5.0 out of 5 stars Words cannot convey...
Words cannot convey...and this is one of the things this incredible movie teaches us. The Piano is one of my favorite movies of all time. The scenery is breathtaking. Holly Hunter is brilliant as Ada, the mute (by choice) "victim" of an arranged marriage. Her facial expressions and physical movements express more than words could ever say. In fact, I found...
Published on March 17 2004 by Susan J. Keenan

2.0 out of 5 stars Five star film - two star DVD (transfer)
I just got my copy from Amazon and what a disappointment. The Piano is one of my favorite films and living in Quebec I had a hard time finding the widescreen version of the film. Imagine my joy to find it, finally, here on Amazon. However, having got it, and looked at it, I realize that the picture is a scan from one of the theatrical copies - it is full of dust (black...
Published on March 19 2004 by Mangostan

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A moody drama that was very bittersweet., June 30 2004
Ryne Williams (Cleveland, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
This is the first film I have seen with Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel. They both gave good performances, and the movie itself was strange but likeable. Anna Pacquin and Sam Neil also gave great performances. The movie did have a lot of nudity that was really un-neccesary. The cinematography was good and the setting was a cool, dark, but beautiful place. The film was very different and really surprised me, like most films do. I recommend this for romantic buffs, and people who love to watch great performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Look At Romance, May 30 2004
Shaun Williams (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
All the things that characterize a Hollywood romance are turned upside down and changed about in this film. The usual fare is the interactions between two urbanites with huge polished smiles stuck to their faces. They enter a relationship which is loud, giddy, and giggly.
In The Piano, the woman doesn't speak at all and both men are stoic sorts who have lived in a hard land. A lot happens under the surface where we can only guess at it. In mainstream films, the emphasis for the man is rushing in and grabbing the woman of his dreams with all possible speed.
But here, just once, the quiet, patient, and tender man emerges with the lady. And what's more, when we first see him, we fail to see through his hard exterior. Even the viewer comes to know this man's virtue only over time.
I found this to be an incredibly beautiful story and as if that alone wasn't good enough, I also greatly enjoyed the cinematography and the music. This is one of those films that I find guilty of being incredibly good on all counts.
And a final note about male nudity: Yes it is in this film. Both male and female are seen completely nude. And there's nothing wrong with the male part. We men have beautiful bodies too. Art of the past has had no compunctions about showing nude males and correctly so. I'm not sure I can understand this modern prudery.

4.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKING!, May 12 2004
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
I haven't seen this movie for a long time, but saw it again the other day. I forgot how powerful it was and how breathtaking all the actors are as well as the scenery. Strong performances and beautiful music (I bought the soundtrack long ago and had to dust it off after seeing this movie again!). As for some of the negative comments of seeing Harvey Keitel naked (full frontal, too), and found him disgusting looking, well, folks, that's how most people look in real life!

