5.0 out of 5 stars Words cannot convey...
Published on March 17 2004 by Susan J. Keenan

2.0 out of 5 stars Five star film - two star DVD (transfer)
Published on March 19 2004 by Mangostan

5.0 out of 5 stars Words cannot convey..., March 17 2004
Susan J. Keenan "aladriel84" (Cumberland, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Words cannot convey...and this is one of the things this incredible movie teaches us. The Piano is one of my favorite movies of all time. The scenery is breathtaking. Holly Hunter is brilliant as Ada, the mute (by choice) "victim" of an arranged marriage. Her facial expressions and physical movements express more than words could ever say. In fact, I found that once I become aware of watching her gestures, I began watching the expressions of other characters in the movie also. Harvey Kietel is cast in a very different role for him and the result is impressive and shows a much larger range of his acting ability. The music in the film is beautiful and is Ada's true "voice".
This movie must not be watched in the ordinary way one would watch any other movie. If you're just going to watch it in a literal way, this isn't the movie for you. The Piano is a wonderous combination of music, scenery and symbolism. It's like a dream sequence. The movie feels almost enchanted. The filming of 2 major scenes of violence is exquisite. I didn't notice the violence itself so much as I felt the pain of the characters.
I highly recommend this film...no matter how many times I watch it, it never fails to move me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous film, Oct. 28 2013
This review is from: The Piano (Bilingual) (DVD)
Incredibly beautiful story. Anna Paquin was outstanding. She is a genius as a little child with incredible responsibility and curiosity. One of my favorite all time films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sensual, Aug. 25 2013
This review is from: The Piano (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is a very sensual movie... He makes love to her... in every gesture..He knows how to touch her heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful movie!, July 3 2013
This review is from: The Piano (Bilingual) (DVD)
I initially bought this movie because of all the awards it received. I was not disappointed! The acting was superb -the scenery was beautiful-and the story showed that love will win out! This movie was definitely adult-oriented but not offensive aqs is often the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic film now on blu-ray., May 6 2014
M. J. Monaghan "OFD68" (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
My copy froze about an hour into the film, but because it had a DVD copy I just switched discs. Perhaps that's why they give you a second copy. Anyway the provider replaced it after I informed them of the problem, but it took a reminder to get the replacement blu-ray.
I enjoyed the film more than when I originally saw it, mainly because I watched it over two sittings.
Gruesome losing a finger.
Why can everyone in the movies swim under water for two minutes when most people panic after 10 seconds ?

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and disturbing., March 6 2014
This review is from: The Piano (Bilingual) (DVD)
For those looking for straight romance --- this is not your movie. For those looking for a study of romance: how it can twist people's souls towards good and evil as they seek love --- this is your movie. Not a light movie, but a good one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Five star film - two star DVD (transfer), March 19 2004
Mangostan (Quebec CanaDA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
I just got my copy from Amazon and what a disappointment. The Piano is one of my favorite films and living in Quebec I had a hard time finding the widescreen version of the film. Imagine my joy to find it, finally, here on Amazon. However, having got it, and looked at it, I realize that the picture is a scan from one of the theatrical copies - it is full of dust (black specks that appear all over the image. In a day and age where even the cheapest DVD's are cleaned in post-production it is an outrage to see such a beautiful film with dust all over it. I wish they'd do another transfer from the original negative. Furthermore the widescreen - although considered wide is actually a 3:4 image letterboxed - it is not a real 16:9 widescreen transfer - meaning that you will have a lot fewer lines of image than you would have if it had been transferred anamorphic - For DVD lovers this is really a disappointment - and only 2.0 surround. If you love the film enough to live with these disappointments - I actually do - get the film. If you prefer pristine images and great sound - you'll be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars If Looks Could Kill, March 15 2004
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
THE PIANO is a very unusual, enigmatic and haunting film. To say anything less would be incredulous. It is a story set in some remote coastal hills of a very bleak eighteenth century New Zealand overrun by dense jungle, mud, the elements and crude natives. Ada (Holly Hunter) and her young mischievously meddlesome daughter Flora (Anna Paquin) arrive on the New Zealand beach to meet Stewart (Sam Neill) whom has arranged to marry Ada. Ada, as we discover in the prolog is a woman who has not spoken since she was 6 years old. She is not only mute but strangely introverted and repressed. A piano, which Ada has brought with her, is her only means of expression. The ex-seaman ex-whaler Baines (Harvey Keitel) is a rather crude looking character who becomes enchanted by Ada's piano, which has been left on the beach. He retrieves it, buys it and then has Ada barter for its return setting the conflict of personalities and their repressed feelings into motion. Ada's mute playing of the piano is juxtaposed by her piercing dark eyes focusing from her face shrouded in ever so pale white skin. Her looks are riveting and disturbing. The image of Paquin's face is unnerving. As the film progresses we see that the primary characters are truly misunderstood from what our initial impressions had ascertained them to be. This is an exceptional film that you have to watch and listen to closely because of its very subtle nature that envelops your senses. The characters and the actors that portray them are brilliantly presented. Stuart Dryburgh's cinematography is equally important because the images on the screen take on a life and spirit of their own in this haunting film.

5.0 out of 5 stars ethereal...simply breathtaking!!!, Sept. 6 2003
"funky511" (Stockton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
warning: watching this movie will put you in a dreamlike and emotionally charged and effected state for hours after you watch it, for me it was days.
I have never seen a movie that has had such a profound effect on the people who view it, myself included. It is not the kind of emotional experiance where you cry throughout the movie. It is the kind that makes you gasp and keeps you motionless.
The plot could be seen as a simple love triangle, between the mute woman Ada (Holly Hunter), her husband of an arranged marrage (Sam Neil) and her slightly gruff and seclusive neighbor (Harvey Keitel).
It is much more than that, it is also a story about Ada's love for her Piano. The love for her tool to speak. The way her neighbor George Bains understands this love and her husband does not.
The casting for the movie is perfect. Holly Hunter does not speak, nor does she cry and wail when she is angry or sad. She simply FEELS, and we can easily see what she is feeling without her showing us. Her Academy Award was well deserved.
Anna Paquin, who also recieved an Academy Award for her performance as Ada's mischivous but angleic daughter, is brilliant. Sam Neil's charachter is not as developed as some of the others. But the sadness seen in his eyes makes you wonder what bad things have happened to him in tha past, for you can tell by how easily he gets frusterated with Ada that something else has happened.
Harvey Keitel has played a difficult character, because he makes a very crude offer to Ada concerning how she can get her Piano back. Written on a peice of paper, George Bains would seem like a perverted creep...but Keitel plays his character with warmth, and immediatly you know that Bains knows what he is doing, and you trust him.
The real supporting cast would also have to be the cinematography and the music. Both contribute an intensity to the film that is priceless.
A Tip: watch this movie at night or when you have a whole day off, it will alter your mood for the day.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Piano, May 1 2011
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
INTERESTING NOTE: I purchased this DVD title, a Canadian release on LIONS GATE, not listed on Amazon anywhere that I could find. There was nothing on the DVD cover stating whether it was Widescreen or Full Screen version. On playback I was getting a Letterbox Widescreen (black frame around entire film as noted in the WS/FS reviews) until the opening credits were finished then it went in a Full Screen version. Even worse than this was that the soundtrack was showing as 2/0 Stereo, but 90% of the sound was only coming out of the left speaker. If you see this LIONS GATE release remember this information before you buy it.

The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import]
The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] by Jane Campion (DVD - 1998)
CDN$ 41.88