5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on why not to become a young parent.
Published on Jan. 29 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Flour Babies
Published on Sept. 24 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on why not to become a young parent., Jan. 29 1999
By A Customer
FLOUR BABIES was a great book. I enjoyed reading it because it kept you wondering would happen next. The part I liked the best was how Simon kept finding out piece by piece of the song his father was singing when he left Simon and his mother. I also liked how you never knew what the kids doing the flour baby project would do with their flour babies next. In this book the author used great characterization. In my opinion, books with lots of characters in them are more exciting to read. Plus, when each character has a different point of view of things that is very interesting. For example the students doing the flour baby project all have different opinions about the flour babies. Most think that it is a horrible idea, and Simon thinks it is a great idea. Then there are the people who just don't know what to think. The last thing that I really liked was the whole point of the book. I learned so much on how hard it would be to be a parent when you are still in school. For example, when he has to go to soccer practice and his mom won't watch his flour baby for him. As you can see, this book has many good points. I really recommend that anyone who gets a chance to read this book does do this. I really enjoyed this book, and I hope everyone else will too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Flour Babies, Sept. 24 2001
By A Customer
My book was about a teacher and his class. One day the class was being very rude. So Mr. Cassidy said one more word and someone will be picking a project out of the bag. Everyone was quiet and Simon walked into the classroom and made a noise. Mr. Cassidy gave up and he said pick a project. Simon put his hand in the bag and pulled out the project flour babies. Everyone was mad. Mr. Cassidy explained the project to the class, The class thought he was joking. Mr. Cassidy told them they had to keep journal about what happened with them and there flour baby everyday for 18 days. Mr. Cassidy told them that at the end of the 18 days they would have a official weigh in. He also told them that they would have to have a baby -sitter with them unless they couldn't leave them alone.18 days later they had there offcial weigh in. Everyone flour baby was the correct weight, except Wayne and Simon. No one finised there science fair,but Mr. Cassidy thouhght they learned a good leason.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flour babies innit!, March 20 2001
By A Customer
flour babies was good, but not my cup of tea really. Its set in a boys secondary school and in a classroom of bottom set boys, the teacher treats them with no respect at all, and the boys just mess around. Well anyway they've been set a science experiment to look after babies of flour, the boys think that is so girly-ish but simon (the rude boy of the class) takes this seriously and actually looks after the baby seriously and everyone is surprised. But all this baby stuff is making him wandering why did his dad leave when he was a baby( oh yeah simons dad left when he was a baby) So simon keeps on questioning his mum about why his dad left , his mum says he was whistling a song at the time , his mum does'nt know what song , but simon finds out the song but not the last line. Will simon find out the last line? Will he ever know why his dad left? read it to see!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What an Interesting story!!!!, Nov. 24 1998
By A Customer
I thought "Flour Babies" by Anne Fine, was a wonderful book. I think the main character 'Simon" is interesting because ofthe way he changed from a noisy, mischievious punk, into a kind and studifull student. I really thought it was touching how he began to think of his flour babie as a real child, and how he learns more about the father who had left Simon and his mother just weeks after he was born. After I started reading Flour Babies I could hardly put it down. Anyone who is interested in a funny yet touching story, Flour Babies is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book I like "Flour Babies", Sept. 24 2001
By A Customer
What I thought about this book is it is very interesting.It made me not want to put the book down,even when we had to at school.It was very emotional.Simon he goes through a lot of emotions.Like when he first got assigned to the project he was sort of upset yet okay with it I guess.He was mad about his mom not telling him about his dad but I'm sure he did get over it.He was confused about what to do when he had to go to soccer pratice should he leave it there our take it with him?.He finally figured it out.That's all I got to say 4 now.Bye Bye :^) ;^)

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty realism, May 9 2000
By A Customer
Anne Fine deals with an important issue which affects many children today - that of one parent families with wit, sensitivity and realism. Simon isn't magically transformed into a model pupil but then we wouldn't want him to be. The characters have depth and are characters that are easy to identify with. Anne Fine never gets over sentimental when Simon is reflecting on the fact that his father left him when he was six months old but nether does she gloss over Simon's feelings. A very funny, readable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Book, Sept. 28 2001
By A Customer
I liked when Simon's friend booted his flour baby in the creek. There are a lot of rules to have a flour baby. Like you have to keep it with you at all times. Simon got mad because he didn't know who his dad was. He asked questions to some of his teachers.
Simon got a lot of dentions in one day. Simon went to go put the flour babies in the class room but he got in trouble. Simon got to kick the flour babies to pieces. He kept his flour baby.
By Jeremy H. for my 7th grade reading class.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was about a boy who took care of a flour baby., May 25 1999
By A Customer
This book is certain to be a hit..... It's about a boy who has to take care of a flour baby in a parenting class. In the beginning he thought that this project was silly, but later on in the book he realizes that the flour baby is helping him figure out his own life. It's fine treatment of the subject, a wonderful blend of hilarity and seriousness,makes the book a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars After years, I still think this is a cute book.., Jan. 13 2000
By A Customer
I read this book some years back.....and I think it is very interesting...I mean, would you ever imagine that you will have to take care of a flour babie? well, I think Flour babies are cute... such a cute idea for a book...besides the flour babies, we can see the changes in Simon as well... all in all, I think this is a great book =)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny School, May 30 2000
By A Customer
I think this book is quite cool. It is sometimes funny but sometimes boring. It is set in a english primary school. This boy has to deal with emotianal problems and he learns more than he could possibly imagine about being a parents. this is a good book and i would recommend it to anyone between the ages of 9 and 13.

Flour Babies
Flour Babies by Anne Fine (School & Library Binding - Oct. 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 5.18