summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on September 2, 2013
but...boring. Sorry, maybe that`s just me, but I found this book extremely slow. I am a voracious reader, and just finished a 700 page war saga that was captivating, so perhaps my tastes don't transfer to a story about, in the words of the author, "A boy [Michael] getting on a boat...and getting off a boat." Even the unusual setting and the interesting mob of characters didn't do it for me. Sorry, Mr. Ondaatje. I'm not your audience. But don't fret. There are thousands out there who will disagree with me.
on November 10, 2011
To me a good book is a book that I can't put down. I easily put this book down. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading the reviews, but I was disappointed.
on September 20, 2011
No need to rush out and purchase The Cat's Table . Whether you choose to read it or not, you will not lose out either way. I am glad that my copy was from the library.

While Ondaatje takes pains to tell us that the book is fictional,it reads like an impressionistic memoir.
Our eleven year old ( and sometimes adult) narrator Michael tells the tale of traveling by ship from Colombo Sri Lanka to the UK.The cat's table is where the least privileged sit to eat meals.

The book is not a demanding read,nor does it give much back.The story moves very slowly, there are some interesting characters and small events, but overall The Cat's Table is a somewhat boring read.The supposed climax is a rather large anti-climax. I certainly enjoy many slow paced reads,but I expect there to be something of interest to ponder on from such a novel. This was not the case with The Cat's Table.

Quoting from the book jacket"The Cat's Table is a thrilling, deeply moving novel" , I must admit that I found the book to be neither. It was merely mildly interesting.

Why is the book on the Giller LongList? Because the author is Michael Ondjaatje.
on October 21, 2011
I usually don t buy books without some checking unless they are certain beloved authors. And that method sometimes burns me. This is one such occasion, and I have to agree with the reviewer D Forbes who said that it doesn t much matter if you read this one or not. It is a story, mildly evocative, somewhat tedious to read. It dragged on beside my bed for 4 nights,
on March 15, 2015
It's just not that great as some seem to think. In the Skin of a Lion is where it's at.
on November 17, 2011
I received this book as a gift and I was excited, because I have not read any Ondaatje before - although I watched the English Patient movie. The first one-third of the book seemed quite superficial and I almost gave up (but it was a gift, so I could not). For a while I was glad I persevered, since something seemed to be happening, there was a sense of an up-coming climax. Then for a while it was quite good, but unfortunately slipped back again into just a well-written story. It is well written, but I am quite certain that in a year from now I will no longer have any idea of what it was all about. I don't think you'll hate it, but don't lose any sleep over missing it.
on November 16, 2015
abit boring
on September 21, 2011
Was a good book but their was a bit of stretch with the characters. He jumped from the time on the ship to in my humble opinion to other times in the life of the characters that was barely related to the plot.