march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 19, 2013
This review is both positive toward the book, and a reaction to the review by Chris. I want to say that, of course this book is affirming for Christians.

Considering this book is a response to a book which denies hell, this book is specifically written to defend the doctrine, and by nature will be affirming. Christians looking for an answer to Rob Bell are looking for a book which will weigh the biblical evidence, which this book does, and it does so in a way that is not "pressing" the evidence into a pre-made mould, but which assumes the doctrine (orthodoxy), and attempts to find compelling reasons to continue to assume its existence. And hopefully, if it's authors have done their jobs (which I truly believe they have) then the book will correctly affirm the doctrine of hell. There is nothing wrong with Christians looking for affirmation of a belief which is orthodox, as long as we weigh the arguments and focus on not being dogmatic when the evidence is not favourable.

As well, though I immediately recognize I have not read Brayshaw's 4 volume work, if the free articles on his website are any indicator of the kind of argumentation one can expect in his books, then they are not worth spending the time or the money on. The fallacious logic and minimal evidence in his article "If Satan is Real Then There are Two Gods" spends most of its time using anecdote, and the remainder drawing wrong conclusions. He attempts to show that because Satan is able to do some of the things God can do, therefore he is God. But humans must all be God's too according to this logic, seeing as we can speak and God can speak, we can think and God can think, we can move and God can move. But these things are not what makes God unique. What makes him unique are what the bible affirms makes him unique such as his sovereignty, his creation out of nothing etc. The point being this, Brayshaw's work does not appear to be spectacular.

Overall this book is well written, and balanced for its length, and yes, I was affirmed in my belief of the reality of hell. And that was the authors intent.
on July 18, 2011
In this incredibly easy read, Chan & Sprinkle approach Hell from a Biblical and Pastoral view. They deal with the reality of Hell put forward in Scripture and aren't afraid to say I don't know when they come across an area of ambiguity. This is a great read that is for everyone, and they speak to how this reality should effect believers view of others and their view of God.
on January 20, 2016
I read this book in response to my reading of Love Wins by Rob Bell, which I also did not like. Bell was far more intellectually honest and handled scripture better. In the years since I have come to stop believing in Eternal Conscious Torment. This is due, in large part, to the sloppy thought behind this book. If this is the best defense of ECT they can offer then the doctrine must be on pretty shaky ground.
on October 17, 2012
This is a great book for anyone who has omitted to share the truth about hell with others when sharing the Gospel. My faith and my commitment to be true what Jesus has said was renewed. Its a must for any Christian in this age when we are "afraid to put people off".
on December 20, 2012
If you want to be affirmed in the Christian belief in Hell this is the perfect book for you. That's literally all it does. It starts with the Christian belief of Hell, even though it says it doesn't, and then force fits everything else from the New Testament into that belief.

After reading James R Brayshaw's extensive 4 volume series on the topic of Satan/Hell, which takes the context of Hebrew culture and linguistics seriously, this book (Erasing Hell) feels like a feel-good for people that feel bad about the Christian belief. The belief that real people will spend eternity burning but not completely dying.

The book, just like the religion, requires us to assume many things in order to play along. Like when the writers ask us to 'remember that the Devil is a being created by God'…without pointing us in the right direction in our Bibles to find that particular creation story. I do remember being taught that but I still haven't found it anywhere in my Bible.

If James R Brayshaw's books are a PhD equivalent on this subject, then Erasing Hell is like Kindergarden with a substitute teacher.
on November 2, 2014
One of the best books I have read. Encouraged to keep as a reference why we are here and what role we have to play in the salvation story. Cannot read without being moved for the lost.
on June 14, 2014
It was a good balance of faithfully presenting the truth if God's word and yet not losing sight of this difficult doctrine being about real people in light a holy God.
on December 31, 2013
Nice ans sweed clear the best every body knows, very instructive.
If tou are looking for more about the subject there is your book.
Jaime
on November 17, 2013
An excellent challenge to Rob Bell. I appreciated the in-depth research and the dependance on an accurate interpretation of scripture.
on July 9, 2014
Francis Chan is an excellent author. I learned a lot from this book and will pick it up again for another read. Makes you think.