5.0 out of 5 stars The true ultimate !
I was looking for the begining of the x-men universe.
This is one of the best comic I bought this year !

(ultimate spider-man is not as good as this one)
Published on Dec 6 2009 by P. Richard

2.0 out of 5 stars And Again, Modern Comics Disappoint
I'll be honest, the main reason I bought this TPB was because Andy Kubert did some of the artwork, and I loved the work he did on the recent Flashpoint series in DC Comics.

Published on Sept. 5 2012 by T. M. Stamler

2.0 out of 5 stars And Again, Modern Comics Disappoint, Sept. 5 2012
T. M. Stamler "Wannabe Anonymous" (Stonewall, MB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 1 (Paperback)

That said, my hopes weren't particularly high for the first 12 (and a half) issues of the Ultimate X-Men. Call me old-fashioned, but a remake of any kind (movie, book, whatever) should try to improve on the original story and characters and try to do some things a bit differently to keep things fresh. While Mark Millar may try things a little differently, it really doesn't improve on the Earth-616 X-Men.

Something people have to realize (both writers and fans) was that the first X-Men comics were written in the 1960s when there were race riots going on in North America; the X-Men were supposed to be a reference to that. Now things may not be perfect for ethnic relations in America right now, but they're a lot better than they were in the 60s, but in Marvel Comics most humans still seem to have the same hate-on for mutants. It would be kind of nice if that were reflected in the comics, both Original and Ultimate, to make it a little more believable and to show that, slowly, things really do begin to change.

The Ultimate characters, while possessing some cool powers, are nothing special, and seem rather two-dimensional compared to their counterparts. And like most action stories nowadays, any fun or humor seems to have been sucked right out in favour of darker elements, some of which make little to no sense. In the beginning, to combat Magneto's terrorist threat, the US government unleashes the Sentinels. While I could see and understand them sending them against Magnteo, they have these things destroying city blocks to get to single mutants and kill them. Really?

So the Ultimate Comics, like most remakes these days, are dark, badly written, and makes me think that these writers have run out of ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The true ultimate !, Dec 6 2009
This review is from: Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 1 (Paperback)
I was looking for the begining of the x-men universe.
This is one of the best comic I bought this year !

(ultimate spider-man is not as good as this one)

Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 1
Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 1 by Geoff Johns (Paperback - April 26 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 19.99