4.0 out of 5 stars Death by darjeeling
I like the subject matter a cup of tea and a good mystery, what could be better. Charleston is an excellent setting and her descriptions take you right into the centre of the city complete with hidden gardens and sea breezes.
Her main characters are fun believable and always consistent.
Published 8 months ago by Vanessa

3.0 out of 5 stars Light mystery reading
Published 3 months ago by Wyn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Light mystery reading, Jan. 9 2014
Wyn (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I enjoyed the book. It was easy and fast to read and I wanted a light quick read that wasn't a romance novel. The book was rather stacked with different kinds of tea and descriptions of quirky touristy parts of Charleston. The mystery was woven through out the descriptions but was fairly easy to figure out. If you are looking for a deep involved mystery then this book isn't for you, however; if you are looking for a light read, then consider it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Death by darjeeling, Aug. 14 2013
Vanessa (Markdale, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Her main characters are fun believable and always consistent.

1.0 out of 5 stars A worse disappointment than decaf!, July 12 2003
By A Customer
This book just BLITHERS on and on. The author clearly knows far less about tea and the world of tea shops than she thinks she does - most of the brewing commentary would render you something more fit for the compost bin than the tea table - and the financial situations she creates for the tea related characters are overwhelmingly implausible. I found the book just about impossible to finish because there is nothing about the characters that makes them either plausible or interesting. The "plot" is also rather dismal.
In summary: if you want a good book tea, read one of the fabulous FACTUAL histories of the brew. If you want a good mystery, try Allingham, Christie, Churchill or Dahiem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cozy mystery especially for tea lovers!, Dec 14 2009
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What can I say but that I absolutely loved this book. Everything about it just got me so wrapped up in Theo's Indigo Tea Shop and the mystery itself was intriguing in its' own little way I had to read this from cover to cover. Everything about it was just so "cozy". I loved the different descriptions about tea, and being a tea lover myself am now in the look out for new teas to try. Aside from the wonderful tea descriptions and the desserts that went along with it, the mystery was a fun read. Nothing too flashy and sensational. However there were proper moments of suspense and intrigue which kept the reader going and more engrossed to keep reading some more.

I loved the characters in the book. The suspects were believable and each had a motive for murder. I liked Theo and her staff at the tea shop who supported her through her investigation. They were all likable characters (although I found Drayton to be a particular favorite as he was the actual tea connoisseur). As for the real murderer and the solving of the case, I thought I had guessed correctly but I was blindsided and it wasn't who I expected it to be. There were a couple of questions I would like to have answered but I figured they would wait until the next book or two to see what would happen to certain characters I'm curious about. Plot flow was good and interesting. Nothing distracting to take away from the main theme. Theo is a great strong character and her determination to solve this case and save the reputation of her business and friend makes her even more likeable and noble.

Overall a wonderful mystery cozy! this will definitely be a series I will continue reading. I recommend this for cozy mystery lovers and tea aficionados alike.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Awful Book, July 5 2004
Beverly Seaton (Alexandria, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Only after buying four novels in the series and finding them truly awful did I read the Amazon reader reviews. Note to self: read the reviews first.
This book (along with the others) is poorly written, with clumsy plotting and ridden with cliches. Many other reviewers have pointed out its manifold weaknesses.
The author has borrowed stock characters from many popular cozies, notably the main character, a single woman who has left the rat race for a girly business. She lets the business dominate the story, telling me much more about tea than I ever wanted to know, while stuffing her thin, gorgeous characters with rich pastries.
The best character is the dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new series...., March 17 2004
K. A. Stevenson "WIAPilot" (Tucson) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed DEATH BY DARJEELING by Laura Childs. It is the first of four "tea mystery" series that is set in Charleston.
In this first novel, apparently there are a few facts about Charleston and tea that were not prestinely correct. I didn't notice them and I am sure that Laura Childs has an excellent research team in place now. The point is that her book made me want to go to Charleston and made me quite interested in learning more about teas!
Her characters are great and the plots are very in depth. I hope that more readers will give this series a chance - I really enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long on tea, short on mystery, Dec 26 2003
Annag Chandler "Crane & Dragon" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
A very enjoyable beginning to a series that may have promise, but work needs to be done on the author's style and plot construction. After a satisfying number of red herrings, the true killer came out of left field -- a violation of my cardinal principle in evaluating mysteries: if I can't read the book a second time and find all the clues that pointed to the real killer, the author wasn't playing fair. On this ground, Childs is guilty of mystery writer's crime no. 1: inadequate clues pointing to the villain. The poison was never identified for the reader, so there was no ability to connect it to the perpetrator.
I found the descriptions of Charleston and the intricacies of a Tea Shop fascinating, but I agree that Theodosia Browning, the lead character, seemed more like a woman in her 50s (or from the 50s!) than a current thirtysomething. The supporting characters were well drawn -- I enjoyed them all. Here's hoping for better plotting as the series proceeds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but odd, Oct. 31 2003
By A Customer
This series is entertaining in its way, but a little odd. I would have found it slightly less rough going if Theodosia Browning was in her sixties, rather than her thirties, as it's hard to believe she's a fairly young woman, judging from her rather proper and formal behavior and speech. Still, I enjoyed the coziness of the setting, being an avid tea lover. The series grew on me, once I got used to the old-fashioned way it seems to have been written. Was a bit like a time warp, as if it had been written in the 1950s. Worth checking out though, if you love tea and comfort scones and a light mystery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Death by Disinterest, July 19 2003
I love mysteries, lived in Charleston for six years, and am a card carrying member of the Counter-Coffee Tea Revolution, so I was thrilled to discover this book. For about three pages.
I found it boring, badly written, and apparently unedited. (If it were edited, then the editor who allowed the sentence, "Ever the social butterfly and fashion maven, Samantha was fetchingly attired in a flouncy cream-colored silk skirt and pale peach cashmere sweater, generously scooped in front to reveal her matching peach skin and ample endowments," should look for a new vocation.) Ms. Childs is long on description, addicted to adjectives, and frequently includes digressions on tea that rival Melville's on whaling in Moby Dick.
It was useful to learn, however, that I've been oversteeping Darjeeling for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect "cuppa" for the mystery lover, June 24 2003
Cindy A. Lee "Book Goddess" (Thiensville, WI USA) - See all my reviews
A delightful book with interesting characters. I loved the historical information on Charleston which the author captures and paints vividly for the reader. The characters are real, my favorite is Earl Grey, the dog. The book is also infused with tea information that will please the avid tea drinker and inform a novice tea drinker. This book would be a perfect read on a rainy or cold day, curled up with a cup of tea of course! I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the Tea Shop series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb43a4198)

Death by Darjeeling
Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs (Paperback - Oct. 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 70.29