5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this movie
Published on Jan. 24 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I would rethink this purchase...
Published on Dec 19 2003 by Chelsea Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God They Made The TV Version, June 18 2007
G. Williamson (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch:the Movie (DVD)
The Original movie lacked so much in comparison to the TV DVD SETS 1 thru 4 - The acting in the TV Versions and the Special Effects far outshine the movie version - probably because they were able to expand the plots and had more time to develop the special effects - Would recommend the TV DVD's FIRST....then watch the movie version....then you will understand the letdown I felt. Analogy Its comparing the (TV DVD's) horses front to it's (original movie) hind end (no comparison)!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars finally out to dvd, July 17 2004
ww fan (SB, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch:the Movie (DVD)
the worst witch dvd is a great addition to any collection. the movie stars fairuza balk in her second film, as well as many other favorites such as diana rigg and tim curry. this movie has been long out of print and now with it's dvd release many harry potter fans will enjoy this film. the only downfall to this dvd would have to be no special features which is why it loses a star. altogether a great movie and a joy to have on dvd. loved it as a child and will enjoy it with dvd quality picture now that my vhs is quite run down.

4.0 out of 5 stars An then there is Diana Rigg . ., Jan. 30 2004
C. T. Spence "The Oakhill Collection" (California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
Yes, I know -- old special effects (Have you been on the older rides at Disneyland lately? Do you still love them as much as you did when you were a kid? Then who cares that they're not "state of the art"!) This is a really sweet coming of age movie with some really comfortable acting. I had never seen Diana Rigg in such a nasty part before (she's done a lot since then) but I bought into the whole thing! Never mind that it's not Return of the King or even the original Star Wars, if you love comfort and fun, you'll love this movie -- and the actors in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this movie, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
Okay, so it's not the best movie in the whole world. Some of the special effects are cheesy and some of the songs are cheesy, but it's a cute movie. I watched it every year as a child and fell in love with it. I had to own it and now I do! I look forward to showing this movie to my daughter when she gets older, it's a piece of my childhood to share with her. That makes it more than worth it for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would rethink this purchase..., Dec 19 2003
Chelsea Johnson (Gilbert, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
Advice: never buy something purely for the sake of nostalgia. I did, because I remembered watching this movie so many times as a kid, fondly. Don't get me wrong, parts of this movie were campy and fun. But not enough to lay down about $15.00 for. Some of this movie is like dropping acid, it is so trippy. And the special effects are not dazzling, as they claim. I did not expect them to be, but they were the worst thing I had ever seen. Okay, if you loved it, there are some redeeming virtues. Fariuza Balk, a really cute pig and some kittens, some cool costumes... but besides that, I wouldn't ever buy this movie again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love Tim Curry, March 8 2003
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
Okay, so the special effects aren't George Lucas material and the songs are a little cheesy. But you can't dispute the acting. Charlotte Rae (sans Tootie from Facts of Life), Tim Curry (Rocky Horror, anyone?) and Fairuza Balk(taking the first steps down the witchcraft genre). Makes me reminiscent of Halloween in the 80's...don't you remember watching this as you got ready for trick or treating? Your brother dressing up as Van Halen, your sister dressing up in a store bought Punky Brewster costume. Buy the movie, get out your candy corn, and get the costume you always wanted but your mom wouldn't let ya (admit it.. you wanted to be Gene Simmon's from KISS but your mom thought the tongue would "scare your sister") It's good fun and great Halloween pick me up!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure if I saw the series or the movie, Feb. 23 2003
Thomas F. Hooker "bulmabriefs144" (Accomac, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
I saw the thing on TV when I first got 300 channels of cable, and I immediately said "this is like Harry Potter, I bet this is where Rowling her idea." Sure enough this was cited on an analysis of her book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halloween Entertainment, Nov. 11 2002
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
This movie is among the best when it comes to clean, fun halloween entertainment. Both my sister and I have been long time fans of this movie, and enjoyed watching it every year during the fall season. Along with many other people, we were extremely disappointed that the t.v. stations decided not to air The Worst Witch this fall. Many people I know opted to buy this movie. It's wonderful for all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, but a classic!, Nov. 6 2002
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
This movie is only good to children who LOVE HALLOWEEN, or for the aduts who remember watching it on HBO in the 80's. I'm sure you've seen it descibed in other reviews so you know what it is about, I just wanted to say, this movie is a classic to me. It just takes me back to being a kid again at Halloween time. So, if you are like me and you remember this movie always being on in the past (not the case anymore)and you loved it, buy it because it is VERY hard to find elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is this so addictive?, Oct. 21 2002
Briar Rose (Over the rainbow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Witch, the (VHS Tape)
There are several reasons to buy this video, but none of the reasons have to do with this being a high quality film. It isn't. This movie is of very poor quality. It has cheesy special effects, including blue screen flying scenes,poor sound, and stupid songs. Fairuza Balk is delightful as Mildred Hubble, the worst witch at Miss Cackle's International School for Witches. Halloween is approaching, and the school is preparing for the visit of the Grand Wizard, a powerful wizard as well as heart-throb to the witch community. Mildred's arch rival Ethel manages to sabatoge Mildred throughout the movie, and an embarassing encounter with the Grand Wizard is inevitable, especially since Mildred has made the broom squad.
Don't buy this if you want a good flick.
DO buy this if it reminds you of how much you loved it when you were a kid, if you are a kid who loves Halloween, if you are a die-hard Tim Curry or Fairuza Balk fan, or if you are desperate to have something that will tide you over until the publication of the next Harry Potter book.
I love this movie. I'm just not sure why.

Worst Witch, the
Worst Witch, the by Robert Young (VHS Tape - 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 18.88