5.0 out of 5 stars Text and sim all in 1 place - nice job!
Take a well known author for A+ and Net+. Add in a highly respected CCNA Author. Add to that a highly successful book for Network+ certification. Finally throw in a lab simulator and package it under through a publisher well known for producing high quality technical reference manuals.

Now you have the perfect study tool for the Net+ Certification. David Groth...
Published on July 13 2003 by Michael J Woznicki

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but confusing
Published on Sept. 5 2003 by K. Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Try Another Book, Oct. 25 2003
Dale Jennings (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I can only give this book a lukewarm recommendation since it appears to be very outdated even through it was recently published. Most examples and discussion were on Windows 95/98 and NT 4.0. Hardly any mention of Windows 2000 and almost none for Windows XP except the in the lab. Also almost no coverage of Linux/Unix. Finally, the book is not very well organized and covers the same material in multiple chapters.
The virtual lab supplied with the CD in the book is probably the best part and provides some value for beginners but is too simple for most students taking Network+.

2.0 out of 5 stars He's not Todd Lammle, Oct. 22 2003
Frank Moley (Olathe, KS USA) - See all my reviews
I was previously CCNA certified when I took this test, thank goodness. I was hooked on the Sybex series because of Todd Lammle, what a great author he is. This book was not clear, even inacurate. Level two datagrams are called frames, not packets. Packets exist at layer 3 of the OSI model. This error kept popping up, if I didn't know the real answer I would have missed the question on the test that related to this. The book did not discuss token ring well enough for me, as I have never used it. I would suggest finding another book or going through a Cisco Networking Acadamy, you can get both your CCNA and your Network + certification that way. I felt like I wasted money on this book even though I passed the test the first time. Look elsewere
And remember that layer 3 datagrams are called packets, layer 2 datagrams are frames...hence frame relay which is a layer 2 technology and packet filtering capabilities of routers which operate at layer 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but confusing, Sept. 5 2003
K. Thomas (Fairview Heights, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This book wasn't bad, but I didn't feel it was well written. The author gives you the bare minimum of what you need to know with little to no explanation. Unless you're A+ certified, you may be lost, as the author uses very technical terms and doesn't "dumb it down" for newbies. I'm not saying the book isn't complete or doesn't cover the exam objectives; it covers everything you need to know. I just felt the author's writing style was hard to follow. I bought the All-in-One Certification guide (Michael Meyers) and I feel it is much more well written and easier to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Text and sim all in 1 place - nice job!, July 13 2003
Michael J Woznicki "Michael J Woznicki" (Holland, MA USA) - See all my reviews

Now you have the perfect study tool for the Net+ Certification. David Groth and Sybex have teamed up to give you an updated text for Network+ and thrown in a lab simulator to make the chance of passing the exam first time better than ever before.

I found that the OSI breakdown is not only perfect for Network+, but also the A+ class I am teaching benefits from it as well. Groth also has a great 200 pages for TCP/IP, again the explanation is written for all levels making a perfect learning and teaching tool.

Once again the text is technically up to date and accurate. The team has certainly done everything here including hands-on labs, practice questions, tips and tricks.

There are 2 cd included, one with practice exams and the other with the simulator. What should be included in either a separate lab manual to use with the simulator or the lab manual as part of the book.

Overall you have both a first rate book and simulator. If you are looking for a good set of tools for the networking, then you may just want to start here

