4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
Published on Dec 30 2007 by Reader Rabbit

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Light Reading
From the first page, it is evident that this isn't Tamora Pierce, Patricia C. Wrede, Mercedes Lackey, Sherwood Smith, or even Trudi Canavan calibre of writing. That being said, fans of the aforementioned authors will enjoy this novel for what it is: a piece of light fiction.

Published on Jan. 28 2007 by Bronwyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Light Reading, Jan. 28 2007
Bronwyn "bronwynmaye" (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews

Poison Study does well in the plot department. I don't think I've ever read a book in which a food taster is the protagonist and an authoritarian leader is a sympathetic character.

On the other hand, I felt Poison Study fell flat when it came to the romantic relationship between the two main characters. There is undeniable chemistry and a veil of mystery (a la Court Duel by Sherwood Smith) but any romantic scenes are described in such abstract terms that you're not sure if the characters kissed, let alone did anything more interesting!

I look forward to reading the sequel, Magic Study, with the hopes that the auhtor's style will have matured in her sophomore effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Dec 30 2007
This novel starts out with a prisoner and a choice. Yelena Zaltana has been convicted of murder. She has murdered General Brazell's son and he hasn't forgiven her. So she is to be executed, that is, until, Valek, the chief of security, offers her a way out. She can become the Commander of Ixia's food taster and live in fear of death with every bite. This idea appeals to Yelena and so she escapes death. But death may seem welcome in the weeks that follow. Weeks that involve dodging the unforgiving General's men and surviving potentially lethal poisons....

The premise of this novel is excellent and the tidbits about food tasting are extremely interesting. They were, in fact, one of my favourite parts of the novel. Maria Snyder's writing is hooking. As soon as I finished Poison Study I immediately started reading Magic Study. I can't wait until Fire Study comes out in March.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book!, Nov. 24 2007
This was one of those books where as you are reading along you think to yourself 'why the hell did I wait so long to read this!?'. I can't think of any words right now to describe how good I thought this book was. I enjoyed it the whole way through and wanted to read it all in one go. Damn shame I have to work!

Not really my typical 'paranormal' reading this is more fantasy and the setting reminded me slighty of the 'Dhampir' series. Poison Study starts off simple enough and then the story unravels itself and grows into something addictive. The main characters are easy to understand and likable making this story even better.

I can't wait to read the next part 'Magic Study' and I am sure I will be buying 'Fire Study' when that comes out next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Books Review, Feb. 20 2011
(May Contain Spoilers)

I have wanted to start this series for the longest time. I've seen Poison Study pop up on blogs with always a lot of praise which naturally got me interested in reading it. Once I read the first chapter, I was hooked.

The story is about Yelena who is next in line to be executed for murder but she is offered a reprieve by becoming the Commander of Ixia's food taster. Knowing that life as a food taster is dangerous; when Yelena is offered the opportunity; she jumps at the chance to live. Yelena has had a horrific past which led to the murder she committed. Yet through it all she's strong, intelligent and brave.

At the beginning, I really didn't think anything romantic would develop between Valek and Yelena. He seemed like he would be the protector/father figure for Yelena. As I kept reading, I could sense that there was something more between the two that was just under the surface. Ari and Janco were great secondary characters too. They're both honest guys that see that Yelena is a good person and really look after her.

Now that I've read Poison Study I see what all the fuss is about. I've already order the second and third books and hope the rest of the series will be just as great.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great start to the series, Nov. 12 2010
This review is from: Poison Study (Paperback)
Book Club on Facebook introduced me to Maria's books and am I ever glad that they were on the suggestions page. Poison Study is set in a very interesting world with magicians who have been exiled from Ixia and Ixia has a strict political system.

Yelena is about to be executed but has a 2nd chance of life to be a food tester. Yelena is a very strong character she was put through hell during her teenage years and did the unimaginable to save herself which landed her in the dungeon. She doesn't put up with any crap from anyone. If someone tries to pull a fast one on her, she hands it right back.

I do love me some Valek. He is one hot assassin. He is also very protective of Yelena, when no one else is. I must have a thing for fictional characters that are protective of the female lead. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

I did not want to put the down this book down. Maria kept my attention; I always wanted to know what was going to happen to Yelena next. I just couldn't wait for work to be over so I could read at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting setting, great story., Sept. 21 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Poison Study (Paperback)
It took me a while to picture the setting for this book. I wasn't sure if it was a typical fantasy setting, or if it was an urban fantasy setting but using medieval props? it took me a bit to actually get the picture. It's an interesting way to create a world and I'm still trying to picture it. Some may have trouble with it (especially those who are so used to epic fantasy settings like in LOTR or in Forgotten Realms novels), some might picture it easily. I think what got me was when the different parts of Ixia was divided into 'districts'. Wait a minute. Fantasy doesn't do that. At least the fantasy that I am used to reading. So, you can see what I am trying to get it when I'm talking about the setting for this book.

