5.0 out of 5 stars Bit wordy in places but good read.
Story of war. Bit wordy in places but good read. Recommend
Published 15 days ago by JimmieA.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare in Therapy
Published 10 months ago by David R. Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit wordy in places but good read., July 11 2014
Story of war. Bit wordy in places but good read. Recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Bravery & futility., June 6 2014
This is a story of futility and bravery. Unfortunately it included indiscriminate killing of civilians, which happens in war.

Well written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare in Therapy, Sept. 24 2013
The detail in this book sometimes weighs down the reading. It's a "study" of this famous engagement suffered by the American military in Somalia. I hated it as much as I was compelled to read it. It's not a pleasant read. The descriptions of wounds are graphic. I suppose every soldier would do well to read this before he went to battle. The realism is astounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, Sept. 3 2012
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
This book is fantastic. It is well written and is one of the greatest pieces of war that I've ever read. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Hawk Down, May 14 2004
Jordan kempfle (greenwich, ct, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
This book is so cool. It should be on your top ten list. Well, thats what I think. There is so much action and suspense. I cant stop reading it. There are so many facts. I think that the book was relly good. People should read this book if they're into action. You will probably like it just as much as me. I gave this book a five star rating

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking and Riveting, Sept. 27 2004
"midnite565" (Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book truly proves that war is no game. Where fear is always on the move.
The book was a powerful aspect of the men who died in Somalia, carfully scripted and studied that it proved WHY the Somali's attacked the Americans.
This book earned my respect and I reccommend to ANYONE.
Even if you are the romantic person, this book will move you deeply.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, July 14 2004
David C. Read (Keene, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Mark Bowden has done an outstanding job of telling the story of the battle of Mogadishu. U.S. army rangers and delta forces were in Mogadishu trying to kill or capture Mohamed Farrah Aidid, a local warlord, leader of the Habr Gidr clan, who was preventing international relief agencies from properly distributing food in famine-decimated Somalia.
Trying to pluck one well-hidden person from the midst of a very sympathetic populace is not so easy, as we learned then and have re-learned in the case of Ossama bin Ladin. The U.S. began to settle for picking off top Aidid aids.
This battle bagan when U.S. forces learned that two Aidid lieutenants were meeting in a building near the center of the Aidid-controlled section of Mogadishu. The plan called for Delta forces to take the building and capture the men, for army rangers to secure the corners of the block containing the target building, and for black Hawk helicopters to provide overhead cover for the rangers.
It was a reasonably good plan, but it had one very serious weakness. It turned out that the Black Hawks were very vulnerable to fire from rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), a cheap and reliable Soviet made weapons system. RPGs are as common as dirt in third world countries, and Aidid's forces had plenty of them. Two of the Black Hawks were shot down by RPG fire, and two more were damaged so badly that they had to crash land back at the U.S. base. In trying to retrieve the downed Black Hawk pilots and crews (or their bodies), the rangers and Delta forces got shot to hell by an extremely hostile city full of AK-47-toting Somalis.
It is an amazing story, well told by Mark Bowden. Part of the irony and horror of the situation is that we were only trying to help, we were only trying to do good. Yet we ended up getting 19 of our own boys killed and 70 others wounded, and killing perhaps (no one knows for sure) 500 Somalis. The moral to the story is that if you're trying to do good, send missionaries. The army is not a missionary force. The purpose of the army is to kill people, and it should never be deployed unless U.S. national security is implicated, which it was not in Somalia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., July 8 2004
Everett Littles (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I first hear about this book years ago when someone suggested it on tv. But I did not pay it any attention until I saw the movie. Once I saw the movie I wanted to know more about what happened with those soldiers. What I loved about the book was Mark Bowden's attention to detail. It is as if you are reading a very long but very interesting news article. I did not sense any bias, as if Mr. Bowden was trying to lead me to see only one side of this story. Needless to say, the book is very informative and has given me a new favorite author. I am reading his other book "Killing Pablo" now and loving it. Read Blackhawk Down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Half the Story, July 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Mark Bowden's story is an excellent retelling of the events of that day in 1993, but it only tells half the story. I don't think he even realized he was telling only part, even though he did try to get Somali voices in it. The real other half, which he does not seem to have a clue about, is that the whole event was a trap, an ambush coordinated and managed by Bin Laden and the Islamists in Sudan and Iran (see Y. Bodansky's book, Bin Laden, The Man Who Declared War on America). Isn't the author even curious about how, without any warning, all of these snipers and other armed individuals knew to be where the US soldiers were at that particular time? Mogadishu was and is a pretty lawless place, but even there I doubt that most areas have that many RPG launchers in one place all the time, just in case US soldiers drop in. The lack of adequate intelligence then and now, has led to the vulnerability of Western nations to terrorism. That and an unwillingness to admit that anyone could hate the US enough to ambush its soldiers, as well as putting hundreds of innocent civilians in the line of fire. Unfortunately, the US did not learn in Mogadishu, at the Khobar Towers, on the USS Cole, or even the WTC bombing in 1993. But it did learn on Sept. 11th.
This book is very good in many ways. But the complete story of these events in Mogadishu has yet to be told.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic acount of modern war., June 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Hawk Down (Paperback)
Black Hawk Down is about the battle on October 3rd, 1993 in Somalia. I won't reveal anything, because I think you should read this wonderful book for yourself. However, if I do say so myself, the message of this book is irreperable, and that is that regular people can do extraordinary things, if they are in a desperate situations. The writing is overall very well done. It is truly a quality book. The book gives you great insight into the battle, but don't take it all from me, read the book.

Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden (Hardcover - March 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.40