Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

The Firebrand
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$9.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 7, 2003
The thing I enjoyed most about this novel or the entire Chicago fire series is its background or premise. While a fire rages through Chicago, three friends who attend a finishing school together make decisions that help determine the paths of their lives.
In "The Firebrand", Lucy Hathaway, fleeing the fire, saves a baby dropped from the second story window of a hotel. When Lucy can't locate the parents, she adopts the girl. Five years later, she discovers that the baby's parents are alive, and is forced to make a heartwrenching decision.
For me, this book was a little too melancholy, and at times the sheer hugeness and potential sadness of the custody battle overshadowed or completely destroyed the romantic tension. Too much time was spent on background and clashes, and not enough time provided for the development of love between the protagonists. The romance part just wasn't convincing or hearwarming.
Although I appreciated the historical background, which I think is unique, and well done, this novel falls short on actual romance, which is bad since it's supposed to be a romance novel.
This book isn't bad, it's just unremarkable. If you want to read Wiggs, I suggest trying "The Charm School".
on November 7, 2002
This is the third story of SW's Chicago Fire Tragedy. In this story the super rich Lucy winds up with a baby in her arms after it is tossed out a window of a hotel.
She ends up raising the girl as her daughter. Then 5 years later while she is going into the bank for her loan extension on her bookshop she determines that the parents of her little Maggie are not dead after all.
I really enjoyed how they talked about strong women and their marches etc. to get the right to vote and how it was not only unpopular but in some cases not even very safe for all those who are close to them. You will also see Kathleen and Debra (from books 1 & 2) at different parts of the book.
It is a romance story so yes there is a happy ending with a new family etc... I liked this one 2nd, I still like Debra's story the best.
on May 1, 2002
THE FIREBRAND was entertaining from beginning to end. I have now read all of the Chicago Fire trilogy, and this one was the best of the three, followed by THE MISTRESS and THE HOSTAGE.
The little girl, Maggie, is adorable and a lot of fun to read. Probably one of the best-written children characters in any recent romances that I've read. You can see why Lucy and Rand love her so much.
Lucy Hathaway is refreshing because she is not a typical romance novel heroine. Katharine Hepburn, in her younger days, would have been able to play her very well.
Rand is also different. His calm demeanor blends well with Lucy's passionate beliefs.
I definitely recommend this book highly.
on September 16, 2002
Not one of her better books. I found it a little boring and will not re-read.