5.0 out of 5 stars great read
This book is fantastic. It is well written and is one of the greatest pieces of war that I've ever read. Recommended.
Published 19 months ago by CAMBOT

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare in Therapy
Published 6 months ago by David R. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare in Therapy, Sept. 24 2013
The detail in this book sometimes weighs down the reading. It's a "study" of this famous engagement suffered by the American military in Somalia. I hated it as much as I was compelled to read it. It's not a pleasant read. The descriptions of wounds are graphic. I suppose every soldier would do well to read this before he went to battle. The realism is astounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, Sept. 3 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Hawk Down, May 14 2004
Jordan kempfle (greenwich, ct, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
This book is so cool. It should be on your top ten list. Well, thats what I think. There is so much action and suspense. I cant stop reading it. There are so many facts. I think that the book was relly good. People should read this book if they're into action. You will probably like it just as much as me. I gave this book a five star rating

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking and Riveting, Sept. 27 2004
"midnite565" (Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book truly proves that war is no game. Where fear is always on the move.
The book was a powerful aspect of the men who died in Somalia, carfully scripted and studied that it proved WHY the Somali's attacked the Americans.
This book earned my respect and I reccommend to ANYONE.
Even if you are the romantic person, this book will move you deeply.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, July 14 2004
David C. Read (Keene, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Mark Bowden has done an outstanding job of telling the story of the battle of Mogadishu. U.S. army rangers and delta forces were in Mogadishu trying to kill or capture Mohamed Farrah Aidid, a local warlord, leader of the Habr Gidr clan, who was preventing international relief agencies from properly distributing food in famine-decimated Somalia.
Trying to pluck one well-hidden person from the midst of a very sympathetic populace is not so easy, as we learned then and have re-learned in the case of Ossama bin Ladin. The U.S. began to settle for picking off top Aidid aids.
This battle bagan when U.S. forces learned that two Aidid lieutenants were meeting in a building near the center of the Aidid-controlled section of Mogadishu. The plan called for Delta forces to take the building and capture the men, for army rangers to secure the corners of the block containing the target building, and for black Hawk helicopters to provide overhead cover for the rangers.
It was a reasonably good plan, but it had one very serious weakness. It turned out that the Black Hawks were very vulnerable to fire from rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), a cheap and reliable Soviet made weapons system. RPGs are as common as dirt in third world countries, and Aidid's forces had plenty of them. Two of the Black Hawks were shot down by RPG fire, and two more were damaged so badly that they had to crash land back at the U.S. base. In trying to retrieve the downed Black Hawk pilots and crews (or their bodies), the rangers and Delta forces got shot to hell by an extremely hostile city full of AK-47-toting Somalis.
It is an amazing story, well told by Mark Bowden. Part of the irony and horror of the situation is that we were only trying to help, we were only trying to do good. Yet we ended up getting 19 of our own boys killed and 70 others wounded, and killing perhaps (no one knows for sure) 500 Somalis. The moral to the story is that if you're trying to do good, send missionaries. The army is not a missionary force. The purpose of the army is to kill people, and it should never be deployed unless U.S. national security is implicated, which it was not in Somalia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., July 8 2004
Everett Littles (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I first hear about this book years ago when someone suggested it on tv. But I did not pay it any attention until I saw the movie. Once I saw the movie I wanted to know more about what happened with those soldiers. What I loved about the book was Mark Bowden's attention to detail. It is as if you are reading a very long but very interesting news article. I did not sense any bias, as if Mr. Bowden was trying to lead me to see only one side of this story. Needless to say, the book is very informative and has given me a new favorite author. I am reading his other book "Killing Pablo" now and loving it. Read Blackhawk Down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Half the Story, July 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Mark Bowden's story is an excellent retelling of the events of that day in 1993, but it only tells half the story. I don't think he even realized he was telling only part, even though he did try to get Somali voices in it. The real other half, which he does not seem to have a clue about, is that the whole event was a trap, an ambush coordinated and managed by Bin Laden and the Islamists in Sudan and Iran (see Y. Bodansky's book, Bin Laden, The Man Who Declared War on America). Isn't the author even curious about how, without any warning, all of these snipers and other armed individuals knew to be where the US soldiers were at that particular time? Mogadishu was and is a pretty lawless place, but even there I doubt that most areas have that many RPG launchers in one place all the time, just in case US soldiers drop in. The lack of adequate intelligence then and now, has led to the vulnerability of Western nations to terrorism. That and an unwillingness to admit that anyone could hate the US enough to ambush its soldiers, as well as putting hundreds of innocent civilians in the line of fire. Unfortunately, the US did not learn in Mogadishu, at the Khobar Towers, on the USS Cole, or even the WTC bombing in 1993. But it did learn on Sept. 11th.
This book is very good in many ways. But the complete story of these events in Mogadishu has yet to be told.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic acount of modern war., June 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Black Hawk Down is about the battle on October 3rd, 1993 in Somalia. I won't reveal anything, because I think you should read this wonderful book for yourself. However, if I do say so myself, the message of this book is irreperable, and that is that regular people can do extraordinary things, if they are in a desperate situations. The writing is overall very well done. It is truly a quality book. The book gives you great insight into the battle, but don't take it all from me, read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, May 21 2004
W. Simon (Baghdad, IQ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
What a fascinating and gripping account of modern urban combat! Bowden has written an excellent narrative of the ferocious events in Mogadishu on 3-4 October 1993. I would reccommend this book to any student of history, political science, or military studies--especially soldiers in need of an understanding of how, when even minute mistakes are made in planning, terrible things can happen to deter a unit's mission. One crticism is that Bowden should have shied from the political critique in his Epilogue. Since his book focused on the Rangers' and D-boys' combat experience, that's what he should have discussed. It seems that the political implications leading to US / UN involvement in Somalia were an afterthought and Bowden does a much better job focusing on the stories of the individuals involved. Overall, however, this is a great read and a fascinating testament to the courage, bravery, and devotion to each other shown by those who participated in the terrible Bakara Market Battle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story Of A Modern War, May 13 2004
Anthony (Grayslake IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
"Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden was one of the best war book that I have read. The story is a true story about 500 American soilders and Marines who go to Somalia(Which is located in east Africa) to bring food to all the starving people but War Lord Mohammed Farid Aidid siezes control of the ports where the Americans are giving the food to the people. Mohammed is taking the food to his army. The Americans come and try to arrest some of Mohammed's top Officers. Everything was going as planned. They were ready to transport the prisoners until Wolcott Black Hawk was shot downand 100 American soldiers were pinned down against 1000 angry Somalians. They set up a perimitor around the crash site untill Mike Durrant Black Hawk was hit and they had two blawk hawks in the city and now the whole city is against them. If you want to hear more you should read this book. This is a good book for anybody who likes true storys or war books. Personally, I think it was the best war book I have ever read.

ARRAY(0xc13c11e0)

Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden (Hardcover - March 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.30