march boutiques-francophones SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVD|Change

on March 30, 2001
I would be the last to criticize an actor who has done so much fine work as Olivier if I didn't feel it was absolutely necessary. His direction of the cast (he left the cinematographic direction to another) is sensitive and perfectly realizes his rearranged text. However, his own performance varies between subtle, intelligent, gripping readings of the lines and the same wildly over-the-top arms-windmilling scenery-chewing that Hamlet warns the Players against presenting! Still, judged as a film, this is a masterpiece. I only wish Olivier had been as good at directing himself as he was at directing the rest of the cast. His Hamlet is, in its way, a masterpiece, but a slightly flawed one.
on September 19, 2001
Laurence Olivier has to be said to have been and still is the person whom has best depicted the haunted prince of Denmark otherwise known as Hamlet. He richly deserved the academy award for his performance in this movie, i.e., Hamlet VHS ~ Laurence Olivier and in a way set a benchmark for other actors to meet in order to fully be accepted as interpretors and actors of Shakespearean plays.Simply put it, his performance is Awesome. Highly Recommended.
on January 5, 2002
In comparing this version to the one with Mel Gibson, I can only say that Olivier's version has a classicism that Gibson lacks. I also definitely prefer that more Elizabethan style of dress used by Olivier to the Medieval and Scandinavian costumes of Gibson. This film is a class of it's own, which I think is only accentuated by the "black-and-white-ness."
on September 9, 2000
This is, no doubt, the greatest adaptation of Hamlet! Olivier was a master in bringing Shakespeare's works to the screen and his acting is unsurpassed! Watch Henry V and Richard III to see what a genius Olivier was when it came to Shakespeare!
on November 3, 2014
I appreciated very much the Criterion version of this masterpiece as well as the subtitles to help us understand the language of Shakespeare.
on August 14, 2014
Lawrence Olivier's rendition of the imfamous Dane is quite good, I enjoyed the movie very much!
on February 16, 2011
Unfortunately, I can't view this DVD: it's in the wrong format, even though I am almost sure I checked this before I bought it. I would suggest that every effort possible be made to signal when a DVD is viewable in North America, or elsewhere.