5.0 out of 5 stars Great from-scratch recipes
I love this book. What Tessa didn't like is what I love. To my taste, too many slow cooker recipes begin with a can of this and a can of that. If I wanted to eat canned food, I'd just put it in the microwave.

Published on Feb. 4 2008 by Phoebe Littledog

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but too much prep work
Published on March 24 2007 by Cheryl Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great from-scratch recipes, Feb. 4 2008
This review is from: 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)

I don't mind doing the prep the night before, as long as when I get kids and myself home we can eat something good right away before we start snacking. Most of the recipes start with saute onions and celery. You can always dice a pile of onions, celery, carrots and have them in the freezer for use through the week.

All your prepped ingredients go in the crock in the fridge overnight, and in the morning you put the crock in the slowcooker and come home to the best aromas to great the tired and hungry. Kids love the food because they get to eat it when they are really hungry.

This is one of the most used cookbooks on my shelf. I pick out the recipes and shop on the weekend, and will often cook from it 3 times or more in a week.

Change your life. Eat good food. Lots of vegan recipes, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Feb. 19 2012
This review is from: 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)
I'm going through the book recipe at a time, and they are all yummy and simple. Every time I try a new recipe I know how good it will be and good for me too. I would recommend this book for anyone who is a vegetarian. As I write this I am cooking my next one right now. I like the tips that she suggests as well as suggestions on what to serve with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but too much prep work, March 24 2007
Cheryl Rhodes (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)
This book contains many delicious looking recipes but most are of no use to me. I'm the type of person who just wants to grab the ingredients, toss them in the crockpot, and go out for the day and come home to a nice hot meal. These recipes contain too much preparation work such as pre-cooking some vegetables in a skillet, using a food processor to combine ingredients, and using other pans, such as a loaf pan, to put in the slow cooker, add water, put a folded dish towel on, etc. The Tomato Mushroom Lasagna looked great and I set out to make it. First off I had to go to a green grocer and then 2 grocery stores before I finally found portobello mushrooms - 4 large ones cost $10. In fact by the time I added up all the ingredients I had to buy, including 3 different types of cheese this dish cost me over $30 to make. It was OK, but it wasn't worth $30. Likewise with a lot of recipes in this book. Many recipes include items that people may not necessarily stock in their kitchen. I know I certainly don't keep artichoke hearts, fennel bulbs, Swiss chard, and leeks as normal grocery staples in my house. So the recipes were a little too gourmet and fussy for my liking, but for company meals where it looks like you've spent a long time cooking, the recipes are great. Family dining, on a budget, rushed for time, not so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker savior, Feb. 12 2009
This review is from: 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)
If you have a vegetarian in your household, this slow cooker recipe book can be a wonderful resource. All the recipes I have tested work just as expected. In fact these recipes are great for non-vegetarians too as they are delicious. Great to be able to prepare dinner the night before, plug in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to an all ready dinner.

125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson (Paperback - Sept. 4 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01