5.0 out of 5 stars This Will Warm Your Heart!!, June 13 2004
This review is from: My Left Foot [Import] (DVD)
This movie will warm your heart. Daniel Day Lewis is extraordinary in this role of Christy Brown. In a day and age when those with special needs were thrown aside as rejects of society, this film is a very sensitive portrayal of the immense courage needed to forge one's way. Lewis deserved the Oscar for this film. What a marvelous actor! I wish he were more commercially palatable.
Thank you to my friend Kate in Minneapolis for recommending the picture, I'm sorry I took 15 years to act on her advice.
This is a very smart movie. :)
Jeffrey McAndrew
author of "Our Brown-Eyed Boy"

4.0 out of 5 stars My Left Foot = Stunning, Oct. 23 2003
Jonathan Clark (New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Left Foot [Import] (VHS Tape)
I will admit, I am one of the most picky film reviewers that has ever lived, and I have only ever given three films in my life a straight five out of five stars, however this film comes out as a four and a half out of five. Defiantly one of the most powerful films I have ever witnessed, and is on my top ten greatest films of all time list. Daniel Day-Lewis, who I have to admit I did not really cared for until I saw this film, gives a powerful tour de force of a performance, that shifts you from tears to joy and back again in only a few short minutes. However Day-Lewis is not the one who shines out above the rest, that is done by Brenda Fricker, in a stunningly beautiful performance, one of the greatest I have ever seen done by a female actor, both Fricker and Day-Lewis did above and beyond in their roles, and most defiantly deserved their Oscars. The direction is also dead on, along with the script, overall the entire film is an experience of a life time, by far the best movies of 1989, and one of the greatest achievement in film of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't feel sorry for yourself after seeing this movie, Nov. 26 2013
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Left Foot (DVD)
Christy Brown was born in Dublin to a very large, poor family. He had severe cerebral palsy and could only control his left foot. Without formal schooling, he became an acclaimed painter, writer, and poet.

This movie is absolutely wonderful. I'd put off watching it because I expected it be maudlin and manipulative, but it's not; it's earthy and defiant and hopeful, just like Christy. Daniel Day-Lewis earned the Best Actor Oscar for his stunning performance which manages to convey his horrible frustration and longings without being overly-sentimental. He's really outstanding. Brenda Fricker won Best Supporting Actress; she's immediately likable and admirable. The entire cast is perfect and the story is truly inspiring.

Heartily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars July 1st Reissue?, May 21 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: NEW My Left Foot (DVD) (DVD)
Indications from some DVD news sources indicate that this excellent 1989 Irish movie will be reissued on a DVD to be released on July 1, 2003. Let us hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 26 2014
This review is from: My Left Foot (DVD)
Daniel Day Lewis is one of the great actors & he was as usual great in this movie.

My Left Foot [Import]
My Left Foot [Import] by Jim Sheridan (DVD - 1999)
CDN$ 105.81