4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked The Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection Book 1 then you obviously don't have a choice in the matter..., Feb. 13 2008
Jason A. Niziol "The Clown Prince of Crime" (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 2 (Paperback)
The Ultimate X-Men is kind of like fine scotch; if you like it to begin with you savor it. Book two, in my opinion did not disappoint.

I have come to the point in my life where I need instant gratification and nothing does that better than massive trade paper backs. I just can't keep rows upon rows of milk crates loaded with comics anymore. These massive collections are really great for readers like myself who have enjoyed the day of collecting comics but are just out for something cheap and easy.

The story moves forward for the revamped X-Men in this book and writer, Mark Millar, does not let us down. The characters grow, love, live and fight some pretty cool X-Men villains. Despite accusations that the Ultimate books, especially X-Men, are watered down versions of their former grandeur book 2 kept me captivated and reading until it was all done. If you are looking for exact representations of the original works well then pick up the trades of The Uncanny X-Men. I like the way Millar tips his hat to pop culture in these books. Numerous references from celebs to current events give the reader something to smile inwardly at.

The Art of the book is still great. If you liked the full, colorful, almost animated style of the first book then book two does not disappoint. From the sparkle of Colossus' armor to the angles of Ice Man in his intense transformed state to the fantastic Phoenix drawings at the end of Issue 21 the reader will be visually impressed. I especially like the fight between Wolverine and Cyclops...sorry.

All in all the book is a great read. For 17-18 bucks you really can't go wrong. Do your self a service pick up book 1 and 2 and save yourself some coin because both are great. Eagerly awaiting book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvel magic, Feb. 8 2009
Annie Charleboi "Einnae" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 2 (Paperback)
Now who doesn't like the X-men? Although the movies were not so great in the representation of the characters and so on, but thats an other subject. In general, the Ultimate X-men is pretty swell, I love how the present the newly "upgraded" / modern characters and the context of things. In the book, the phoenix makes its first appearance, and I really liked the Phoenix they came up with. But I won't reveal questions that can be answered by reading.

I find its a great collection to get if you like that universe and for new graphic novel/comic book commers, or your just interested in the xmen following the movies, this is easy to jump into and understand.

Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 2
Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection - Book 2 by Chuck Austen (Paperback - Aug. 15 2007)
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 17.55