5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!
In my opinion, this is the best movie Michael J Fox has ever starred in. I have watched this movie more times than I can count, and continue to do so on a regular basis. In true 80's fashion, it's a classic that will be cherished for years to come.
Published 16 months ago by By a Satisfied Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, but.....
Published 12 months ago by Stephen R. Peckhover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, but....., July 17 2013
Stephen R. Peckhover "Crusty Rusty" (Aurora, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
.....even though it's in widescreen (1.85:1), there are black bars on either side, so the whole picture is surrounded by a rectangular black ring. Bloody annoying. 2 other movies with which I've had this problem are The Ref (Dennis Leary, Kevin Spacey), and Dead Man On Campus (Tom Everett Scott, Mark Paul Gosselaar). The Secret Of... was still fun to watch this one time, but I wouldn't watch it again with this problem. Must not be "enhanced for 16:9 t.v.s", because on my old 4:3 t.v. I never had this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, March 21 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret of My Success, April 17 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is one of the movies I do like with Michael J. Fox in it, but as one reviewer has already said "BEWARE OF AUNT VERA"!!! Yes, I have to admit that every scene she did with him (Fox) I couldn't stop from laughing. Talk about getting into a really 'tight' situation!! Well, as for the rest of the cast, they did their rolls well and if you want a good laugh, this DVD you will not regret buying. I have to admit that I like this one much better than his "Back to the Future" ones. I still like them, but I don't get any where near the laughs out of it that I did with this movie. With this I'd rate it 5 out of 5 stars whereas, the "Back to the Future" movies, I would only rank 4 out of 5. Since I bought this movie, I've had NO regrets!

4.0 out of 5 stars OOOHHH, Yeah!, March 16 2003
Glenn M. Schoditsch (Richmond, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
A pure fluff and fun movie with a rather clever theme. Helen Slater was a last minute replacement and her performance is a bit wooden but adequate for this very enjoyable film. A nice addition to the comedy section of your DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of "Auntie Vera", July 30 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
Brantley Foster (Michael J. Fox) new to the city is a young lad out of management school and looking for a job. Luck would have it that his Uncle Howard Prescott (Richard Jordan) runs a big corporation. He gets a chance to work his way up from the mail room.

In the process he encounters his uncle's wife "Auntie Vera"(Margaret Whitton.) She takes an instant shine to him. One of my favorite scenes is where he barely escapes Auntie Vera's clutches.

Soon he realizes that the only way to get to the top is start on a higher rung; finding an empty office and knowing the way the building system works, he takes on the persona of Carlton Whitfield male "Suit". He has a business type interaction with Christy (Helen Slater) a female "Suit". She has a quasi relationship with someone higher up.

Then the action starts. There is a "working" weekend in which everyone has a second agenda. To this weekend both Brantley and Carlton are invited.

What are Brantley and Vera cooking up?

Is Carlton getting too close to Christy?

Does someone else have plans for Christy?

Will Carlton meet Brantley?

And who is the "bimbo?"

