4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking
I have gave this book to two Christian friends that are searching, One found it wonderful and one found she could not get into it and brought it back, personally I enjoyed it.
Published 5 months ago by Ronda

3.0 out of 5 stars The quote from Nelson Mandela...
The quote from Nelson Mandela in this book, was unfortunately originally written by Marianne Williamson, a well known New Age writer who promotes the ideas in a "A Course in Miracles", a New Age book.
Published on Jan. 7 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, Feb. 28 2014
This review is from: Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, if read correctly..., Nov. 30 2005
I loved this book. It made the obvious more clear, and it brought out things that, for whatever reason, weren't clear or obvious to me before I read it.
However, I must respond to a comment made earlier by another reader. John Eldredge does not say "whatever your heart desires is good". Instead, he says that at its core, "the heart is good". He never tells us to go do whatever our heart desires, but he's saying that anything that your heart wants that is wrong is not inherently part of the heart.
Beyond the fact that he makes things almost too spiritual (as in everything must immediately be blamed on spiritual forces, which i do not necessarily agree with), this book does rely a lot on secular media. However, the things he talks about (like "The Chronicles of Narnia") are known to have deep Christian overtones, so I don't find it to be a (huge) problem. I also do realise that the audience he's writing to will not necessarily be anti-secular media, and will probably find his analogies to be easily understandable.
I did like this bok a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it was perfect for my life at the time, and I think God used John's words mightily for me, if that makes sense. I mean, we do need to fight. We can't complacent. We can't let the enemy win. Unfortunately, that's where too many Christians are now.
Fortunately, this book is for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging Christians into a deeper relationship with God, June 21 2004
I. A. de Petrovsky (currently in Australia) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this book unreservedly to those Christians seeking a deeper relationship with God and a greater understanding and desire to love God and their neighbour to the maximum of their God-given ability.
Many Christian books advocate living robotically moralistic lives - and indeed, the Scriptures place a great deal of emphasis on our morality. However, when morality in and of itself becomes the end goal the result is generally a plethora of very disfunctional, unhappy people. One only has to compare some of the Joyous, Bible-believing Christians one finds on the African continent, with the judgemental, dour and 'moralistic miseries' of the fundamentalist right wing churches of the 'Bible belt' to see what I mean.
One of the leading Christian, Biblical scholars in the UK (and a close friend of mine), fluent in Biblical Greek and Hebrew, Aramaic and a smattering of Arabic, maintains that one's faith should be written in Pen, but our theology written in pencil. This is too much for some of our modern day Pharisees. Anyway, on to Eldredge:
The crux, I believe, of this book is that if one awakens one's heart, a heart which has been stomped on by this world, the devil and our 'flesh', to the full potential that God allows us whilst here on earth, we will become much closer to God and much more complete as 'friends'/'children' of God. It is the Joy and Love of God in our hearts that attracts the unbeliever to God through us, not the moralising miseries so common in today's churches.
Eldredge seeks to bring out the best in us, our true potential as Christians through his writings. He quotes the Scriptures as well as many renowned authors such as G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis in his effort to persuade us that God wants people who are truly alive, and alive and joyous because they are fully aware of the amazing thing that God has done for us through Jesus Christ. Alive and Joyous because they are filled with God's Spirit and walking closely with Him.
One of the most successful evangelists I ever came across was a young Spanish Catholic man who was a member of Opus Dei. His incredible love of God and absolute joy in God was incredibly infectious and he was one of the few Christians whom non Christians in our college respected. My Protestant friends with their church evangelism agendas were invariably denied the time of day. Indeed, in my experience, it is those filled with unfettered Joy in God who are best at persuading unbelievers of the Gospel and its Wonder. Eldredge seeks to help us to get into a relationship of such closeness and intensity with God, a relationship desired by God, that we will emanate this Love and Joy that the Bible speaks about so often.
It is by freeing our hearts from the lies and contstraints of this world that we can get to that place where God desires us to be. We need to become the kind of people that we want to spend eternity with. People who adore God and their fellow man - people like the Spanish Guy from Opus Dei, and the zestful, non-materialistic people from some of the African churches - these people have extremely high biblical morals - but they're also exceedingly joyful and interesting people - and they don't spend their lives judging everyone around them, because they're too busy loving everyone around them, even if their theology isn't quite what the fundamentalists demand.
Some critcs below have completely misinterpreted Eldredge. Eldredge doesn't deny that we will face trials and tribulations, indeed the death of his closest friend must have been incredibly traumatic, both for him and for the family of his friend. This is not a book indulging in denial, and neither is it a book filled with 'New Age Philosophy,' as "a reader" from the mid-West would have us believe.
John Zxerce (below) also misses the point. He says, "Eldridge's book ultimately focuses on the realization of human glory...Eldridge argues that there is glory hidden in each Christian's heart, and the goal is to capture and maintain a sense of liberation through a realization of human glory..."
I didn't get this from Eldredge's book at all. Reading this book brought me closer to God, filled me with a desire to spend more time reading His Word and more time in prayer, and to devote much more energy to serving my fellow man. It did this by convincing me that I mattered to God and that I wasn't a bit of lowlife pondscum that God had 'saved' on a whim. It helped me to see that God had created me to be in relationship with Him and that I matter deeply to Him. It is through our knowledge of His character that we begin to see our character in relation to Him (as we read in Proverbs and Calvin's Institutes).
In conclusion, Eldredge is no threat to a belief and life based on the infallability of the Bible and the Gospel of Christ. He may be a threat to some imprisoning theologies and church practices of our times - and hence the bleating from the cheap seats, but this book, and indeed his other publications, will only serve to bring you closer to being the child that our Great God desires you to be, and to bring you closer into a relationship with Him.

