5.0 out of 5 stars Text and sim all in 1 place - nice job!
Take a well known author for A+ and Net+. Add in a highly respected CCNA Author. Add to that a highly successful book for Network+ certification. Finally throw in a lab simulator and package it under through a publisher well known for producing high quality technical reference manuals.

Now you have the perfect study tool for the Net+ Certification. David Groth...
Published on July 13 2003 by Michael J Woznicki

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but confusing
This book wasn't bad, but I didn't feel it was well written. The author gives you the bare minimum of what you need to know with little to no explanation. Unless you're A+ certified, you may be lost, as the author uses very technical terms and doesn't "dumb it down" for newbies. I'm not saying the book isn't complete or doesn't cover the exam objectives; it...
Published on Sept. 5 2003 by K. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A great study guide for the exam (with other materials), Aug. 31 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I just finished my Network+ exam this morning. I passed with a 87% and I am satified with that. This was my first certification exam as I got out from the CS dept a month ago. Actually, I do not have a lot of hands-on networking experience, other than the three-month internship with a touch on a small network. Most of the questions I had on the exam could be found on the tests in the book and the exam cram practice tests. (similarity~ 95%, some of them are the same). I also used Network+ exam cram for review. Many questions on TCP/IP utilities, not too many scenario cases. One more thing, be sure that you see the "real networking devices" not picutres or graphics from any books. There are a couple of questions asked you to identify the port and indicators on the exam.
This book AND exam cram practice tests are enough for you to pass the test with some hands-on experience. Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Network+ 2nd Edition, Aug. 21 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I found this book to be an excellent resource to prepare for the exam, which I sat and passed in August 2001. The book did not cover some areas CompTIA say may be tested, but only 2 questions in my exam were not covered by the book. The book is out of date in a few instances (such as what level of encryption may be exported, discusses NT3&4 but not 2000) and there are a couple of minor inconsistancies. The test questions on the CD seem largely to be a repetition of the ones in the book. In short, however, if you know and understand the material presented in the book, you will pass the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Exam, Aug. 1 2001
Oumar (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I decided to write because other people's review helped me a lot, hence "my turn now". I just passed the Netwok+ exam an hour ago with a score of 789 (minimum passing score 752). It's far from a record, but Hey! this is my first certification exam and i only past 10 hours at max on this book (not even a week-end!), so i'm satisfied.I really recomend that you go through it in depth though, and don't you worry you'll do just fine. Everything on the test was on the book, but you need understanding rather than memorisation to answer some of the scenarios on the test. In conclusion 5 very well deserved stars for Mr Groth... and anybody who's interested in taking network+, i advise you hurry before the new exam comes in, i read it's 147 questions instead of 65 (that's gotta be a pain) Good Luck eveybody !...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only study guide to use for the Network+ exam, July 16 2001
Albert Diaz (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I can't even begin to start on how much this book helped me for the Network+ exam. This book has great detail and explanations regarding networking and I would recommend this book 100% along with the Network+ Exam Cram book by Coriolis and the Network+ Practice Exams by Syngress/Osborne. These 3 books should guarantee you a passing score on the exam othewise hit the bookstore and start out with the A+ exam first. This book should be read from start to finish while going through all practice exams at the end of each chapter. Then hit the CD and practice all the questions on there while using the book as a reference until you get a clear understanding of the question. Finally after going thru the Book and the CD move onto the Syngress/Osborne book for the additional questions to give you a feel of how the questions will appear on the actual test. Last but not least read or skim through the exam cram book for last minute preparation and you should ace the test with no problems. Follow this way of studying and you will pass guaranteed. The best thing about the CD is the fact that it comes with an ebook which you can easily use on your work computer or a laptop. This is the best study guide for the Network+ exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good study guide., July 7 2001
