5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dogs....
If you love dogs, or even if you just have a sense of humour.... or maybe if you have misplaced your sense of humour... this is a wonderful read. Fun from page one through to The End.
Published 6 months ago by Phyllis Crowe

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with serious reservations
Published on Feb. 12 2001 by agilicairn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with serious reservations, Feb. 12 2001
agilicairn (Richmond, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I must speak a dissenting voice to all the glowing reviews of this book. Mowat is, no doubt, an excellent naturalist, and many of the adventures described in the book are very entertaining. However, I am very disturbed that, although the author is ready to defend HIS pets with his shotgun against other animals, he pretty much gave his own animals not just free rein but also encouragement to kill the pets of others. Mutt the dog is deliberately set on a woman's cats, and the "secret cemetery" of neighborhood cats filled by his pet owl is described with almost pride.
Also disturbing to me is the author's attitude toward women. Any complaining woman is described as "spinsterish." The "Cat Lady" whose cats the author set his dog on to attack and kill was described as harboring "yearning hope" for a male intruder to come and presumably do things to her that I don't want to refer to in a review that children may read -- the implication is pretty strong, with a reference also to the Sabine women.
I may get flamed for this review, but I feel that these are very poor attitudes to be subtly or unsubtly conveying to children. I find it very unfortunate because I endorse the author's work as a naturalist.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dogs...., Jan. 4 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Feb. 25 2013
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
A funny, quick moving story, a wonderful recreation of ones own upbringing, especially if you had a dog as a child

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and whimsical, Aug. 2 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
I have to admit, we are only halfway through the book so far, but it is so good I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a premature 5 stars. I am reading it to my six year-old boy, and never having read Farley Mowat before, I didn't realize it would have such "advanced" vocabulary, which made it laborious to read aloud at first, but we haven't quit, and now we are absorbed in the story of this unusual and amazing dog! It doesn't bother my son at all that half of the vocabulary is beyond his comprehension. He is captivated by the story. It just gets better and better as we go, and is a wonderful story of a boy and his dog--the dog that wouldn't/couldn't! be...A great story for children and adults alike. (barring a disappointing ending...we'll see when we get there.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog who Wouldn't Be, March 9 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
This story is as funny as I remember it. I thoroughly enjoy reading Farley Mowat. I would recommend this book to anyone who knows a bit about Canada, the Prairies and the behaviours of dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for dog lovers!, Jan. 16 2002
C. Gochicoa "corieg" (Dryden, NY United States) - See all my reviews
When I read this book, I laughed so hard that my belly hurt! I heartily recommend it for anyone who needs a break from the serious realities of life...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it back into print!, Oct. 20 2001
Frank H. Straus (Springfield, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I was astonished to find "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" is apparently out of print in 2001. I easily found a copy in the Springfield, Illinois city library, but it ought to be buyable in the marketplace for those who want to have it and keep it.
Have you ever wondered what your grandfather was like when he was a boy? The "yarns" and stories in this book may give you some clues. Don't believe for one second that all the adventures related in this book are strictly true. Mowat is a great storyteller and he, like Mark Twain, took his memories and made from them something great and wonderful.
This book declares war on all of the cats of the world, as one of my fellow reviewers has correctly noted. Cat lovers beware! You won't like this book. For everyone else who wants an idealized window on the lives of boys growing up in the 1930s and 40s, take a look. The boys you see in this volume are not boys any more. They are grandfathers. They won't be around forever. If you want to know and love them better while they are still here, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beg, borrow or steal, but read this book., March 11 2001
Cork C. Kyle (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Chock full of incredibly poignant stories of a young mutt growing up on the Canadian praires, with his human Farley in tow. Read it to yourself, your dogs, your children, your chickens. This is a book not to be missed!

3.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, June 16 2014
Very good book. I started to really understand the way it used to be in Canada. I hope to read more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the book - Zero Stars for whoever is keeping it off the US Market!, July 20 2013
Mike Farris (Redfield, AR USA) - See all my reviews
I don't understand why I can't buy this book for my Kindle . . .

My favorite book as a child and the only way I can read it is on paper. Makes no sense at all!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat (Paperback - Aug. 4 2009)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 10.82