From the start, there's a lot of intrigue and political scheming. Which is great because it adds more feeling to the story and you can't help but keep reading to wonder what might happen next. I really liked how Yelena got herself out from the state of being close to death and all of sudden a food taster, but also a 'frenemy' of Valek's. She was forced to trust him, but at the same time she didn't like being under his thumb. They had an interesting chemistry going on (until later in the book - where it became blatantly obvious). I had to admit though, I like Valek. (Yes, I have a crush on Valek, nothing new, read on). He's the strong but silent type that you can't help but be drawn to. I also enjoyed reading about Janco and Ari as they provided the comic relief but were also extremely likable characters. Yelena as a character is well written, I liked her because of her strong will to survive under her circumstances. It annoyed me when it seemed she needed the help of others though, it was as if although she was strong in so many ways, she was still a damsel in distress.

As mentioned before, the plot was good. It was interesting and in so many ways, a very entertaining and satisfying read. Although then came the part where I was suddenly blindsided with this romantic bit and then the plot did a very strange twist and it suddenly became a romance novel. Not sure if I really liked that bit (they were in hiding...and doing the deed and any guard searching DIDN'T HEAR THEM?) but I let that go. I wasn't about to have this little bump take the enjoyment I had of reading the novel. I'm more curious as to what the future holds for Yelena. Speaking of twists, I really enjoyed reading about the Commander's secret. I would have never thought of that and it is one of the most surprising and well done parts of the book.

Overall, I was pleased with the book and will continue to read the series. I thought it was well worth the read. However, perhaps this is not the perfect book for hardcore fantasy fans. If you want something with fantasy (or in this case, urban fantasy) with a splash of romance this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book you don't see coming, Dec 5 2007
L. Barber "Nome de Plume" (SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poison Study (Paperback)
Magic Study is the book that you see in the store and you think ...hmmm cool name way better cover art than the rest of my SF/Fantasy collection...I wonder. You pick it up, flip through the pages, don't really read any and decide it is probably a gimmick. Then you buy it anyway because the cover is Sooo pretty (and maybe hate yourself a little for being so shallow). You go home, sit on the sofa then read the first page. After than you can't possibly move for the next few hours and finally come up for air with a horrible neck cramp and the utter satisfaction that comes with being in the middle of a great story. You decide that it was your amazing subconscious book-radar that led you to your purchase, not a pretty cover. It has enough of the regular markers of the genre to make it a comfortable read but it is told in such a fresh way with very original twists that make it completely enjoyable. Yelena's is a world you will not want to leave. The story continues at full speed through the sequel Magic Study which tells a very new tale but still upholds the quality of the first. The third book Fire Study should prove to continue this tradition upon its release.

The only reason I dont give it 5 stars is bacause I never give anything 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars But I want the next one Now [whining], April 17 2006
This review is from: Poison Study (Hardcover)
A friend told me about this book and loaned it to me. Yum. I can't wait for the next one to come out.
Yelena gets off death row by agreeing to be the food-taster for the Commander of her country. She is given a poison which requires her to recieve a dose of antidote every day or suffer an agonizing death. She has a secret that, if discovererd, would land her another death sentence. Meanwhile, all is not as it seems at the castle and our food-taster is surrounded by enemies. Intrigue, adventure, and a bit of romance ensue.
Yelena is a fabulous character and her voice (as the narrator) feels real. Characters in general are complex with good and bad points and a variety of motivations. The exceptions would be the Bad Guys who are well and truly, deliciously, Evil.
Interestingly, in this book,: 1) a military dictatorship is not necessarily a bad form of government. 2) Chocolate is very, very tasty, but very, very bad for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, Dec 4 2005
This review is from: Poison Study (Hardcover)
This book is stunning! It captures your interest right from the first page and then keeps it throughout the book making you read on and on. I couldn't put it down. A definite must read for fantasy lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!, Jan. 4 2010
K. Wark "Born Again Book Worm" (Chestermere, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poison Study (Paperback)
FANTASTIC story with engaging characters and fast paced action. I just LOVED this book - stayed up 'til 2AM to finish it then promptly started into Magic Study the next day. Not sure what else I can contribute, over and above the already provided positive reviews, other than to say I was hooked from page one and will be re-reading these books over and over. Just awesome!

Poison Study
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Paperback - Nov. 18 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01