1.0 out of 5 stars STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED IT YET - OVER A MONTH NOW!!!!!, April 6 2010
S. Motz (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Not sure what is taking so long - we ordered this book back on March 3 and the money was taken out of our credit card account, BUT STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED IT. What is taking so long?!?!?!?!?!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Waking the Dead, June 15 2004
By A Customer
Reading this book was a life-changing event. The author's insights into the realities of life and the division between our minds and our hearts is not just simple wake-up call. It is a call that can, indeed, wake up the spiritually dead heart and restore us to the fullness of life for which God designed us.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is for REAL Christian Men, May 19 2004
Scott Alan Siler (Ogden Dunes, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
I've just finished this book and read Wild at Heart over the Holidays. BOTH straight through, non-stop, which is a first for me and I'm 53! The absolute common sense approach of this author make me feel so close to Christ, closer than ever in my life. I think that most guys will be startled at the sharp contrast of loving Christ and what He wants for us versus what most churches expect. I stongly suggest the CDs of both Waking the Dead and Wild at Heart so that you can back-up to capture the essense of what Mr. Eldridge is saying. It's a VERY different approach and I think that you will enjoy your relationship with Christ even more ... if not a first awakening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life altering, May 14 2004
I dislike self-help books. I dislike Christian self-help books a little bit more. I had a chip on my shoulder about a mile high when a friend suggested I read "Waking the Dead," but I have to admit that it changed my life at a point when I thought I'd pretty much gotten done with big epiphanies. One of the most important and surprising things I got from it is a way to take my lifelong habit of seeing the world from a psychological perspective and integrate it with a new conviction about the nature of good and evil. Check it out, this guy has something to say to all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars renew your faith, May 4 2004
This is a great book! Eldridge takes you through a journey of how to re-commit your heart back to God and what really matters in life. His writing style is very easy to follow and he is very culturally "aware." Many of his ideas are expressed with examples he shares from movies such as Braveheart and The Matrix."
I was especially impressed with the emphasis he adds to being in a small group. Everyone interested in the small group "idea" should read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serve man or serve God?, April 16 2004
By A Customer
I spent much of my teenage years in the "Armstrong" (Radio Church of God) church and found it very legalistic. Now after a 35+ year gap am a member of a reformed church which is a breath of fresh air in comparision. Johns book however points out the possible danger of all man goverened religions.Do I follow the customs, rules and traditions man has put into place or follow Gods commands? Sure singing in a chour or attending bible study or serving on a commity is fine but God requires none of them for salvation, so don't let a church guilt you into believing that it is. Follow God first and then decied if any of mans traditions are for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book You Will Ever Read Next to The Bible~A+A+, April 14 2004
I am not sure where to start. This book spoke to me on so many levels; I am having trouble focusing it into paragraph form. This is my attempt, however.
Anyone who thinks the heart is inherently wicked and evil has not read the Bible. I must admit that I had never thought of it this way, but it makes perfect sense. What happens when you are saved, washed in the blood of Christ? Behold, you are a new creation, the old passes away and all things become new, and Christ comes to live in your heart and fill you with the Holy Spirit. Now...IF this is true (which I believe it is, because the Bible says it is) then why, OH WHY, do we think the heart is evil? Why would Jesus come to live in an evil environment? It would contradict scripture to assume that Christ would live in an evil heart. If he was willing to do that, then forgiveness of sin would be a moot point and Jesus suffered and died for nothing.
This book sheds light on subjects that I had not explored in depth before. I grew up a Baptist, and I currently attend a very vibrant Baptist church that is in-tune with the will of God, but spiritual warfare is seldom mentioned. Hey, churches aren't perfect in this world. Eldredge excels in speaking to the fact that we are at war.... a spiritual war against principalities and rulers of this present darkness of evil forces in heavenly realms. We must put on the full armor of God and guard our hearts, for they are the wellspring of our lives.
I could write a full-sized newspaper ad about this book. It has spoken to me in a way that few others have. The author encourages us to pray certain little prayers and probes us to ask questions to God throughout the book. And I did that. And God answered.... multiple times. He is still answering. Maybe I am crazy. That's fine, I can live with that, because if I am, it is for the sake of Christ.
Do you want to walk with God, see his face, and draw closer to his heart? Read this book. Study the scripture that goes along with it...and there are plenty scriptural quotes in here to keep you busy for a short while.
Above all else, Read This Book. Did I mention that? Let me say it again.... go buy this book and read it. And ask God to open your eyes.

Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive
Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive by John Eldredge (Paperback - Nov. 14 2006)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.40