1.0 out of 5 stars Creative Artists in a Bad Soap-Opera, May 3 2004
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
What went wrong with this film? Everyone involved has done brilliant work before and after this production, yet when they combined all their talent together they ended up with a movie that steamrolled the creator's statement over the characters and their actions.
None of the characters act in any sense other than to be moved as pieces on the gameboard for the writer in an attempt to say "something." What that something is is obviously supposed to make us sympathize with Hunter's character, but she is drawn as such a cartoon (a boorish, manipulative cartoon at that), one can never feel anything for her other than wonder why she is ruining everyone else's life around her? Perhaps for the kicks? It would certainly seen so, as she has no reason to even be in the film except as to create unhappiness for all the other characters.
If one wants a film dealing with the ability for the human spirit to rise upon inprisonment, there are many, many, MANY better films than this one. One can only leave this movie feeling cold and depressed because it never is more than cardboardish, hateful characters doing terrible things to each other (including a clumsy attempted-rape sequence) until the out of the blue "happy" ending that seemed tacked on to help the bitter pill be easily to swallow by American audiences.
Shallow and desperate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly, achingly beautiful!, Feb. 7 2004
pripen "pri3" (Portland,OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Beautiful and brilliant are the words that come to my mind for this movie. The music still haunts me. The ocean, the music, the rain and the forest, one does feel it all. The movie is an amazing emotional rollercoaster ride.
As a mute women married off to a stranger, something which must be common in those days, Ada's (Holly Hunter) piano is how talks. Her husband fails to listen to her but Keitel does! This movie by a women director explores women's perspective in relationships in such a musical, passionate, beautiful fassion that it takes your breath away.
Some of the scenes in this movie are going to stay with me for a long, long time. The music too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly Beautiful, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
"The Piano" stars Holly Hunter, Sam Neill, Harvey Keitel, and Anna Paquin. It received several Oscar nominations, including Best Picture. Its brilliant quality proves that every nomination was deserved. The plot of a mute woman, Ada, whose only form of expression is through her piano was written beautifully. Jane Campion's Oscar winning efforts express her highly creative outlook in film. It combines drama, mystery, and romance. Many twists and turns arise as Ada falls in love with a mysterious man not her husband. The movie's gloomy theme blends perfectly with every event; past, present, or future. It reminds the audience of the danger that certain characters are in, regardless of what they say or do. The cinematography and the editing wonderfully contribute to this effect.
The art design proves that the artists researched the European styles of the 1800's. Every detail is flawless. The costumes were equally wonderfully crafted. Every detail on the set contributes to the movie plot, adding its necessary theme.
Every actor performs their roles beautifully. Holly Hunter's Best Actress Oscar winning role, Ada, was highly emotional. Only one other performer has won the Oscar for a lead role for playing a mute person(Marlee Matlin, 1986). She never holds back a drop of heart and soul through her character. Her task of expressing her character's emotions through only non-verbal means is highly difficult. She mastered it. This is her best role in her career. Anna Paquin's Best Supporting Actress Oscar winning role, Ada's daughter Flora, is amazing. This made her the second youngest Oscar winner for acting efforts(age 11). No words can describe how amazing and how underrated she is. Her European accent is as flawless as her acting. Harvey Keitel offers his own mystery theme in his Oscar nominated role as Ada's gothic non-husband lover. Sam Neill's role as Ada's wife is brilliant. His character's rage scenes are perfect. All other actors, major or minor, also perform their roles wonderfully.
"The Piano" offers an amazing roller coaster ride, though some scenes may become highly depressing. Those looking for a power drama should watch this movie. This offers high emotions that forces the audience to feel what that characters are feeling. Many viewers will be entertained throughout. Some may have to watch this movie multiple times to fully understand the events thoroughly. Many have watched this ten times, and they continue to discover new, interesting details. "The Piano" will be a classic in the upcoming years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who wants to see Harvey's p _n_ s?, Nov. 3 2003
TaintYoWagon (Germantown, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
If your answer is yes, then the Piano is your movie. Too bad we only have stars to choose from, I would have definitely given this one two spheres if I could have. It's not a bad movie if you like to watch a mute and see a man who should not be revealing himself reveal himself. I leave it to you, but be warned curiosity killed the cat and damn near took me.
Be Careful.
Archibald Lasalles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Movie, Oct. 25 2003
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
To me, this film was not very good. It didn't pass any feelings through me like most good movies. I would say that the story for this movie is sick and kind of stupid, and some of the actors (not to mention any names) did not do a good job playing in it. The movie did entertain me enough, though, to sit through the whole thing. I totally fell in love with the music. To me, just hearing the music in it was worth the long watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, Sept. 26 2003
Adam Chen (Mercer Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
I highly recommend this movie. However, I find myself disagreeing with the person who suggested that art house productions are an acid test of how deep a person you really are. You only need to look outside of your window to know you are deep.
As for the soul, what's to say that we don't have one? This film greets us with that suggestion, as such, and guessing is one thing compared to another: not proof.
Check your baggage out the door. There is no right way to enjoy this film, only let it soak into you. If you love this film you'll surely enjoy the way the songs melt into you from the skin up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Movie, Sept. 4 2003
This review is from: The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
It's the greatest movie I ever saw. I suggest you to watch this movie. I watched it 4 times already and will watch it again sometime.
:-D

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import]
The Piano (Widescreen/Full Screen) [Import] by Jane Campion (DVD - 1998)
CDN$ 38.44