march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 1, 2011
Vanderhaeghe follows the #1 rule of novelists - don't be dull. He also incorporates a great deal of history skilfully and seamlessly into an endlessly readable story about the Canadian west. He incorporates both the Fenian attack at Ridgeway and Sitting Bull's excursion into Canada - an eyebrow raising confluence of big Canadian historic events, but it doesn't feel forced. Wesley Case is the central character in this novel - he's a friend of Major Walsh who became a friend of Sitting Bull during his Canadian stay. He participated in the Battle of Ridgeway and is haunted by a shameful secret from that event. Shame and his desire to set a destiny apart from his father's political manipulations motivates in large part what he does throughout the events of this book. Wesley Dunne is the villain of the book, a thoroughly human and thoroughly despicable character who we nevertheless can understand if not sympathise with. Ada Tarr fills in the triangle.

As you might guess, Vanderhaeghe uses conventional literary structures and elements - this is not an experimental novel. But he combines and innovates with them in surprising ways, resulting in a thoroughly enjoyable and fresh read. On any level - writing, entertainment, historicity - this novel is a must-read and a winner.
on August 1, 2012
I agree with many of the other reviews about the quality of writing and well researched plot, but just a heads up about some of the descriptions of graphic violence. Perhaps it was just my sensibilites, but Yikes, there were about three incidents where I couldn't finish the page it was so awful. Guy Vanderhague is one of my all time favourite authors but I can't call this book relaxing. Edgy yes. The quantity of letters written between Case and Walsh got a bit tedious too but the intent seemed to be to use them as vehicles for historical information, so I didn't skip any of those. Please Guy not so much detail in gore next novel!
on December 12, 2011
I love Vanderhaeghe, and enjoyed his latest novel, but -- The Last Crossing, in my mind was still his greatest work. I enjoyed the history lesson, and having traveled extensively though Montana (mostly via Canoe) loved thinking about the landscape in the novel. I will purchase many copies for the folks on my Christmas list, including my old cowboy father (very much like Walsh). Thanks Guy.
on November 4, 2014