Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on May 12, 2003
But what else could it be with two of the greatest comic book professionals ever teaming up to add much needed dimension to a character that was at the time a little flat. The fact that this story idea was created and plotted as Claremont and Miller were driving back from the San Diego comic book convention probably helped fuel some of the angst that the poured into revamping Logan's character.
This story cements Wolverine as a Ronin, a Samurai without a master, and shows him one of his greatest loves, the tragic Mariko Yashida, who is still one of my favorites out of Logan's vast bevy of beauties.
Whether you're a long time Wolverine/X-Men reader and somehow managed to skip over this one, or a fan of the movies and looking for a place to start, I highly recommend this graphic novel.
Just a note, if you are just beginning, please check out the Essential Wolverine volumes 1-3. For the money you get a lot a great reading and even more insight into this enigmatic mutant.
on April 18, 2013
I ordered this trade collection after watching the exciting "The Wolverine" film trailer and learning that this is an important source material.

This collection collects Wolverine #1-4 & Uncanny X-men 172-173

Two renowned comic book masters Chris Claremont and Frank Miller team-up to create an excellent and influential Wolverine story. I was very much in favor of the more humanized Wolverine approach and admire the Batman: Year One feel; where Wolverine is depicted as a lone samurai, a "Ronin" lost in his wanderlust. Wolverine is learning through hardships, combats, heartbreaks... it almost feels like a "Year One" story for him. I LOVE IT! I love origin stories!

I read the introduction by Claremont at the beginning of this trade. I had great comfort hearing that Claremont and Miller had strong interests in writing and illustrating a more human characterization of Wolverine. He pointed out it might have been a radical direction to take at the time, because Wolverine was predominantly perceived as a Berserker; but it was his time to have a refreshing new interpretation (new material) that inspire readers and creators (artists & writers) alike!

I also really enjoyed how the story takes place mainly in Japan, it certainly gives a more unique and authentic feel to this adventure. It's a little more surreal and thrilling being away from home.

Quick blurb about the story:
Wolverine travels to Japan to find his lost love, but only to encounter deadly ninja assassins known as "The Hand". This Wolverine tale is cunning, exciting, rewarding, filled with awesome action and romance! (yes you heard me right!).

I'm glad I picked this one up!
If you are interested in reading an exciting and important story about Wolverine that's full of intrigue I highly recommend this title!

Looking forward to seeing the movie!

on March 15, 2004
This is one of the classic Wolverine stories. It's Chris Claremont and Frank Miller teamed together--and that alone should tell you how great this is. I remember when it came out in the original 4 part limited series (which I have). It's great. And now with this TPB I don't have to reread the original comic books and risk damaging them. And have I mentioned that this series is great?
on August 21, 2001
Wolverine has to be my most favorite superhero ever. He's unlike the average superhero: he has a short temper and a psychotic berserker rage to match. He has powerful admantimum claws that can slice through steel like a hot knife through butter, plus he has a whole admantimum-bonded skeleton. He's basically a comic book superhero that you would be nuts not to love. This graphic novel, Wolverine, tells of when Logan was in love with a Japanese girl from a powerful family, and tells of his adventures in Japan against The Hand and the evil Japanese crimelords. It also shows a more human, loving, side to Wolverine that we don't often get to see. It also has plenty of Wolverine-style and kung-fu action. I'll admit that this graphic novel may not have the best art ever in it (considering that it was made in like 1986) but it has one of the best dang plots and storylines that I've ever seen! This is truly a classic! 'Nuff said, bub!
on September 12, 2002
First off, I must disagree with Zsinj16 whom does not like the art. The artwork in this series (made into a single edition) is awesome. Nowadays Wolverine, who is a little guy, is drawn like he is juiced up on steroids and growth horomone. In this graphic novel, like the early X-Men comic books he was a part of, he is drawn like an athletic man. Logan is a warrior, but does not have "Super" strength. In short, I love the art, it's realistic, colorful, and shows the movements of battle, a long lost aspect of super-hero comics.
This tale is how Logan wins the hand of his lover, who belongs to a crime syndicate family in Japan. It also has great characters, such as Asano, that have history with Wolverine. It is a "must read".
on January 11, 2003
This was the first graphic novel I ever bought and I got it way back when it first came out in 1987. Of course back then it was only 7 dollars. I have reread it many times and it's still a favorite of mine, the amazing thing about it is that I'm not a very big Wolverine fan at all. So I believe this story will hold up even if you know nothing about the character at all. The story is still very cool even after all these years. A story of action and honour is what you'll experience between the covers of this book and the cover is still one of the coolest I've ever seen. It was probably the reason it caught my eye in the first place, but it was the story that's never allowed me to forget this book.
on November 19, 2001
I wanted to read this story because I had heard it dealt with Wolverine's background, involving his samurai training. Well, the story didn't disappoint, as it dealt with not only that aspect but the romantic side of the character as well. Before Claremont and Miller got their hands on the fan-favourite character, Wolverine used to be a one dimensional violent character. Through the talents of the two brilliant writers, Wolverine know has a more noble side to him, and it comes through in the story. For on of the better Wolverine books, pick this one up.
on October 21, 2003
To tell you the truth, I have never been a fan of X-Men or Wolverine. Yes, I've probably just read all of the wrong comics... except this one. I can remember sitting in a local book shop and reading this trade paper back all the way through. I was blown away. The writing is good, great infact, and the old-school art is actualy very good.
This is one of the best comics I've read. Almost anything Frank Miller touches turns out good, and this is proof of that. I enjoyed this read, and I think most anyone else would as well.
on December 3, 1999
Back in the mid-80s Chris Claremont and Frank Miller joined creative talents to write the first 4 issure Wolverine miniseries. It had great plot, great art and excellent characterization of Wolverine. That story showed that he wasn't just a psycho killer. Now that story is collected here and is a must have for Wolverine fans.
on March 29, 2013
What an outstanding Wolverine story, Claremont truley understands the mythos of the Wolverine and that is why he was one of the best writers every to protray this intense mutant. I only wish Hollywood understood him as well as Claremont did! This is a must read for any Wolverine fans. Its a perfect story!