4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
The tone achieved in this novel is nothing short of brilliant. I found this book to be incredibly compelling and am thankful that I came across it while studying English Literature at college.
Published on Sept. 17 2007 by sainte-carmen

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear.
I didn't finish. Too gloomy. The book was part of a Canadian Literature course. I refuse to believe that Canadian life is as gloomy as Canadian Literature makes you believe.
Published 1 month ago by Lamppu

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Sept. 17 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear., May 13 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars For our book club, March 19 2014
This review is from: As for Me and My House (Paperback)
I haven't finished it yet but it has kept my interest. A reallook at the difficuties of living in those times and in that profession. It has humour as well, difficult to do when times are hard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Candidate for the most boring book ever written, Nov. 28 2007
Jol O'Lantern (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
While I understand the views of other reviewers, and might concede that Ross' treatment is a vivid exploration of the bleakness of the life of the main protagonists, I would also suggest that in this novel, were "eliciting boredom" an Olympic sport, Ross could have bored for his country. Even the part of the book dealing with the husband's extramarital affair was tedious. Anyone with an interest in developing themes of boredom and indifference in their own writing would do well to read this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent--but not great--Canadian novel, Jan. 18 2004
K Scheffler (Canada) - See all my reviews
Whether As For Me and My House can be considered one of the "great Canadian novels" is somewhat questionable, but there is no denying that it is a profound, complex and evocative work of literature.
Set during the Great Depression, the story revolves around the domestic life of the Bentleys, who have come to a small, isolated Saskatchewan farm-community of Horizon, where Philip Bentley has taken on role of being the town's new minister.
Ministering is something that Philip, in fact has little desire to do, and is instead obsessed with painting, to the point where his wife--through whose perspective the story is told--is neglected. There relationship is essentially broken, but the reasons for this are not simple, and this essentially is the focus of the story.
Throughout the novel, Mrs. Bentley--who is never named because the work is written in the form of journal entries--continuously explores their history, their personalities and the effect of their confined lifestyle upon themselves and one another.
Over the course of their residence in Horizon she comes to realize that the break-down of their relationship, is not so much the fault of Philip's conduct, as we are first led to believe, but fact that both have allowed themsleves to become victims of circumstance.
As For Me and My House is definitely a work worth studying, but like I initially stated, I question whether it can really be considered one of the great Canadian novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canadian Literature at its' best!, April 28 1999
By A Customer
Through the journal entries of Mrs. Bentley, we are given a beautiful and complex novel of great importance in Canadian Literature. As a story of life during the depression, this book perfectly captures the trials of prairie life during this era. As Mrs. Bentley describes events in her journal entries, we are given a chance to not only accept the text at face value, but to read between the lines. Mrs. Bentley tends to say more by what she doesn't write than what she does. All in all, an incredible book and one which everyone should read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Nov. 2 2013
This review is from: As for Me and My House (Paperback)
Bought this for school. I haven't read it yet but the price was way better than purchasing directly from my university and it arrived in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and on time, Sept. 30 2009
This review is from: As for Me and My House (Paperback)
The condition was great, and the book was right on time, I could not be happier

As for Me and My House
As for Me and My House by Robert Kroetsch (Paperback - Jan. 8 2008)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68