4.0 out of 5 stars Not really complete, but a good place to start for beginners
When I wanted to get a book on canning, I decided to get the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Published on March 31 2012 by CanadianMother

3.0 out of 5 stars review on book
The book isn't quite what I was expecting. It contains mostly recipes about normal hot water canning. I was looking for pressure canning recipes. It has some. The order came quickly.
Published on Sept. 10 2012 by bowstrokes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really complete, but a good place to start for beginners, March 31 2012
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today (Paperback)

This book is a good one for beginners, because it has a fairly large section at the back called "The Art and Science of Food Preservation," which explains everything a person would need to know about home canning. For those who want to jump right into canning without reading too much, the first section of the book has recipes for five popular foods (Strawberry Jam, Mint Jelly, House Salsa, Traditional Corn Relish, and Dill Pickles) that are heavy on the detail. I found this strawberry jam recipe to be helpful the first time I made jam, because I was a bit nervous and the recipe gave easier and more detailed instructions than most recipes do.

Also within this cookbook are a troubleshooting section and an extensive glossary, that are helpful to a novice canner such as myself.

Another nice feature of this book is the sheer variety of recipes. Flipping through the pages, I see so many interesting recipes that I'd like to try some time in the future, and lots of recipes that would be excellent for gift giving. The book includes sections on jams and jellies, canned fruit, salsa, relish and chutney, condiments, pickles, and tomatoes. After all this is a small section on pressure canning with a handful of recipes.

Overall, I like this book and I can definitely see myself using some of the more creative recipes in the future for holiday gift-giving. However, my one complaint is that the variety of unique recipes means that some basic recipes have been left out. For example, when I wanted to make raspberry jam a few days ago, I was surprised to find no recipe for plain raspberry jam in this book. There was a natural jam recipe using tart apples instead of pectin that requires a long boiling time, but not a regular jam recipe. This wasn't a tragedy, since the sheet that comes inside the box of pectin has recipes for all the basic jams and jellies, but I did think it was strange that a book with the word "complete" in the title didn't have a recipe for raspberry jam!

I would recommend this book to novice and experienced canners alike for the easy instructions, and for the large number of interesting recipes--but I don't think it's really a complete resource for canning. In the future, I'd like to get a few more canning books to ensure I have easy access to all the basic and traditional recipes I would like. Although perhaps I'm just making up an excuse to buy more books...something which I'm good at. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and all!, Nov. 29 2010
When I saw this book on a store shelf, I just looked for a few specific recipes. Since the book seemed to have what I wanted, I went ahead and ordered it. I already owned several canning books that were all lacking here and there - that's why I had several!
When this book arrived, I started going through it page by page. WoW~ I haven't touched the other books since.
The only flaw I found is that some recipes will make far more than indicated, but that seems to happen with all books.
Also worth mentioning is that there is a helpline for Bernardin, so if you have any questions, they'll provide an answer. I phoned in about a recipe, and customer service went through some searches to provide me with the answer.
So, I don't hesitate to give a full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because you Can!, Aug. 20 2010
Remember when you were a young girl, and your mom started you off with her Five Roses Cooking book? Well, this Bernardin book on Home Preserving is just that. It is the book that you will refer to everytime you put away your garden tomatoes, or when you make jams, jellies and pickles. The recipes are all there. Their hints and suggestions make it easy for a beginner and expert, to put away their garden produce safely. This is the book that needs to be bought first. I wouldn`t recommend any other.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, Aug. 17 2013
This book covers everything you need for canning, how to do it and super recipes that I have already tried and enjoyed. If you're a newbie to canning, this is the book for you. If you're already experienced in canning, you'll love the recipe ideas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, July 1 2006
Shelley Koski (Golden, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
The New Preserving Book is filled with great recipes,tips and ideas for home canning. I am very happy with it, I would recommend this book for anyone that enjoys home canning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginner!, Nov. 16 2014
I was new to gardening/canning. My grandma helped me out a bit with her knowledge but this was a great book that explains everything, all equipment needed, how to prep, and has tons of recipes. The ones we have tried so far are good. Would recommend to any beginner for sure but there are tons of recipes so I think would be a great addition to any canner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!!, Dec 2 2008
Bill W. Lake "FoodZen" (Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you are all interested in canning, you MUST have this book. It has been my bible. All recipes are safe to can with no worry. Be careful of recipes you find on the net. Botulism is not a nice thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, March 6 2014
perfect book even for beginners, everything is describe step by step. simple and easy with all the traditional recipes, exactly want i wanted !

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserving, Oct. 22 2013
Leslie Best - See all my reviews
Love any kind of cookbook but this reminds me of the preserving my mom used to do and I am trying to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift for my bf, Oct. 16 2013
bought it for my boyfriend as he expressed an interest in canning and doing pickles and jams. he loves it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›