4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Great Writers
I bought this book simply because I am an Anita Blake junkie and couldn't wait to get my next fix. So you can imagine my surprise at how much I really enjoyed the other stories.
Published on Oct. 24 2002 by Bookseller

3.0 out of 5 stars JD Robb story worth it
Being both a JD Robb and Laurel Hamilton fan, I purchased this book happily. The Robb story didn't fail to please, it was great. I was very disappointed in the Hamilton story, it was the opening scenes of her last book Narcissus in Chains! The other stories in the book were boring.
If your a Robb fan, its worth it. If not, I'd pass.
Published on Sept. 3 2002 by Adele Pobega

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Great Writers, Oct. 24 2002
Now, before we continue with the review, let me just admit that, yes, apparently I have been living under a rock. I say this because I had never heard of J.D. Robb and the 'In Death' series before buying this book. The story 'Interlude in Death' starts off the quartet of stories and it made me an instant Eve Dallas fan. "Wow!" is all I can say. I had never met any of these characters before, but by the end of the story I felt I knew them and wanted to spend more time getting to know them. (I immediately went out and bought every book in the series.) The fact that Ms. Roberts could make a new reader like me care so much about these characters in a little over 100 pages just amazes me. That is truly a sign of a great author.
The final story is an excerpt from Laurell K. Hamilton, from her then new novel, "Narcissus in Chains". I was disappointed only because it was not original and by now, I had already read the full "Narcissus in Chains" novel. But even rereading an Anita Blake story is better than a lot of what is out there.
The middle two stories, "Kinsman" by Susan Krinard and "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne have the misfortune of being sandwiched between two really outstanding stories. I think if I read these two first, or as part of a separate collection I would have a much higher opinion of them. Both are good. Both are entertaining. They just didn't reach out and grab me like Robb's or Hamilton's stories do.
Basically, if you are only familiar with only one or two of the authors I would really recommend this book to get a taste of similar, but very distinct, writers -- I think you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent anthology!, Oct. 11 2003
K. J. Blake "Super Reader" (Phoenix,AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent!
This is 4 pieces of fiction by the top names in paranormal romance fiction! The J.D. Robb is a fun Eve Dallas short novella, Susan Krinard gets a new take on her werewolves, the Maggie Shayne offering is part 4 to her Witches trilogy Eternity, Infinity and Destiny, and the Laurel Hamillton is just plain Anita Blake brand of fun! This is not a themed collection so much as a treat for fans of all 4 authors- and a chance to get to know these series in short form. One of the best! I have read this several times and wish it was available in a hardcover ( not large print) to go on my keeper shelf - my paperback is worn out!
Also recommended: Maggie Shayne Immortal Witch series: Eternity, Infinity, Destiny, Anne Rice The Mayfair Witches series, Karen Harbaugh The Vampire Viscount and watch her new vampire books! They are hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one., June 6 2003
J COFFMAN "Jackie" (Solihull, West Midlands, England.) - See all my reviews
I bought this one for Puabi's story Immortatily by Maggie Shayne. She was the evil dark witch in Destiny & I thought how can Maggie write a story about a dark one & then I thought there's more here than meets the eye & Puabi is not a dark immortal witch, but I was wrong. How Maggie did it was brilliant. I loved the twist in the end & can't wait for the next story. This series is brilliant, please keep it coming & bring us back the other immortals from the previous books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the effort, Feb. 5 2003
I BOUGHT THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT CONTAINED A "NEW" ANITA BLAKE STORY. IN FACT IT ONLY CONTAINS THE FIRST 6 CHAPTERS OF NARCISSUS IN CHAINS. THE ROBB STORY WAS GOOD, IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE EVE DALLAS SAGA, ELSE, YOU MIGHT NOT BE TO INTREAGED BY IT. I LIKED IMMORTAL AS WELL, BUT WAS GLAD IT WAS ONLY ABOUT 100 PAGES, I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE TAKEN ANY MORE. IF I HAD REALIZED THAT THERE WAS NO NEW HAMILTON STORY IN THIS ANTHOLOGY, I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT IT. AS IS IT, I'M MORE THAN A LITTLE SORRY I WASTED MY TIME AND MONEY. I SUGGEST YOU READ THE ANITA BLAKE SERIES BY HAMILTON, THE DALLAS SERIES BY ROBB, AND THE DARK JEWLES SERIES BY ANNE BISHOP. DON'T WASTE YOUR VALUABLE TIME ON THIS BOOK UNLESS YOU ARE A DIE HARD FAN OF ONE OF THE AUTHORS.

