5.0 out of 5 stars Fat and sassy, March 12 2009
E. C. Sheedy "EC" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my sister, who is an amazing cook! But I couldn't resist reading a good portion of it myself. Not only is it well written, what it says about the nemesis that is fat goes a long way toward changing how we view this *natural* substance. But then it's always worthwhile to look on the other side of an issue. And in this book, the author did just that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Novice, May 8 2014
ATC123 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My wife likes cooking (so do I to a lesser degree) and I bought this book for her, although I read it as well. The book is well laid out and both the font and content make it for an easy read. It is however, not for a novice and in reality it is for someone who has already done a lot of cooking and wants to expand their range. In many ways it is like going to a cooking school, except you have to put in a bit more work since there is no one to show you. If you like entertaining guests and they enjoy food, this is an excellent book and it gives you a range of ideas (and recipes) that will impress visitors to your house. If you are expecting recipes that take 10 minutes and are meant to feed three kids at lunch, this is not the book for you. If however, you want to learn and expand your cooking skills this is an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So charming and awesome, Dec 2 2013
AS a paleo eater, I'm in love with fat. Obviously these recipes aren't paleo, but I love the respectful discussion of my favourite ingredient. I'm pouring over this happily and passing it on to my non paleo friends in a gift exchange. A kitchen class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat, Oct. 29 2011
I have always had trouble encouraging customers and clients (and even family) to try foods that make use of the fat and all parts of the animal. Jennifer McLagan has helped overcome this problem with her book. It gives explanations that are simple, accurate and hard to argue with. Now even some of my most serious anti-fat people are giving it a go.

Doug Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific book, Jan. 3 2011
C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book says some things that I believe needed to be said. It really is time to reassess some of the prevailing dietary 'wisdom'. There are some great things in this book I wish to try and I enjoyed reading all the supplementary material. Some more pictures would be nice but that's only a minor quibble.

Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes by Jennifer McLagan (Hardcover - Sept. 16 2008)
CDN$ 37.95 CDN$ 23.79