summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: School & Library Binding|Change

on June 15, 2000
This book is a wonderful gift for mothers and daughters alike. The reader empathizes with Sarah from the first page of the book, as she wonders what to do to support her daughter. Rebecca is a little harder to "like," and at first glance she does seem to become spoiled; but while she might not be an admirable character, she is easily understood. Oke does a commendable job creating two different worlds, both equally vivid, and showing how Rebecca feels when she leaves the refined world to enter the rustic one. The way in which she realizes her pride and finds forgiveness is believable and touching. All in all, a wonderful keepsake book you'll want to read again and again!
on July 4, 2002
"Too Long a Stranger" was a so-so book. I enjoyed "Roses For Mama," by Oke, much more. The plot seemed more relevant of today's family situations - I found that ironic. It seems Janette Oke didn't know if she wanted to focus on Sarah or Rebecca. It shifted main characters all of a sudden, with no hint of it. I couldn't feel for the characters - I don't think Oke developed them well, they had no dimension. It felt like Seth was thrown in the story to help the ending along. I didn't understand why Sarah would finally give into hiring help, when for more than 10 years she was against it - it didn't make sense. The ending came very fast and abruptly, without a sense of closure - an Epilogue would have been helpful. I do not recommend.
on August 7, 2001
This is one of the best Janette Oke books I have read. However, as usual, everything was wrapped up nice and tidy in the last chapter. I often wonder if Ms. Oke is running out of paper as she writes the last chapters of her books. Or maybe her editor allots her only so many pages (303 in this case) and she has to rush the ending. I would like to see her write a book on what happens to the characters after conversion and reconciliation. Or maybe give the woman some more pages!
on July 28, 2000
The characters in this book as well as the story line in itself seem very real, the book is very touching. From the mother in the story we learn strength and perserverance, and from the daughter we learn about humility as well as determination. Even a mother and daughter can come from very different viewpoints, and in this book, Janette Oke shows us that those differences are not insurmountable, and can actually make a relationship stronger.
on June 6, 1999
This is one of the most *feel like you are there* books I have ever read. Jannette Oke takes her writing style and uses it very well in this book. You feel as if you are there with Sara Perry as she goes through rough, sad, happy, and trying moments. This is a great book and a must read for any one who enjoys Jannette Oke or historical fiction!
on April 5, 2004
It was a good book, I thought, but I had a hard time getting past the constant stuttering in the dialogue. EG: "I--I--wish"; or "but it--it--may be" and so on. It became too choppy for me and I began to subconciously focus on that in the dialogue instead of what the characters were saying.
on April 19, 2001
This is a wonderfully written Christian book! I love Janette Oke's book, and have just started reading them! I think they are very encouraging and wonderful! I think this is one of the best!
on June 14, 1998
captures your intrest and you feel as if you are right there in the story with them. this book helps girls relize the importance of the relationship with your mother.
on June 14, 1998