5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it back into print!
I was astonished to find "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" is apparently out of print in 2001. I easily found a copy in the Springfield, Illinois city library, but it ought to be buyable in the marketplace for those who want to have it and keep it.
Published on Oct. 20 2001 by Frank H. Straus

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with serious reservations
I must speak a dissenting voice to all the glowing reviews of this book. Mowat is, no doubt, an excellent naturalist, and many of the adventures described in the book are very entertaining. However, I am very disturbed that, although the author is ready to defend HIS pets with his shotgun against other animals, he pretty much gave his own animals not just free rein but...
Published on Feb. 12 2001 by agilicairn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it back into print!, Oct. 20 2001
Frank H. Straus (Springfield, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Have you ever wondered what your grandfather was like when he was a boy? The "yarns" and stories in this book may give you some clues. Don't believe for one second that all the adventures related in this book are strictly true. Mowat is a great storyteller and he, like Mark Twain, took his memories and made from them something great and wonderful.
This book declares war on all of the cats of the world, as one of my fellow reviewers has correctly noted. Cat lovers beware! You won't like this book. For everyone else who wants an idealized window on the lives of boys growing up in the 1930s and 40s, take a look. The boys you see in this volume are not boys any more. They are grandfathers. They won't be around forever. If you want to know and love them better while they are still here, read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The lighter side of Farley Mowat, May 30 2000
Owen Hughes (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a light-hearted book by Farley Mowat, a writer with whom we normally associate more serious texts. Yet Mowat is just as fun-loving as the next person and it comes out in this collection of stories about his youth in Ontario and Manitoba. Mutt, the dog of the book's title, is a dog who very reasonably refuses to act like one. So he won't hunt ducks properly or do much else that is reckoned too dog-like, at least while anyone's watching. Mutt was Mowat's constant companion throughout many boyhood forays into the wild country around wherever he happened to be living. On the prairies in the 1920s and 30s, he says, it was easy to get out in the bush, because it started right where the town stopped. You just had to walk out. So began Farley Mowat's lifelong love of the natural world. Indeed, he made a pretty good naturalist by the age of ten and earned himself a minor living for a time, through the dubious activity of collecting birds' eggs. This is an easy book to get along with and one that would probably be enjoyed by children. Indeed, I assume it may well have been intended for Mowat's own children. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic dog story book, July 17 1998
By A Customer
This is one of the funniest books that I have ever read. Mutt, the dog, comes to the family in a basket filled with ducks. The father in the story wants an expensive pure bred dog for hunting. However, mother circumvents this by plucking out the dog, paying one cent, and saving lots of money. There are plenty of misadventures in the story, from mutt retrieving a stuffed pheasent in the city (after father pointed his shotgun and said bang), to climbing a ladder into the eccentric womans house filled with 50 cats. There was the encounter with the skunk (in the basement of the house) and the time father accidentally used bluing to clean the dog. The part about the owls is funny and interesting as well. Needless to say, Mutt has many adventures, all of them hilarious I have read this book many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time favorite, May 11 2000
james k siegman (Elmhurst, Illinois) - See all my reviews
I read this for the first time when I was in about 6th or 7th grade and loved it. It was my introduction to Farley Mowat and since then I have read many of his other works.
This book is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. I loved it 30 years ago when I was a kid (maybe 11 or 12) and I enjoyed it again last year.
The story is about the life and times of Mutt, the dog that entered the Mowat family and grew up with Farley. Mutt is all dog and a little more. Frustrated with the local cat population and their dominance of the fencetop and rooftop world, he learns to walk fence tops. He develops hunting and retrieving techniques that are the talk of the country -- literally! Each chapter is a new story, a new adveneture into the life of Mutt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy dog in Canada, Nov. 27 2000
Franklin L. Greene "frank" (Loudon, TN USA) - See all my reviews
When my daughter was small, her repeated request was 'read about the skunks, Daddy.' I don't think it was the topic (crazy dog, hyperactive kid, sleeping skunk, dirt basement, dead of winter and a garden hose) as much as even after having read it to her dozens of times I still broke up when I got to the line beginning 'A rich golden haze...' (I just cracked up writing this.)
This is a book for anyone who has ever loved a dog or a squirrel or a chipmonk or a garter snake or ever rode a two wheeler and pretended it was a horse or walked in a field or wished 'why didn't I ...'
No child should be forced to grow up without watching their parents snort coffee through their nose while trying to read 'The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Beg, borrow or steal, but read this book., March 11 2001
Cork C. Kyle (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Chock full of incredibly poignant stories of a young mutt growing up on the Canadian praires, with his human Farley in tow. Read it to yourself, your dogs, your children, your chickens. This is a book not to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dogs...., Jan. 4 2014
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
If you love dogs, or even if you just have a sense of humour.... or maybe if you have misplaced your sense of humour... this is a wonderful read. Fun from page one through to The End.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Feb. 25 2013
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
A funny, quick moving story, a wonderful recreation of ones own upbringing, especially if you had a dog as a child

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and whimsical, Aug. 2 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
I have to admit, we are only halfway through the book so far, but it is so good I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a premature 5 stars. I am reading it to my six year-old boy, and never having read Farley Mowat before, I didn't realize it would have such "advanced" vocabulary, which made it laborious to read aloud at first, but we haven't quit, and now we are absorbed in the story of this unusual and amazing dog! It doesn't bother my son at all that half of the vocabulary is beyond his comprehension. He is captivated by the story. It just gets better and better as we go, and is a wonderful story of a boy and his dog--the dog that wouldn't/couldn't! be...A great story for children and adults alike. (barring a disappointing ending...we'll see when we get there.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog who Wouldn't Be, March 9 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Paperback)
This story is as funny as I remember it. I thoroughly enjoy reading Farley Mowat. I would recommend this book to anyone who knows a bit about Canada, the Prairies and the behaviours of dogs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat (Paperback - Aug. 4 2009)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 10.82