4.0 out of 5 stars These stories are Out of This World, Jan. 2 2003
By A Customer
All of these stories are written well, but I especially love J.D. Robb's Interlude In Death. I have been reading the In Death series for many years and continue to love them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tangy with a touch of tart, Nov. 3 2002
Dawnine K. Clews "dawnine" (Taichung Taiwan) - See all my reviews
I love romance and anthologies are so perfect for a little relaxing night time reading before your beauty sleep. Add to that the mystery of alien worlds, telepaths and good ol' detective work... no matter what the environment... and you are going to get an intriguing mix. The cherry on top is that all of these stories are well crafted by experienced storytellers... and often inspire you to hunt down some of their other works. A definite for any fan of sci-fi / fantasy who also likes the romance genre.
In fact the only draw back that I can recall is from Harding's Anita Blake installment. We get a wonderful mini-story of an interesting love triangle but the rest of the plot is left unfinished... thus you have to hunt down the appropriate book in the Anita Blake series to see how the rest of the situation works out.

3.0 out of 5 stars JD Robb story worth it, Sept. 3 2002
Adele Pobega "Adele Pobega" (staten island, NY) - See all my reviews
If your a Robb fan, its worth it. If not, I'd pass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not real bad but disappointing, June 6 2002
I had been looking forward to this book and was a little disappointed in it,but they can't all be great I guess. If you don't have anything else to read and you want to kill some time it will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out Of This World!!!, March 10 2002
By A Customer
(Paperback review)
Out Of This World!!! No other way to put it! I've read all of the "In Death" Series by Robb(Aka Roberts) and enjoyed everyone. This one "Interlude..." did not disappoint. Excellent as always! I liked the fact it was short (89 pages). Told the story and got to the conclusion, left you wanting for more of Eve & Roarke.
I was however a disappointed w/Maggie Shayne's "Immortality"...Story done over and over in various venues of sci-fi/mystery. Bad turns good, dark witch finds love becomes white witch... it's not much more than a romance novel... Found it rather HO-HUM....
Laurell K Hamilton's "Magic...." made me want to read more, I'll pick up "Narcissus in Chains" first chance I get. I read a review that said 'Buffy (the Vampire Slayer) look out for Anita'.... I have to agree! Anita, Jean-Claude and Richard were a very good mix.
The one that truly surprised me was Susan Krinard. I've read a couple of her "Wolf" stories and expected more of that series. THIS WAS GREAT!! Great isn't good enough, "KINSMAN" WAS EXCELLENT WRITING. Although you didn't know the species, in a short 87 pages, you were able to pick up on the character traits, even visualize the way they looked. I'm hooked and want more. A very pleasant surprise deviation from her past theme, shows she is a creative, gifted writer. Are there more stories of Jonas Kane VelArhan out there that I haven't yet discovered?? (If so, please!, someone send me the names of these books!) This is steps way beyond Startrek or Starwars! Ms. Krinard give us more please!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful blend, Feb. 25 2002
Holly Fuhrmann (PA) - See all my reviews
A new In Death novella, a sci-fi meeting of minds, a witch who would not die, and love triangle between a vampire, were-wolf and a necromancer--four novellas with totally different tones, but all equally engaging reads!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Out of This World
Out of This World by J. D. Robb (Hardcover - Jan. 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.86