5.0 out of 5 stars Text and sim all in 1 place - nice job!
Take a well known author for A+ and Net+. Add in a highly respected CCNA Author. Add to that a highly successful book for Network+ certification. Finally throw in a lab simulator and package it under through a publisher well known for producing high quality technical reference manuals.

Now you have the perfect study tool for the Net+ Certification. David Groth...
Published on July 13 2003 by Michael J Woznicki

2.0 out of 5 stars He's not Todd Lammle
I was previously CCNA certified when I took this test, thank goodness. I was hooked on the Sybex series because of Todd Lammle, what a great author he is. This book was not clear, even inacurate. Level two datagrams are called frames, not packets. Packets exist at layer 3 of the OSI model. This error kept popping up, if I didn't know the real answer I would have...
Published on Oct. 22 2003 by Frank Moley

4.0 out of 5 stars Got to have it for the test., June 28 2000
Shawn Kuse (Vienna, Va.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I can start off and say that I really enjoyed reading this book. I do have experience in the Networking field, so this book is appropriate for the Network+ exam only. This book is not intended for passing the MCSE Networking Essentials exam as the preview states. I did learn from it and passed the test with a 97. David Groth did an excellent job in relaying what is needed for the exam and nothing more. If you want to learn about LMHOSTS files then take the MCSE exams,since that file is a Micrsoft file and not part of the overall view that the author is intending to put across. For those of you who want to learn about the basics of networking then this is a great place to start. Read the book and take the test. The credentials will make you an asset in the computer field. SPKuse, MCSE, MCP, A+, Network+, i-Net+, CNA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good study guide., July 7 2001
sgeise "sgeise" (South West Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I used this book, in conjunction with Network + for Dummies. I did very well on the exam. I think this book alone would have been enough. Hard to say for sure. If you're serious, and can afford it, you should always have another book to compliment your studies. The CD contained a great engine for targeting questions by topic. Besides having the typical practice test, it also had every chapter quiz question (from the book) on it. The entire book is also contained on the cd. VERY nice features. The CD did have a few minor glitches though. Drag and drop questions that scored wrong when they were correct, and not being able to use the "previous" feature in a practice test. It's sad to say, but after buying lots of study materials for A+ and Net+ I haven't found any that didn't have these kind of glitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Exam, Aug. 1 2001
Oumar (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I decided to write because other people's review helped me a lot, hence "my turn now". I just passed the Netwok+ exam an hour ago with a score of 789 (minimum passing score 752). It's far from a record, but Hey! this is my first certification exam and i only past 10 hours at max on this book (not even a week-end!), so i'm satisfied.I really recomend that you go through it in depth though, and don't you worry you'll do just fine. Everything on the test was on the book, but you need understanding rather than memorisation to answer some of the scenarios on the test. In conclusion 5 very well deserved stars for Mr Groth... and anybody who's interested in taking network+, i advise you hurry before the new exam comes in, i read it's 147 questions instead of 65 (that's gotta be a pain) Good Luck eveybody !...

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions for the Exam!!!, April 7 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I cannot express how valuable this book is in preparing for the exam. I took the exam yesterday 4/5/2001, and I abused it with an 856/900! There were about 12 questions that were not just similar but exactly the same on the exam. Not only that but the book was more informational than my class book as it went into detail about how each protocol stack functions and at which layers. David Groth uses real world examples not like the "Hello World" examples in programming. I hope he makes books for the MCSD tracks because his books are extremely easy to read and are quite complete. Read the book once, highlight it and read it another 2 times and your ready to go. ..... I found this test easier than the A+ and I didn't think that would be the case.....I guess I just found a great book! Hats off to Groth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best books for Network+ !!!!!!!!, Oct. 15 1999
Michael J Woznicki "Michael J Woznicki" (Holland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
Another masterpiece for Groth! Right after you read his A+ book, start reading this one and get ready to pass you Network+ certification exam. You have everything you need in this book.
Follow along this 800+ page wealth of knowledge, and you'll see why COMPTIA has chose David Groth to write this book. Broken down into the two sections this book covers every topic.
Make no bones about it, Groth has taken the complexity out of the picture. You now have no excuses for not obtaining the certification. About the only thing book doesn't do it take the test for you.
Included in the book is a cd with Net+ question, MCSE Study guide and links to Sybex. Combine this with two other books, Network+ Test Success and Network+ Exam notes, both from Sybex and you are on your way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get certified!, Nov. 9 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
Network+ by David Groth will prepare you to pass the exam! This book covers exam objectives very well and Groth writing style is easy to follow. It certainly deserves five stars for that alone and if you fail the exam then it's not because of the book but rather the lack of experience. What I don't like in this book is too much detail on some topics (twenty pages to show abend.log is waste of paper) or almost no information at all on another (where is description on LMHOSTS files?). I don't agree with official amazon.com review that this book can also prepare you to pass Networking Essentials - get another book!
Nevertheless I would recommend this book to anyone preparing to take Network+. Good luck!
Ales Kavsek

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, could be improved, July 22 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
Overall, this is a good book. I like the way its layed out, and the information, while a little more in depth than I needed to know for the test, was very good at helping me understand the concepts behind them. This reason I give this book 3 stars is because there were numerous typos and some incorrect information, and with a certification guide, I expect the information presented to be well researched from the source, not from other study guides, and absolutely correct, with no typos. Maybe the second edition will improve on this some.
BTW- with this book and Exam Cram, I passed the test with a 95%, only 68% was required to pass. I missed 3 questions out of 65.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm.. where do i find a better book?, June 1 2000
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I wasn't very happy with this book.. I haven't taken the Network+ exam yet because i'm scared to take it with only the knowledge of this book. There were a few errors in it and at the end of each section it gives your some odd review questions that you can't find ANYWHERE in the book! How am i supposed to answer a question I don't know? I am out to find another Network+ book that is in more detail. I don't even know how to setup a true client/server network! I just know what a server does! That is horrible being that i know a few people that have taken the network+ exam and know these things! Find something better!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Material is here, but know the chapter review questions, June 15 2000
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
the is so much material in this book it can be a bit overwhelming for someone not working in the industry, and just getting started. I found the Questions on the practice test on the CD and after each chapter in the book extremely valuable. I recommend using this book, thoroughly reading the chapters and constantly going over the practice questions before writing the exam. this method should allow you to pass the first time. I passed with 91% on my first try, I did use the exam notes by the same author, and the exam prep by exam cram. In hindsight, I really think this is the only book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Network+ 2nd Edition, Aug. 21 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I found this book to be an excellent resource to prepare for the exam, which I sat and passed in August 2001. The book did not cover some areas CompTIA say may be tested, but only 2 questions in my exam were not covered by the book. The book is out of date in a few instances (such as what level of encryption may be exported, discusses NT3&4 but not 2000) and there are a couple of minor inconsistancies. The test questions on the CD seem largely to be a repetition of the ones in the book. In short, however, if you know and understand the material presented in the book, you will pass the exam.

Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003
Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 by William Tedder (Hardcover - May 2 2005)
CDN$ 98.99 CDN$ 62.36