summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools

on May 27, 2016
biggest waste of money.
on March 19, 2016
Great product for the boards
on June 7, 2015
good
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 16, 2014
Decent prep book for the LMCC1. Not too overwhelming but just enough detail to get the job done.
on November 28, 2012
Very confusing explanation . I wish I can send it back., I don't know if I can, because I don't read it at all. That was the worst medical book.
on March 24, 2012
This book may work as a guideline for topics that you need to study but it should not be your main/only resource. There are mistakes printed in the book, and large gaps in information. Use with caution.
on January 28, 2012
Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam: Review and Prep for MCCQE Part I , i bought this book but defiantly it is waste of money. very useless book.
My advice it is total waste.
Thanks
on December 29, 2011
The first thing I noticed about this book is that there are a lot of acronyms -- and it is too time consuming to look up their meanings (at the back of book). I am speaking as an IMG, who is unfamiliar with the acronyms, so I find them a bit confusing and stressful (maybe the CMG's out there would be more familiar with the acronyms in the book). I stopped reading the book after chapter 3 and opted to review Toronto Notes for MCCQE1. There are a lot of typo errors, too.
on April 6, 2011
is this book worth the money? hmmmm...... considering the fact that there are very few review texts for this exam... maybe.

I read toronto notes. I read this. The only advantage to this book is that it summarizes some differentials in some novel flowcharts. Some of these flowcharts need to be edited as they seem to be needlessly complicated.

Oh yeah - some parts of this book are so similar to toronto notes that it is very suspicious.

This book is by no means 'essential'. It is nice that they include an online copy and online questions (I added a star for this point alone).

This book completely ignores the fact that there is a CDM section on the exam. Deducted a star for this. This would be SUCH an easy thing to write a section on. CDM questions are very daunting when you think about them - but they're REALLY not that hard compared to MCQs - they really just require memorizing lists. Lists that could be arranged and sorted for us in this book!!

If a second edition addressed most of these concerns (as well as spelling errors - yikes!!) then this book would be more 'essential'
on April 20, 2010
It's great to finally have a review book that is geared to Canadians and certainly this was a huge undertaking. However, I must say I was quite disappointed with this book.
The layout is not always organized (e.g. text bullets and then 2 pages of huge tables and then the text continues, which makes things very disjointed for the reader) and the flow charts are not as intuitive/logical as the ones in Toronto Notes or the USMLE First Aid books. There are tables for virtually every presenting complaint, and I usually like tables, but these ones are sometimes too cluttered.
As others have also mentioned, there are typos. I knew to expect a few, but there are a LOT! Not just formatting/punctuation/spelling, but some actually errors (e.g. it says IUD's are not a risk factor for ectopic pregnancy, then a few pages later says that they are). But hands down the worst typo I came across was in the flow chart for spousal abuse - the branches were "willing to leave" or "unwilling to leave" but instead they wrote "unwilling to LEARN"! :S
It is more manageable because it is more concise than the Toronto Notes. However, one annoying thing is that they use a zillion acronyms (not just the regular ones we come across in other medical books) and the first time an acronym is used, they don't write the phrase/disorder out in full. So I found myself constantly flipping to the guide at the back to find out what they all stand for.
That said, I do like how it is tailored to the LMCC and seems to cover most of the objectives. Some of the "key point" boxes are helpful too (however, the CLEO boxes seem a bit random -- basically a bunch of boxes that say "don't miss this, they will sue you... don't forget this, they will also sue you").
I think this book will be a great resource after some heavy editing! It's a brand new book and certainly will improve with future editions.