5.0 out of 5 stars These Things Hidden Keeps You Guessing Until the Very End
Published on Feb. 4 2011 by Marielle Bassel

2.0 out of 5 stars Somber, grim and grisly patched-together story.
Published 1 month ago by S Svendsen

5.0 out of 5 stars These Things Hidden Keeps You Guessing Until the Very End, Feb. 4 2011
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
I had heard of Gudenkauf's debut novel, The Weight of Silence, and how it had been praised by critics and readers alike. When I went to my local bookstore to purchase it, they were sold out but they did have a second book by the author, which is These Things Hidden. Having heard Gudenkauf's writing style is comparable to Jodi Picoult, who I also enjoy, I bought the book and took it with me on my recent vacation.

Let me just start by saying that I finished this book in a day. Not only was the storytelling seamless, the plot twists were so good that I had to keep turning the pages to see what was going on. Told in alternating narratives, each character had me scrambling to figure out their part in the story.

I won't give any spoilers, but I will say that after I finished this book, I immediately wanted to go back and read it again, to see the things that I had not seen the first time around. As well, I found myself thinking about the characters long after- about their love and their sacrifices and sadly how things could have been different for each of them. I urge you to read this book. If you like surprise endings, Gudenkauf will keep you on your toes until the very last pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story!, July 11 2011
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
This book kept me on the edge of my seat. The emotions of what these girls lived through. Betrayal, abandonment, rejection, guilt... The consequences of the choices made. Making it against all odds. Loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somber, grim and grisly patched-together story., July 16 2014
S Svendsen "Uni" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
Having read ‘The Weight of Silence’ and giving it a passing grade I thought I would pick up ‘These Hidden Things.’ Dramatic fiction requires credibility. Gudenkauf stretches it too thin in this novel. There were too many gaps in credibility. Among them that a young slim teenager could be pregnant to term with twins without her sister, parents and schoolmates having the slightest suspicion. Second that she seems oblivious herself that she is pregnant (she still had her periods?)! The other gaps have to do with the legal and justice system—slipshod doesn't even come close. Other gaps have to do with the unlikelihood of the four main characters completing the puzzle so neatly, and all living in close proximity. It was also most unlikely that the behaviour of the parents of the pregnant girl—churchgoing and well off middle class—would be so crass and cruel. Sorry, but I was not convinced by Gudenkauf’s plotlines. For the most part it is a somber, grim and grisly patched-together story.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor story line, Dec 13 2013
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
I thought this had the makings of a good story, but the characters were not well developed and there was not enought background/details. Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching story, July 9 2013
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
This novel delves into family dynamics in a painful way. Covering up a teen pregnancy and the ensuing results leave the reader anxious to get to the final page of the book. I found this book to be fascinating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not believable, March 21 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
This novel lacked a credible plot-line. When we learn why the "perfect" Allison has been sent to prison, it doesn't hit the reader as realistic. The story was relatively predictable. I did, however, quite enjoy the characters (the story is told through 4 perspectives: Allison, Claire, Brynn and Charm). Heather Gudenkauf does a great job of getting Allison's emotions on the page, however, her reactions seem very underdone. Given the "Crime" she has committed and the secrets she has, I would have expected more depth; more raw pain.

This novel is the story of Allison Glenn, the perfect teenager, who is sent to jail for a horrific crime. Her parents, and beloved sister Brynn want nothing to do with her. This book begins after Allison's release, as she tries to rebuild a life for herself and attempts to reconnect with Brynn, who has been seriously traumatized by the events that took place on the night of Allison's crime and the secrets between them.

Very easy read. If you are looking for something simple, without complex plot lines, this might be the book for you. I didn't hate it, but I've read better.

5.0 out of 5 stars breathtaking, March 3 2013
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
I have received this book has a Xmas git - I had read the review and it seems interesting - well read this book in a day could not put it down - will read the next one of her book for sure

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok....., Sept. 27 2011
This review is from: These Things Hidden (Paperback)
When I read the info on the book it sounded intriguing...however, the book was 'fluffy' with not much substance. It's a light read.

These Things Hidden
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf (Paperback - Jan. 18 2011)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68