4.0 out of 5 stars QUIRKY COMEDY FROM THE EIGHTIES, April 3 2004
Shashank Tripathi (Gadabout) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
A fairly strong recommendation for a charming feel-good entertainer about a young gun making it to the top, starting of course from the mail roon. We might as well have called it "The secret of how I succeeded without really trying". The script is thus obviously doozy and relies on some major implausible situational gaffes, but the energy of Michael Fox and the brilliant comic timing of Margaret Whitton as his aunt makes it all borderline credible. Plus, the snappy final half hour is the best part of the film, with some thoughtful romance thrown in for good measure. I guess we all have a hint of Bradley (Fox' character) buried in ourselves. A fun rental to lighten things up.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York here we come, March 26 2004
A. Macmillan "whitestripes123" (Minneapolis MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
this is a graet Michael J fox movie. its about a man who is liveing to lifes. he gets a job in new york at his uncles company as a mail boy. then he makes himslef out to be a new employee with a desk job and a secrotery. that may be confusing but trust me is a good movie. If you like Michael J fox i would say go rent it or buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael J. Fox's performance makes up for some big holes, Jan. 15 2004
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
It has dawned on me that I have probably used "The Secret of My Succe$s" as an example in class more than just about any other film ever made. Part of the reason is that most students have seen this film, so I am likely to get nods of recognition more than if I mention "Battleship Potemkin" or "Citizen Kane." This 1987 comedy tells the story of Brantley Foster (Michael J. Fox), who heads from his family's farm in Kansas to the Big Apple to put his business degree to use, but all he can get is a job in the mail room of a firm owned by a distant uncle (Richard Jordan). Brantley comes up with a short cut but there comes a moment when he has to step up to the plate and impress a group of potential investors with a brilliant idea. We see Brantley explain but his idea to an enthralled group of rich businessmen, but...WE HEAR NOTHING. The script by Jim Cash & Jack Epps, Jr. and AJ Carothers ("and" does not mean the same thing as "&" in Hollywood) could not come up with anything good enough to carry the scene so they just turned up the music and figured if we had enjoyed the movie to that point and if we liked Michael J. Fox then we would just buy this and proceed to the happy ending.
Contrast this with the movie that might be the one I mention second most in class, "The Karate Kid," and the great scene where Mr. Miyagi explains to Daniel-san that "sand the floor" means a whole lot than he ever imagined. That is the sort of scene that makes an entire movie, and "The Secret of My Success" has a big hole where that scene should be. There are more holes in this film, which allow Brantley to create the persona of Carlton Whitfield, a young executive in a previous empty office (being in the mailroom has its advantages in such a scheme) and provide a fairy godmother in the person of his Aunt Vera (Margaret Whitton). Meanwhile, Brantley (or Whitfield, depending on your perspective), is interested in Christy Wills (Helen Slater), who is introduced in the most erotic display of drinking from a water fountain in the history of American cinema.
This is Michael J. Fox's movie and his engaging performance forgives most of the film's faults in this mindless comedy (mindless in that you will like the film if you mind the holes in it less). Actually, I was amazed to really see how many stupid things happen in "The Secret of My Succe$s," but I still like Fox's performance. If nothing else, this film is a reminder that Fox was a gifted physical comedien. The world of business does not come out looking well, but then it is hard to find too many movies in the past twenty years that make you think kindly towards big business.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Michael!, Dec 8 2003
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
"The Secret of My Success" owes all its minimal success to the casting of Michael J. Fox, one of the most likable screen presences in all of film history. In "Back to the Future," he was the overwhelmed high schooler who accidentally traveled back in time to 1955 and had to find a way back. In "Teen Wolf," he was the highschooler turned into a werewolf. In "The Hard Way," one of the best cop-buddy films of all time, he was the eager-to-please Hollywood actor trying to do some good-natured research.
All his roles fall back on the Sweet Guy persona. In "The Secret of My Success," he plays Brantley, a Kansas boy who makes the big move to the Big Apple, where he lands a job at his uncle Howard's (Richard Jordan) firm. He gradually makes his way up the ladder as a mail boy, but his real break comes when he is mistaken for a higher-up and tries to woo hard-to-get girl Christy (Helen Slater), a beautiful co-worker of the company who buys Brantley's job position.
Simple premise, but it becomes all the more entangled when Brantley has to run back and forth between different job positions, changing clothes in the elevator and getting in a heated affair with his uncle's wife (played by Margaret Whitton), the kind of lady who doesn't take no for an answer.
The film's amorality is what struck me on multiple viewings. It sort of seems dirty and unclean -- Brantley's a farm boy but he's eager to get in a romance with his aunt. The casual sexuality of the film is what, ultimately, makes it sort of disturbing, and also sort of memorable, as odd as that may sound.
Fox shines in the lead role, and with any other actor the film would simply fall flat on its face. And, to be honest, a film like this could never be made nowadays -- I can imagine Jim Carrey in such a role, but the outcome would be wholly different. The eighties were an entire generation of comedy unto themselves. A lot of people love the comedies from the eighties because so many were made with so little thought and yet a lot of heart, kind of like "The Secret of My Success." Its mediocrity is what drives it, amazingly, but also its heart, and so many comedies nowadays lack the heart of the comedies from the eighties.
I come back to "The Secret of My Success" a lot, probably because I saw it on TV when I was younger and it's been in my head ever since. It's a routine film that's hardly recommendable, but I actually enjoy it a lot the more I watch it, and it has a kind of frenetic comedic energy that most of the films of the genre are lacking nowadays.
The script, by Jim Cash nd Jack Epps Jr., seems as though it were one from an earlier decade. It has a delightful sweetness to it that's simply not unnoticeable.
I understand how many would dislike this film. The critic Roger Ebert gave "The Secret of My Success" 1.5/4 stars upon its inital release in 1987. I can't say I wouldn't have, either, if I were in his shoes. But comedies, over time, sort of grow on you, and this is one of those cases.
It's not as good as "Back to the Future," or "The Hard Way," but it's a lot like Fox's "Teen Wolf" (1985): fast-paced, extremely routine, cliched, flawed, and lots of fun. Don't miss this one, even if it isn't exactly the pinnacle of comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie!, July 15 2003
Ghislain Comeau (Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is a great exemple of what happens to the business today, the movie itself is great, with the image of the "white knight" American who save the corporation. I in a academic point of view find the concept hysterical, even more if you look at corporation today! We might need more Brantly Foster around.
Anyway Micheal J. Fox Rules!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Secret of My Success (Widescreen)
The Secret of My Success (Widescreen) by Herbert Ross (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 9.99