Published on April 21 2011 by Len

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious!
Well, I certainly agree with those who said this book isn't very funny. I've been struggling with this book for over a month now. It tries but just doesn't cut it. For humour it can't compare to the Leacock Awrd winner Ian Ferguson's, 'Village of the Small Houses", a man who I think is funnier than his brother Will.
Published on Dec 1 2011 by TJ

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable romp that takes the predictable and still makes it fun., April 21 2011
Len (Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
Daniel Addison, the narrator, decides to quit his job as head speechwriter for the opposition leader to teach English at the University of Ottawa. As a condition for deserting his beloved Liberal Party, Daniel promises to find a candidate for a local riding held by the popular Conservative Finance Minister. In desperation, Daniel promises an old professor that he will teach his English for Engineers' class in exchange for the professor's name on the ballot. On the campaign team, he's joined by a retired candidate living in a senior's home and two punk alternative students from his English class. It seems like an unlikely winning combination but of course, the outcome is not as predictable as anticipated. 'Best Laid Plans' is an enjoyable romp that takes the predictable and still makes it fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Political Satire at Its Best, Dec 20 2012
Barry Francis (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
The Best Laid Plans
By Terry Fallis

It's not hard to see why author Terry Fallis won the Stephen Leacock Award for his first book "The Best Laid Plans." It is hilariously witty.

A satire on Canadian politics, the book chronicles the rise of reluctant (and supremely unlikely) political candidate and Liberal MP ‒ Angus McLintock ‒ through the eyes of nerdy professor and former political operative David Addison.

McLintock earns fame and respect by defying every conceivable Ottawa convention and speaking truth to power. Aided by an ugly sex scandal and a dishonest budget, he casts the deciding vote that topples the Tory government. Ultimately deceit is punished, honesty is rewarded and the good guy gets the girl.

All in all, a great read. There is a sequel. Watch for it!

Barry Francis

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious!, Dec 1 2011
TJ (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A FABULOUS Entertaining BOOK, April 9 2011
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
Terry: Thank you for having the confidence to self-publish this book in 2007! I chose the book for my book club to read this April after listening to "Canada Reads". I am looking forward to their comments. Who knew we would be in an Election now! Very timely to be reading this book at this time! One needs a laugh at Politics! The characters are colourful personalities and entertaining in their own way. Angus McLintock's conversations to his wife were heart warming and one would not have expected that from him. This book is the most entertaining book I have read since the Millenium series. My husband was wondering why I was laughing so much. He decided to read it and is laughing too. "The High Road" is another great read!! Keep on writing. Faye

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, March 8 2014
Gordon Ritchie "Woodpusher" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
With very few exceptions (notably House of Cards in its original British and current American versions), attempts at political fiction fall flat. They are either strictly by and for insiders and are poorly written; or they are written by authors who have no real appreciation for the intricacies of modern politics and settle instead for cardboard cutout characters.
This is a remarkable exception, doubly exceptional in that it is Canadian. I can think of no other Canadian political fiction that achieves the same quality. It is very well written and, in places, absolutely belly-laughing hilarious. Yet is does bear a recognizable resemblance to actual goings on in Canada's capital.
I first came across this in the form of a very well done CBC miniseries of the same title which I very much enjoyed. That led me to the book on which the television production was, at least in part, based. The book was, in its own way, excellent and the quality was continued in the highly entertaining sequel, High Road. I cannot remember when I have laughed so hard at any account of the tragi-comic world of Canadian political shenanigans.
I highly recommend both these excellent books to Canadian readers.
(I am afraid much of the humour will be missed by those "from away".)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, June 27 2011
Jilly the Reader (Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
I enjoy politics, but when considering this book, I thought, do I really want to read fiction about Canadian politics in my spare time? I thought it would be a snoozer. Fortunately I chose not to be small minded. I really enjoyed the book. I enjoyed the characters, plot, and comedy throughout. Terry Fallis does an excellent job of pointing out some of our (Canadian) short comings. I imagine those who vote Conservative would not enjoy the book, and perhaps also those who vote NDP, because they are not cast in the most favourable light. I am not a Liberal supporter but that did not affect the pleasure I got from this book. Terry Fallis wrote some beautiful passages in this book, my favourite being: "As Canadians' respect for democracy declines and their distain grows, we tend to abandon the greater good, follow the politicians' lead, and grab what we can for ourselves. We give up and accept things as they are, leaving us trapped in a perpetual cycle of self-interest". I could not agree more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Politics at its most wonderfully absurd, Dec 10 2007
This book manages to walk comfortably a very fine and funny line between taking a serious look at Canada's political system, warts and all, and telling a truly funny story. It could have so easily slipped into the cynical and rediculous, but it instead makes us want to root for the system and the poor guy who is trying with all his might to run a losing campaign. It is sensative, fun, an easy read and leaves you wanting more. Humour may be the hardest thing to write, but Fallis has a knack that forces you at points to laugh out loud. His description (using Parliamentarty language) of the finding his girlfiend in an her MPs office late at night engaged in "proceedings" is a classic that will be quoted for years by anyone who has ever worked in Parliament.

Buy this book for anyone you know who has an interest in Parliament. Buy it for anyone you know who has an interest in politics. Buy it, even for those we all know who are cynics about our political system. It will make them laugh out loud and make them care about our democracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Canadian book, May 9 2011
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
I'm often disappointed in books by Canadian authors, especially those that win prizes. However, this one is excellent!!! Well written, excellent turns of phrase and most important of all, funny! Humor is the most difficult kind of writing but this author knows his stuff. A very appropriate read after our stunning Federal election. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - full of joy and suspense and delight from beginning to end., May 7 2014
I am at best a non-fiction reader - what my family likes to call "Dad's boring books!" But when I tell them about this one they may have to tweak the line - it will need to include some reference to brilliant political satire as a type of truthful fiction (and anything but boring).
R^5

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, May 16 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
If you're Canadian and into Canadian politics, you just might like this book. There are jokes in here, and some of them are actually funny. The premise is basically "what would happen if somebody who didn't care if they were elected actually was elected, and didn't owe anything to anyone, and could just speak their mind and do whatever they thought was best". Of course, that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing, but in this book it is. The Scottish thing is a little weird if you're not Scottish, but that's pretty minor.

The Best Laid Plans
The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis (Paperback - Sept. 5 2008)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43