4.0 out of 5 stars The Real McCoy, July 20 1998
By A Customer
I really enjoyed this debut effort by Phyllis Richman. As a DC transplant and wife of a native, Ms. Richman goes a long way in painting a detailed and accurate picture of the region I call home, even when peppered with fictitious places and landmarks. She also draws a fine mystery novel, encouraging readers to follow through on her false-leads, as far as her title character, Chas. While I did guess who the real murderer was pretty early on- this did not detract from my enjoyment of this novel and anticipation for her next entree'. Ms. Richman has taken such care with all of the character's close to Chas that I feel that I would know many of them if I encountered them on the Metro, the Mall, or Georgetown! I look forward to hearing more about Lily, Ari, Paul, Dave, Sherele, Homer, and Brian. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this in a weekend, Sept. 5 2000
Louise C. Stone (Sunland, CA) - See all my reviews
What a good read for a long weekend. This was a spontaneous purchase because I liked the title. I figured that the author had a sense of humor. Boy! Does she?! This is a nice moving book with lots of insider information on the food industry as well as inside the beltway. The characters are well-rounded (and not perfect). I liked every character and did not want a single one of them to be the "dirty guy." The food details without the recipes littering the content is a welcome change, and walking the city streets can help the psyche -- try it! I will definitely buy more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was a fast moving, entertaining story, March 29 1999
By A Customer
I enjoyed reading Phyllis Richman's first murder mystery- so much so I hope she continues to write more. Having lived in the Washington area, I have enjoyed her restaurant reviews. I also like cooking. Combine murder mysteries with cooking and I'm hooked. The plot to "The Butter Did It" is well constructed and it has plenty of suspects. You learn a lot about the main character, food critic Chas Wheatley. She is not perfect, though. I have a hard time believing she loves to walk in Washington D.C. Traffic, construction and pollution make that difficult. Never mind, it's a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swell book! Great characters, well written and about FOOD!, July 14 1998
By A Customer
I loved this book! It was very well written and flowed smoothly. Kept me guessing all the way to the end, always a plus. Each of the characters was likable, although they were all flawed (or real). Are there really that many sensitive men in the world? It was interesting to read the "behind the scenes" happenings of the restaurant world. And the descriptions of the food got my culinary juices going. The receipe at the end was a great touch. Can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book you can't put down!!!, Jan. 10 1999
Donna (Beech Creek, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
What a great first novel from Phyllis Richman! It pulled me in on page one and held my attention through the last page, and I honestly hated to see it end. It not only held my interest as a mystery, but was informative into the workings of the restaurant industry. I hope this is just the beginning of a series of "Chas" mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is alot of drooling even if you eat before reading, Sept. 16 1999
By A Customer
Death of a great chef. Cause heart attack. But Chas Wheatly feels it is more than that. We get to read about great foods and life of a food critic. Keeps you guessing. Just when you think you might have it a curveball is thrown in. Hard to put down. Love the recipe at the end. Easy for us who are not chefs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious fluff!, June 22 1998
By A Customer
For gastronomic mystery buffs, this is a must read. It's a light confection, but perfectly delicious on a rainy afternoon. Enjoy!

The Butter Did It
The Butter Did It by Phyllis Richman (Audio Cassette - March 1 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 67.48