sands companies have cut their CO2 emissions by 38% in the last 5 years. The author goes through all the the hype and scandals. How the environmental groups aren't all they make themselves out to be. I was extremely impressed with all the information that was layed out in easy lame-man's terms so I could understand. I'm trying to get everyone I know to read this book so they can see the other side of the "field" and see that even if we were to shut down the Oil Sands we would still be dependent on Oil and that Oil would be coming from another place that has worse environmental, human rights and industrial actions/motives. Do we want our oil that has caused deaths/murder, or the destruction of the environment. Or from a country like Canada free, liberal and tolerant.
on May 17, 2015
Very good read for people wanting to understand the b.s. propaganda for Alberta oilfields. When I first started reading it, I had to do a few fact checks, because the information almost sounds falsified. As I read further into the book. And the more fact checking I had looked into. I'm a reformed anti Alberta oilfields reader. I wish we pumped more oil from tar sands.
on September 16, 2010
I'm a liberal and someone who cares greatly about the environment. I am aware however that a lot of causes that are supposed to be helpful for the environment such as recycling are not as beneficial as we would perceive and you can't believe what you hear from biased groups such as Greenpeace and co.

Ethical Oil is Ezra's take on why Alberta's Oil sands are the best option to supply the world with oil. He makes extremely logical and straightforward points and his writing is clear and articulate, I feel sorry for those people who will debate him on this topic ( see the poor guy from Greenpeace here: [...] ). This book should be essential reading for Canadians as the Oil Sand issue is going to be a big topic in our near future and Canadians should be well informed on the issue and get all sides of the story.

Although most of us are aware that oil comes from parts of the world that we'd rather not send money too (Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, etc) we don't really think about it. Ezra's book really makes you understand what you're financing when you're buying oil from these parts of the world and why Canadian oil is the best option.
on March 9, 2016
It does not make the compelling case I expected. A title like "Ethical Oil" makes it seem as though there would be a defense of the ethics regarding our natural resources. However, instead of defending the ethics we use, this book seems more focused on simply comparing Canadian Oil Sands to the ethics of other countries, oil extraction/production methods and tarring all with one brush. I found that many of the arguments made in this book were easily refutable. The idea in this book is basically that we are good by comparison. Which is not the same as saying that we are ethical in our own endeavors.
on September 28, 2014
A book most of the lib-left, tree-hugging types won't bother to read. Nor would they publicly agree with Ezra if they did take the time to read it.
on June 6, 2015
I just read this book and it is very good. It becomes abundantly clear that Canada's Tar Sands is less worse than several others with respect to environmental impact but also from the perspective that most of the alternative producers are countries with vastly greater human rights violations etc.

It also exposes some disturbing facts about some of the environmental groups, i.e., those that seem to have gone rogue from my perspective!
What really caught my attention was the section on Greenpeace.....

But keep in mind that the issue of climate change remains...... With the right balance between economy and environment, there may still be a chance that Canada could come out on top so as to lead from the environmental perspective without a collapsing economy. This book steers clear of the imminent time line in meeting environmental requirements.
on February 5, 2016
This book automatically comes with some bias as it is written by everyone's favorite Canadian, conservative, talking head Ezra Levant. Throughout the book he does make good points that are often neglected by the environmentalist who often don't understand what they would be sacrificing for a world without hydrocarbons. The book is well written from a perspective than many would be fearful in taking.

The issue I take with the book is that he has an underlying theme that because Canada is a stable place to produce oil that we shouldn't strive to deal with global warming or environmental concerns because we are already better than the 3rd world nations who produce oil. As a first world country we should be constantly trying to get better and improve, not simply saying that we're better than most countries so that's good enough.
on October 26, 2015
Makes some good points but feels self-righteous in pointing out the self-righteous hypocrtiicalities of other actors concerned about the oilsands.

I would have preferred the author address more than twisted statistics presented by organisations like Greenpeace and consider what Canadians and industry are doing/could do more regarding aboriginal rights, reclamation, etc.

I'm only 6 chapters in but will update if the time changes and the author does more than set up straw men.
on February 13, 2016
A very good read by an eloquent author. Is Ezra biased? Sure he is - so what? We all are in one direction or another. But I'll take his opinions over any reviewers here or elsewhere that trash his work and within the context of their weak diatribes refer to the Alberta oil sands as the "tar sands". Listen up haters ... tar is man made! When you can't get even that little fact straight you've lost all credibility.
on March 25, 2016
Well researched and argued. While Ezra is one of those people that folks seem to either love or hate, I would highly recommend setting aside personal views and read the book. Consider the merits of the arguments themselves, not the presenter, and you will come away with a more informed and objective view of Canada's oil sands. You will also never look at foreign oil through rose coloured glasses again.