Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kindle Kitchen Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on July 13, 2003
Take a well known author for A+ and Net+. Add in a highly respected CCNA Author. Add to that a highly successful book for Network+ certification. Finally throw in a lab simulator and package it under through a publisher well known for producing high quality technical reference manuals.

Now you have the perfect study tool for the Net+ Certification. David Groth and Sybex have teamed up to give you an updated text for Network+ and thrown in a lab simulator to make the chance of passing the exam first time better than ever before.

I found that the OSI breakdown is not only perfect for Network+, but also the A+ class I am teaching benefits from it as well. Groth also has a great 200 pages for TCP/IP, again the explanation is written for all levels making a perfect learning and teaching tool.

Once again the text is technically up to date and accurate. The team has certainly done everything here including hands-on labs, practice questions, tips and tricks.

There are 2 cd included, one with practice exams and the other with the simulator. What should be included in either a separate lab manual to use with the simulator or the lab manual as part of the book.

Overall you have both a first rate book and simulator. If you are looking for a good set of tools for the networking, then you may just want to start here
on September 19, 2001
I just passed my Network+ exam today and I owe it all to David Groth for writting such an excellent book! I passed with a sccore of 801 out of 900 (89%) and I am only 15 YEARS OLD! I used this book plus Sybex Network+ Test Center, but I owe passing all to this one book. It is written very well, and makes everything easy to understand. All you need is this one book to pass the Network+ easily.
I read this book through about 3 times, first just cover to cover, second cover to cover highlighting important concepts, and the third time just read my highlights. After reading it about three times, I scored a 85% and 89% on the two included practice tests and felt like I was ready to go (most recommend getting at least 90% before trying though). I used two tests from the Virtual Test Center, but those questions were MUCH HARDER than the ones on the real test and didn't help much for the actual test.
This book is split into 10 detailed chapters, about everything you need to know to get started in a Networking carrer. I just complete my A+ Certification two months ago, and if it weren't for school I could have got my Network+ in less than a month. This book covers everything and more that you will see on the test (well, maybe except for 2 or 3 questions, but that's out of 65). The questions are all farily simple, but the hard part is that you need a 752 out of 900 (around 83%) to pass, which is much higher than other IT Certifications. But with this book, you will REALLY understand all the different things and as long as you memorize a few of the essentials (IEE groups, TCP/IP Addresses, TCP/IP Switches, etc.) you will easily pass. Just make sure to read the book a few times, because to get that 752 you NEED to know nearly all of the book.
In addition to the book being awesome, the 20 practice questions at the end of each chapter and the two COMPLETE practice tests on CD (one of them is also in the book) are really what prepare you. More than 3/4 of my test were questions that I had seen before from those practice questions. All the practice questions and detailed answers and really help you grasp the concepts and prepare for the test. There are over 500 questions included with the book, so it's all you need to pass (don't make the mistake I did and waste money on the Virtual Test Center). In addition, to get you started there is an Assesment Test, which really helps you see how much you have to study and in which areas.
Overall, the combination of an excellent book with over 500 practice questions that are nearly identical to the questions from the real thing, this makes for GREAT VALUE and necessary tool to pass the Network+ test. You can spend less than 40 bucks on this book with the practice questions and easily pass if you put your mind to it. Forget wasting $1000's of dollars on classes, this is all you need to succeed!
on July 16, 2001
I can't even begin to start on how much this book helped me for the Network+ exam. This book has great detail and explanations regarding networking and I would recommend this book 100% along with the Network+ Exam Cram book by Coriolis and the Network+ Practice Exams by Syngress/Osborne. These 3 books should guarantee you a passing score on the exam othewise hit the bookstore and start out with the A+ exam first. This book should be read from start to finish while going through all practice exams at the end of each chapter. Then hit the CD and practice all the questions on there while using the book as a reference until you get a clear understanding of the question. Finally after going thru the Book and the CD move onto the Syngress/Osborne book for the additional questions to give you a feel of how the questions will appear on the actual test. Last but not least read or skim through the exam cram book for last minute preparation and you should ace the test with no problems. Follow this way of studying and you will pass guaranteed. The best thing about the CD is the fact that it comes with an ebook which you can easily use on your work computer or a laptop. This is the best study guide for the Network+ exam.
on January 14, 2001
In the world of Network+ there are certain names that comes to the top of the list when deciding what material is best. David Groth is one of the most respected names in the industry and his second edition of Network+ is another example of why.
Groth improves on his previous edition right from the very beginning with a handy tear out network+ study card. Also to make sure that you are ready there is exam objective and an assessment test in the front of the book.
Once that is completed the book then goes on to covers topics like the OSI model, Fundamentals of LANS, WANS, topology, cables, network hardware, and NOSs like Netware, Unix, NT and OS/2. All this is covered up to chapter 5.
Chapter 6 through 10 takes on the areas of Network installations, upgrades, remote access, security, disaster recovery and troubleshooting. Groth covers the objective in a logical easy to follow order and give you more information than the exam calls for.