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Jan. 16 2002
Adam "dtflagg" (Rolling Meadows, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
This book is easy to understand and follow. It's very in-depth in most areas. The one area I would have liked to see more work on was Netbeui, as I never felt it explained it well. Besides that, the book is excellent.
The practice exams are hard, but will help you to figure out what you need to go over more. I didn't find many errors, and none that would have really messed me up. Great book, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I have been looking for..., Dec 6 2001
Hakan Dilsiz (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I don't have a strong networking experience. After I read the reviews at Amazon.com I thought this was the right book for me. It explains everything clearly. Very easy to read. Even the most technological terms are explained clear enough for beginners. I took my certification exam after reading this book twice and I passed. However, you should not rely on the practice questions that come with the book. Try to learn as you read.
Thank you Mr. Groth. Irecommend this book everybody who is planning to take the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great!, Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
If you absolutely must pass the Network+ exam, then this is the book for you. This book teaches to the test. the included cd has the entire text to do searches and hundreds of practice questions in test formats that appear similar to the real exam.
also many practice questions are nearly identical to the actual exam. I read through the book the spent over 50 hours on the pactice tests. i scored 826/900 on the actual exam. that correspnts to roughly 91%. the bad news is that i will need a better book to keep in my office as a reference. if its not on the test, its not in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Network+ Review, Nov. 13 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
Just passed the Network+ exam with 863. I read this book cover to cover and did all questions on the CD. The TCP/IP Utilities chapter is very good and you will see that on the exam.
Suggest reading this book and have lots of practical hands-on experience before attempting the exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but ...., Nov. 2 2001
"hpqualifier" (Amsterdam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I've seen so many people who are very happy with this book. I was NOT so enthused. I passed, like everybody else, but the book does NOT cover everything on the exam. I like the COMPTIA exams having done Server+ and Network+ now. I like the fact that they are BROAD, and try to ask questions from real life. Most books, including this one, are not broad enough to be able to handle this. It is pretty hard to try to cover Unix, Netware as well as all the rest of the networking stuff. Maybe because of the new test version I ran into this more than some of the first reviewers.
The book is well written, clear, etc, but I get the feeling it is only written to help you pass the test and lacks any passion to go further or give background. I'd rather they went a bit deeper here and there, explaining more background. I'd love to see more passion. However, if all you care about is passing the exam, this book is probably one of the top three out there.
There is also an error in the section on back ups. The DAT Aautoloader 24x6 is not meant to be used to exceed the max capacity of one tape per back up, it is only meant to make life easier in not having to remove the tape each morning. Think of the weekend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Many Practice Questions, MORE Than Enough!, Sept. 19 2001
Kiran Kumar (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I just passed my Network+ exam today and I owe it all to David Groth for writting such an excellent book! I passed with a sccore of 801 out of 900 (89%) and I am only 15 YEARS OLD! I used this book plus Sybex Network+ Test Center, but I owe passing all to this one book. It is written very well, and makes everything easy to understand. All you need is this one book to pass the Network+ easily.
I read this book through about 3 times, first just cover to cover, second cover to cover highlighting important concepts, and the third time just read my highlights. After reading it about three times, I scored a 85% and 89% on the two included practice tests and felt like I was ready to go (most recommend getting at least 90% before trying though). I used two tests from the Virtual Test Center, but those questions were MUCH HARDER than the ones on the real test and didn't help much for the actual test.
This book is split into 10 detailed chapters, about everything you need to know to get started in a Networking carrer. I just complete my A+ Certification two months ago, and if it weren't for school I could have got my Network+ in less than a month. This book covers everything and more that you will see on the test (well, maybe except for 2 or 3 questions, but that's out of 65). The questions are all farily simple, but the hard part is that you need a 752 out of 900 (around 83%) to pass, which is much higher than other IT Certifications. But with this book, you will REALLY understand all the different things and as long as you memorize a few of the essentials (IEE groups, TCP/IP Addresses, TCP/IP Switches, etc.) you will easily pass. Just make sure to read the book a few times, because to get that 752 you NEED to know nearly all of the book.
In addition to the book being awesome, the 20 practice questions at the end of each chapter and the two COMPLETE practice tests on CD (one of them is also in the book) are really what prepare you. More than 3/4 of my test were questions that I had seen before from those practice questions. All the practice questions and detailed answers and really help you grasp the concepts and prepare for the test. There are over 500 questions included with the book, so it's all you need to pass (don't make the mistake I did and waste money on the Virtual Test Center). In addition, to get you started there is an Assesment Test, which really helps you see how much you have to study and in which areas.
Overall, the combination of an excellent book with over 500 practice questions that are nearly identical to the questions from the real thing, this makes for GREAT VALUE and necessary tool to pass the Network+ test. You can spend less than 40 bucks on this book with the practice questions and easily pass if you put your mind to it. Forget wasting $1000's of dollars on classes, this is all you need to succeed!

Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003
Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 by William Tedder (Hardcover - May 2 2005)
CDN$ 98.99 CDN$ 62.36