Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: HardcoverChange

on July 22, 2002
oh, and everyone else too :)
I must say that I went into this book expecting way too much. Neil Gaiman is a great writer, and on the strength of his other works I picked this one up with HIGH expectations. But, don't get me wrong it is a good little book, and one I would have loved to have read as a child. It will not, though, by any standards, dethrone Alice in Wonderland. However, I do recommend it to anyone and everyone who likes to read, and I think any child would be thrilled to read Coraline.
The world of Coraline is wonderful and mysterious. The characters are intriguing and the cat is simply splendid, but the plot is a little thin and predictable. I know that it is a children's book and therefore should not be held to highly strenuous standards of plot development, but if it is to be compared to Alice then it needs to be able to stand on the same pedestal.
When I first reviewed this book I felt it deserved a 3 star rating: a good book, one worth spending your time on, but not great. But, the more I thought about it, the more the book stayed with me. The world in which Coraline enters and the characters she meets are fascinating and the story is good, so, on those merits, I decided to change my 3 star rating to a 4.
Caroline, I mean Coraline, is a nice book that anyone should enjoy reading, so pick it up and give it a read. Just don't let her take your soul in the process...
on July 20, 2002
Coraline is no exception from the wonderfull books that Mr. Gaiman has written. It has a very creepy, eerie, scary feel to it. At times I could feel my heart beating against my chest as the author continued to write about Coraline's search for the children's lost souls. It has the feel of an old Grimm's fairy tale mixed with Alice in Wonderland, and a touch of Gaiman's twisted dark fantasy thrown in for good measure.
I definitely recomend buying Coraline.
Why are you still reading? Buy it already.
on July 17, 2002
it's neil gaiman. apparently this man can do no wrong. while Coraline isn't particularly thought-provoking (nor is it meant to be), it's twisted enough to creep you out just as well as any Stephen King book, and i've read em all, so i know. Coraline is well worth the [item price]. Buy it. Now.
on July 16, 2002
Being a huge fan of Neil Gaiman (which my boyfriend says is nerdy, but i don't care) for years... i got this book as soon as i heard about it. "Neverwhere" and "Stardust" are both incredibly magical adult fairy tales. The "Sandman" graphic novel series is legendary in its genre. And "American Gods" was an amazing epic.... it just went on and on, with interweaving plots and characters.
"Coraline" is a very sweet, simple, Alice-in-Wonderland type tale. It seems like it should be a short story, but keeps going!
It's sweet, dark, fun, beautiful....
The limited edition version has notes and drawings in the back by Neil Gaiman - worth the extra money!
on July 15, 2002
Coraline had to have been one of the worst books Ive read. I dont know, maybe Im to old for this type of book but I am a huge fan of Gaiman and I read everything by him. Its hard to believe that Mr. Gaiman wrote one of my favorite stories, the Sandman, and turns around and writes this mess. Ive read American Gods wich was about a 3 star, Good Omens, wich I liked alot, probably a 4 1/2 star and every Sandman book out there. Mr. Gaiman really accelerates in the comic world. His death series, Murder Mysteries along with the sandman series are definetly looking into if you have not read them.
Someone said on the back cover I believe that "Coraline will finally surpass Alice in Wonderland" must have lost his marbles. Not even close!!! If I wasnt such a Gaiman fan, I would have rated this a 1 star.
Gaiman spends to much time building up the story only to disappoint you with a short plot. I could go on and on but like I said, not a book for adults.
on July 14, 2002
Forty year old Englishman Neil Gaiman is the author of an impressive array of work, including "The Sandman" series of graphic novels. Also planned for the big screen, with Neil as screenwriter and possibly director, is my favorite "Death: The High Cost of Living." (Every 100 years Death spends a day as a mortal) Add to his credits the novel "Good Omens," co-written with Terry Pratchett, "Thief of Time," will soon to be released as feature length film.
In "Coraline" a bored girl passes through a portal in her home to a parallel world where people and things are much stranger, and in some ways much better. We see this universe through Coraline, a wondrous child who does not fully realize the danger she is in. It was difficult for me not to think this work was inspired by the story "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." An Alice in Dangerland perhaps?
In an interview Gaiman said, "The thing I find oddest about Coraline, is those people who, after reading it, tell me that it seemed really familiar. They don't mean familiar in the sense they've read it before, they mean familiar in that the shapes, once they've read them, just sort of assimilated into the way they saw the world." I somewhat agree. Although the familiar shapes I saw, after reading "Caroline," were the monsters that my child's mind manifested in the shadows of my darkened bedroom the night I read "Coraline." Cammy Diaz A @ L.
on July 13, 2002
Neil Gaiman can write anything and he proves it with this book. It is childish because it is supposed to be, but it is still creepy enough to give you strange dreams. But don't let that bother you or your children because you both will love it.
on July 12, 2002
I've been reading this book to my cat in the evenings. I enjoy it immensely. I'm not quite sure what my cat thinks of it.
I like the concept of reveling and looking forward to the regular and the expected. There's a lot to be said for a hum-drum life. Coraline is a wonderful young role model who draws upon inner strengths and cooperates with friends to reach her goals.
on July 12, 2002
I had the honor of hearing Neil describe the book "Coraline" in person at a book signing for "American Gods" last year in NYC and just his description of 'the other parents' gave me not only a shiver up my spine but a smile of anticipation as well. After what seemed like ages (but what was in reality a mere year) I held the book "Coraline" at long last in my hands. I devoured it in two days (which says something since those two days were somewhat on the particularly busy side).
From page one, paragraph one, word one Neil Gaiman had me under his spell. When at work, I had a near constant smile on my face because I knew what I was reading was not just another book. The sheer masterful talent (dare I say 'genius'? Oh well, it came out and I will leave it there -- sorry Neil!!) behind it just put me in such a pleasant mood plus I new when my shift was over I would be returning home to allow Neil to wrap me up within the shadowy world he had created.
Let me talk a little about the main character Coraline. I think she is an incredible role-model for young girls -- she is brave, intelligent, quick-witted, kind, and one of the best female heroine's I have ever seen in either written form or film. She is the daughter that I would love to have.
To compare "Coraline" to "Alice in Wonderland" or "The Chronicles of Narnia" would not do the book justice as it is far darker than either one ever was. It stands alone, not only as a remarkable achievement in children's literature but in literature itself. Not only is this one of the best pieces I have read from Neil Gaiman, it's one of the best books I ever read -- and I have read a lot throughout the years (not that I'm old yet -- 30 years have not yet passed me by!).
I have heard it said that Neil Gaiman has written this book for "strange girls of all ages". While I am not a girl, I do suppose I could be considered 'strange' to some, but I am one who loves to read a fantastic tale with a strong female lead and captivating narrative style.
Anyone who meets those requirements or just loves an incredibly well-written book, needs to own this.
on July 10, 2002
Neil Gaiman is definitely a creative powerhouse, there's not questioning that. But this book really isn't worth all the hype surrounding it.
Some of the imagery created by Gaiman is very clever and chilling, but the execution falls flat. It reads like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book, and I never really felt the main character was in any real danger (just creepy circumstances). And even though the evil mother character is very well written, her actions and origins seem a bit vague so it all falls a bit flat.
Although the book's jacket touts it as the next Alice in Wonderland, this book lacks the wit and charm to be a book for all ages. Kids will no doubt be frightened by by Gaiman's creepy imagery, but as they grow older, they'll begin to wonder exactly why as this book lacks the bite it's teeth imply...
I'd stick to Road Dahl or The Brothers Grim...