4.0 out of 5 stars Not really complete, but a good place to start for beginners
When I wanted to get a book on canning, I decided to get the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Published on March 31 2012 by CanadianMother

3.0 out of 5 stars review on book
The book isn't quite what I was expecting. It contains mostly recipes about normal hot water canning. I was looking for pressure canning recipes. It has some. The order came quickly.
Published 19 months ago by bowstrokes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really complete, but a good place to start for beginners, March 31 2012
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today (Paperback)

This book is a good one for beginners, because it has a fairly large section at the back called "The Art and Science of Food Preservation," which explains everything a person would need to know about home canning. For those who want to jump right into canning without reading too much, the first section of the book has recipes for five popular foods (Strawberry Jam, Mint Jelly, House Salsa, Traditional Corn Relish, and Dill Pickles) that are heavy on the detail. I found this strawberry jam recipe to be helpful the first time I made jam, because I was a bit nervous and the recipe gave easier and more detailed instructions than most recipes do.

Also within this cookbook are a troubleshooting section and an extensive glossary, that are helpful to a novice canner such as myself.

Another nice feature of this book is the sheer variety of recipes. Flipping through the pages, I see so many interesting recipes that I'd like to try some time in the future, and lots of recipes that would be excellent for gift giving. The book includes sections on jams and jellies, canned fruit, salsa, relish and chutney, condiments, pickles, and tomatoes. After all this is a small section on pressure canning with a handful of recipes.

Overall, I like this book and I can definitely see myself using some of the more creative recipes in the future for holiday gift-giving. However, my one complaint is that the variety of unique recipes means that some basic recipes have been left out. For example, when I wanted to make raspberry jam a few days ago, I was surprised to find no recipe for plain raspberry jam in this book. There was a natural jam recipe using tart apples instead of pectin that requires a long boiling time, but not a regular jam recipe. This wasn't a tragedy, since the sheet that comes inside the box of pectin has recipes for all the basic jams and jellies, but I did think it was strange that a book with the word "complete" in the title didn't have a recipe for raspberry jam!

I would recommend this book to novice and experienced canners alike for the easy instructions, and for the large number of interesting recipes--but I don't think it's really a complete resource for canning. In the future, I'd like to get a few more canning books to ensure I have easy access to all the basic and traditional recipes I would like. Although perhaps I'm just making up an excuse to buy more books...something which I'm good at. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, July 1 2006
Shelley Koski (Golden, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
The New Preserving Book is filled with great recipes,tips and ideas for home canning. I am very happy with it, I would recommend this book for anyone that enjoys home canning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!!, Dec 2 2008
Bill W. Lake "FoodZen" (Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you are all interested in canning, you MUST have this book. It has been my bible. All recipes are safe to can with no worry. Be careful of recipes you find on the net. Botulism is not a nice thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, March 6 2014
perfect book even for beginners, everything is describe step by step. simple and easy with all the traditional recipes, exactly want i wanted !

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserving, Oct. 22 2013
Leslie Best - See all my reviews
Love any kind of cookbook but this reminds me of the preserving my mom used to do and I am trying to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift for my bf, Oct. 16 2013
bought it for my boyfriend as he expressed an interest in canning and doing pickles and jams. he loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete canning resource., Sept. 3 2013
This book offers so many wonderful recipes for home canning. It would be great for an old pro but equally informative for someone just starting out in the wonderful world of home preserving. I have a couple of Bernardin books that are considerably smaller. Great books! I highly recommend them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, Aug. 17 2013
This book covers everything you need for canning, how to do it and super recipes that I have already tried and enjoyed. If you're a newbie to canning, this is the book for you. If you're already experienced in canning, you'll love the recipe ideas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Aug. 11 2013
I really enjoyed this book very good explanations! There are all sorts of different recipes and they aren't very difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Great recipes, Great value, Aug. 5 2013
The recipes are easy to follow, the book is well organized, and the recipes are fun and obviously well researched and tested. I have now made ~10 recipes from the book and they have all gone smoothly. I recommend you read each recipe thoroughly before you delve into a recipe. And if you follow the recipe as it is written, you can't fail and waste money and time. Also, there are many great basics, and more exciting recipes.

Happy canning!