sgeise "sgeise" (South West Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I used this book, in conjunction with Network + for Dummies. I did very well on the exam. I think this book alone would have been enough. Hard to say for sure. If you're serious, and can afford it, you should always have another book to compliment your studies. The CD contained a great engine for targeting questions by topic. Besides having the typical practice test, it also had every chapter quiz question (from the book) on it. The entire book is also contained on the cd. VERY nice features. The CD did have a few minor glitches though. Drag and drop questions that scored wrong when they were correct, and not being able to use the "previous" feature in a practice test. It's sad to say, but after buying lots of study materials for A+ and Net+ I haven't found any that didn't have these kind of glitches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, well organized...but shouldn't use alone, July 5 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I just took the Network+ exam and passed with a 92%. Mr Groth's Study Guide was a big reason I did so well. I have been working in the IT industry for 2 years, and have my A+ certification as well. The only other reference material I used was Exam Cram's Practice Tests. I thought the study guide was VERY well organized. As I read through it, I took detailed notes which seemed to re-enforce the information. I used the CD-ROM as well, but, as with many, it has some bugs. A couple of the drag-and-drop questions score your answer as wrong, when in fact you're correct. (Annoying!) It also wouldn't let me go back to review my answers after I had answered all of them, the "previous" button froze my machine a couple times. All in all, this was a great tool, and I highly recommend it, besides the CD problems; which can be dealt with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not complete, June 18 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
Although the book was pretty exam-centric, it lacked a lot of explanation and hands on learning. Having worked on NT networks I felt a little unsure when I finished so I followed up with the Network + Exam Prep by Coriolis. That book provided a lot more detailed information and explanations and complemented this one very well. They were both well written and I passed the exam without a problem but I will keep the Exam Prep close by my desk for on the job problem solving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference Material, June 1 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I just passed the Network+ test and this book was an outstanding good source of information. It is getting a little dated though and CompTIA is changing the test format in the latter part of 2001, so I don't know how much longer it will be totally useful. I also used "Upgrading and Repairing Networks" by QUE (2nd Edition) but it wasn't really needed. With the Study Guide, the sample tests on the Internet (and on the CD that comes with the book), and some experience you too can pass the Network+ test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions for the Exam!!!, April 7 2001
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
I cannot express how valuable this book is in preparing for the exam. I took the exam yesterday 4/5/2001, and I abused it with an 856/900! There were about 12 questions that were not just similar but exactly the same on the exam. Not only that but the book was more informational than my class book as it went into detail about how each protocol stack functions and at which layers. David Groth uses real world examples not like the "Hello World" examples in programming. I hope he makes books for the MCSD tracks because his books are extremely easy to read and are quite complete. Read the book once, highlight it and read it another 2 times and your ready to go. ..... I found this test easier than the A+ and I didn't think that would be the case.....I guess I just found a great book! Hats off to Groth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorth is better than before - no suprise here!, Jan. 14 2001
Michael J Woznicki "Michael J Woznicki" (Holland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Network+ Study Guide (Hardcover)
In the world of Network+ there are certain names that comes to the top of the list when deciding what material is best. David Groth is one of the most respected names in the industry and his second edition of Network+ is another example of why.
Groth improves on his previous edition right from the very beginning with a handy tear out network+ study card. Also to make sure that you are ready there is exam objective and an assessment test in the front of the book.
Once that is completed the book then goes on to covers topics like the OSI model, Fundamentals of LANS, WANS, topology, cables, network hardware, and NOSs like Netware, Unix, NT and OS/2. All this is covered up to chapter 5.
Chapter 6 through 10 takes on the areas of Network installations, upgrades, remote access, security, disaster recovery and troubleshooting. Groth covers the objective in a logical easy to follow order and give you more information than the exam calls for.

Typical to most books Groth writes, there are review questions, figures, diagrams, tables and a practice exam. Included in the book is a cd with hundreds of questions. Also are electronic flash cards, a self-assessment test and an e-book for both the pc and palm tops. No there are no more excuses - excellent job!

Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003
Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 by William Tedder (Hardcover - May 2 2005)
CDN$ 98.99 CDN$ 62.36