Typical to most books Groth writes, there are review questions, figures, diagrams, tables and a practice exam. Included in the book is a cd with hundreds of questions. Also are electronic flash cards, a self-assessment test and an e-book for both the pc and palm tops. No there are no more excuses - excellent job!
on August 31, 2001
I just finished my Network+ exam this morning. I passed with a 87% and I am satified with that. This was my first certification exam as I got out from the CS dept a month ago. Actually, I do not have a lot of hands-on networking experience, other than the three-month internship with a touch on a small network. Most of the questions I had on the exam could be found on the tests in the book and the exam cram practice tests. (similarity~ 95%, some of them are the same). I also used Network+ exam cram for review. Many questions on TCP/IP utilities, not too many scenario cases. One more thing, be sure that you see the "real networking devices" not picutres or graphics from any books. There are a couple of questions asked you to identify the port and indicators on the exam.
This book AND exam cram practice tests are enough for you to pass the test with some hands-on experience. Good Luck!
on July 7, 2001
I used this book, in conjunction with Network + for Dummies. I did very well on the exam. I think this book alone would have been enough. Hard to say for sure. If you're serious, and can afford it, you should always have another book to compliment your studies. The CD contained a great engine for targeting questions by topic. Besides having the typical practice test, it also had every chapter quiz question (from the book) on it. The entire book is also contained on the cd. VERY nice features. The CD did have a few minor glitches though. Drag and drop questions that scored wrong when they were correct, and not being able to use the "previous" feature in a practice test. It's sad to say, but after buying lots of study materials for A+ and Net+ I haven't found any that didn't have these kind of glitches.
on August 1, 2001
I decided to write because other people's review helped me a lot, hence "my turn now". I just passed the Netwok+ exam an hour ago with a score of 789 (minimum passing score 752). It's far from a record, but Hey! this is my first certification exam and i only past 10 hours at max on this book (not even a week-end!), so i'm satisfied.I really recomend that you go through it in depth though, and don't you worry you'll do just fine. Everything on the test was on the book, but you need understanding rather than memorisation to answer some of the scenarios on the test. In conclusion 5 very well deserved stars for Mr Groth... and anybody who's interested in taking network+, i advise you hurry before the new exam comes in, i read it's 147 questions instead of 65 (that's gotta be a pain) Good Luck eveybody !...
on April 7, 2001
I cannot express how valuable this book is in preparing for the exam. I took the exam yesterday 4/5/2001, and I abused it with an 856/900! There were about 12 questions that were not just similar but exactly the same on the exam. Not only that but the book was more informational than my class book as it went into detail about how each protocol stack functions and at which layers. David Groth uses real world examples not like the "Hello World" examples in programming. I hope he makes books for the MCSD tracks because his books are extremely easy to read and are quite complete. Read the book once, highlight it and read it another 2 times and your ready to go. ..... I found this test easier than the A+ and I didn't think that would be the case.....I guess I just found a great book! Hats off to Groth.
on October 15, 1999
Another masterpiece for Groth! Right after you read his A+ book, start reading this one and get ready to pass you Network+ certification exam. You have everything you need in this book.
Follow along this 800+ page wealth of knowledge, and you'll see why COMPTIA has chose David Groth to write this book. Broken down into the two sections this book covers every topic.
Make no bones about it, Groth has taken the complexity out of the picture. You now have no excuses for not obtaining the certification. About the only thing book doesn't do it take the test for you.
Included in the book is a cd with Net+ question, MCSE Study guide and links to Sybex. Combine this with two other books, Network+ Test Success and Network+ Exam notes, both from Sybex and you are on your way.
on June 15, 2000
the is so much material in this book it can be a bit overwhelming for someone not working in the industry, and just getting started. I found the Questions on the practice test on the CD and after each chapter in the book extremely valuable. I recommend using this book, thoroughly reading the chapters and constantly going over the practice questions before writing the exam. this method should allow you to pass the first time. I passed with 91% on my first try, I did use the exam notes by the same author, and the exam prep by exam cram. In hindsight, I really think this is the only book you need.