biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 14, 2009
What can I say but that I absolutely loved this book. Everything about it just got me so wrapped up in Theo's Indigo Tea Shop and the mystery itself was intriguing in its' own little way I had to read this from cover to cover. Everything about it was just so "cozy". I loved the different descriptions about tea, and being a tea lover myself am now in the look out for new teas to try. Aside from the wonderful tea descriptions and the desserts that went along with it, the mystery was a fun read. Nothing too flashy and sensational. However there were proper moments of suspense and intrigue which kept the reader going and more engrossed to keep reading some more.

I loved the characters in the book. The suspects were believable and each had a motive for murder. I liked Theo and her staff at the tea shop who supported her through her investigation. They were all likable characters (although I found Drayton to be a particular favorite as he was the actual tea connoisseur). As for the real murderer and the solving of the case, I thought I had guessed correctly but I was blindsided and it wasn't who I expected it to be. There were a couple of questions I would like to have answered but I figured they would wait until the next book or two to see what would happen to certain characters I'm curious about. Plot flow was good and interesting. Nothing distracting to take away from the main theme. Theo is a great strong character and her determination to solve this case and save the reputation of her business and friend makes her even more likeable and noble.

Overall a wonderful mystery cozy! this will definitely be a series I will continue reading. I recommend this for cozy mystery lovers and tea aficionados alike.
on September 4, 2001
Theodosia Browning, owner of the charming little Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston, SC is enjoying the resurgence and newly-found popularity of the world of tea...Needless to say, there has to be a murder to muck up things for Theodosia and friends in the quaint Antebellum city...
When a guest on Charleston's famous Lamplighter tour is suddenly found dead clutching one of the Indigo Tea Shop's teacups, all eyes turn suspiciously to Theo and her cast of employees and friends at the small shop.
Theo gets more than she bargained for when she tries to find the identity of the killer, and as she gets closer, the threats start rolling in, endangering herself and her nearest and dearest.
'Death by Darjeeling' is the first in a (hopefully) series of mysteries, and I must say, it was a pleasant surprise!
Though you've probably all heard this sort of cozy plot before in numerous other settings, this one happens to be a real find!
The wonderful history of Charleston comes alive through Ms. Childs endearing narration and you definitely get a sense that the author loves and cherishes her city very much and is quite proud of it's interesting past.
Not to mention all the added information about tea, types of tea, tea growing, etc. Alright, this might not peak everyone's interest, but if you're at least a tea-drinker with a penchant for a nice, Southern mystery with some fun characters and laughs thrown in, it's definitely worth a shot!
Let's hope Ms. Childs has installment #2 on the way!
on June 8, 2001
Death by Darjeeling is a crisp read that will make you feel like a regular visitor to romantic Charleston, South Carolina. I feel I could make my way around this historic city like a native and I would not be in the least bit surprized to find myself savoring a cup of tea in the Indigo Tea Shop presided over by Theodosia Browning, the heroine of this novel. Theodosia has left the pressure cooker world of marketing to set up a cozy haven that attracts people of all sorts, Drayton, the expert in all tea matters, young women in need of a safe harbor, the loyal dog Earl Grey and even a few would be suitors. Each one of them gets involved in Theodosia's misdaventures when a prominent guest is poisoned at a tea social. Theodosia must solve the crime to save her reputation and the little world built upon it. The author, Laura childs, has created a sympathtic cast of characters that I came to know and care about; I look forward to seeing them in the promised second book of tea-house mysteries. Until then, I will enjoy a cup of freshly brewed tea made according to the receipe tucked away in the back of this excellent book. It is a really good read.
on June 8, 2001
A crisp read that will make you feel like a regular visitor to hisotric Charleston. I feel as though I could make my way around this romantic city like a native and I would not be in the least bit surprized to find myself savoring a cup of tea and hot treats at the Indigo Tea Shop.
The author,Laura Childs, has created a sympathetic cast of characters centered around Theodosia Browning who left the pressure cooker world of marketing to set up a cozy tea-shop. Theodosia attracts people of all sorts, Drayton her resident expert on tea matters, young women in need of a sympathetic haven, the loyal dog Earl Grey and even some would be suitors. Each is involved in Theodosia's misadventures when a guest is poisoned at a socially prominent tea-party. By the end of this tightly written mystery I felt that I really knew and cared for the heroine and her loyal crew at the tea shop. I look forward to their forthcoming adventures in a promised second volume. Until then, I will savor Death by Darjeeling over the aroma of a freshly steeped pot of tea made according to the receipe tucked into the back of this entertaining mystery. A really good read.
on March 17, 2004
I really enjoyed DEATH BY DARJEELING by Laura Childs. It is the first of four "tea mystery" series that is set in Charleston.
In this first novel, apparently there are a few facts about Charleston and tea that were not prestinely correct. I didn't notice them and I am sure that Laura Childs has an excellent research team in place now. The point is that her book made me want to go to Charleston and made me quite interested in learning more about teas!
Her characters are great and the plots are very in depth. I hope that more readers will give this series a chance - I really enjoyed it.
on June 23, 2003
A delightful book with interesting characters. I loved the historical information on Charleston which the author captures and paints vividly for the reader. The characters are real, my favorite is Earl Grey, the dog. The book is also infused with tea information that will please the avid tea drinker and inform a novice tea drinker. This book would be a perfect read on a rainy or cold day, curled up with a cup of tea of course! I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the Tea Shop series.
on August 7, 2001
and then sit back and enjoy this visit to Charleston and surrounding area. I like Theo and her staff and traveling the streets in her red (did you have to get red?!) Jeep. The environmentalists/preservationists versus developers plot was just meaty enough, with the side visits for relaxing or energizing or refreshing teas with scrumptuous munchings, or a gossipy chat with a neighboring boutique owner took me to a wonderful atmosphere with some really great people.
on July 16, 2002
I loved this book. It was the very definition of a cosy mystery. Be prepared to read this book with some scones and a cup of tea. While the mystery itself may be amateurish, it was the characters and the wonderful descriptions of teas that makes this a 5 star read.
I picked up this book because I loved its cover and I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. What i did get was a rare treat.
I hope Laura Childs continues the adventures of Theodosia Browning.
on February 1, 2002
Death By Darjeeling is a charming new mystery series set in the Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston. This cozy mystery features tea shop owner Theodosia Browning. Theodesia becomes a suspect when her tea is used to poison the developer who has designs on her shop. As a tea drinker I particularly enjoyed the setting and the information about tea. Theodosia is a warm and intelligent amateur sleuth and I look forward to the next novel, Gunpowder Green.
on June 6, 2003
Death by Darjeeling is a terrific cozy. Quirky characters, lots of mysterious goings-ons, and plenty of tea lore. Charleston locales are lovingly described and the shops and homes in the historic district sound truly spectacular. I stumbled upon this in the bookstore, was drawn in by the cover, and became firmly engaged in the mystery. It's well-written and had just enough red herrings to keep me guessing.