Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on January 6, 2002
"Body" was most definitely not one of the best books (YA or otherwise) that I've ever read. I might be missing the point, but it mostly just made me happy I never spent much time wanting to be part of the popular crowd in high school. I found it depressing in the extreme that after all Torey went through (seeing a dead body, being in a psych ward, getting to know an amazingly compassionate outcast - Bo) he STILL treats a non-popular dormmate at his boarding school like excrement - in a scene that seems to be a "Catcher in the Rye" ripoff -he STILL feels superior because he has friends, musical aptitude, etc. Perhaps the author is to be commended for not slamming the reader with a stereotypical message about become a better person, but I find it hard to believe that Torey didn't change at all considering he seemed to have more sensitivity than the rest of his crowd. He feels a bit guiltier, perhaps, about dismissing others onthe outside, but that seems to be it.
Some of the writing seemed awfully clunky, too, particularly in the mental hospital chapter at the end. How can you make someone having a psychotic (?) episode dull? Oh well. The author's sympathies also seemed to lie mostly with the outcasts, so the story might have worked better from their viewpoint.
on July 17, 2002
This book is on a reading list for 9th grade. I bought it for my son to read and I read it myself. It contains several "f" words and several "a" words. It also has other offensive language. I don't particularly mind the language, my son has certainly heard it before, but should this be on a 9th grade reading list? I don't think so. Also, the book contains many sexual references and is written from the perspective of an 11th grade student. The author tries to use slang for the teens she writes for but isn't often successful. Terms such as "crashed out" for falling asleep don't make sense. The term is "crashed". Also, what teen says "don't wig out"???? The story was predictable and I knew what was going to happen by the time I was half way through. If there are any other books on your child's reading list I would recommend you look to them. My son will probably read this one anyway since I already bought it but I wish I had known about the material beforehand.
on August 25, 2002
I was supposed to read this book over the summer of 02, but I could barely finish it. It's awful. Simply about some nerd that goes missing in the woods and one kid that wants to find him. This book was horrible language, containing the somewhat-dreaded 'effword' and many things containing sexual references. It was like a Stephen King wannabe book, and really doesn't pull you in. If you want a good read, pick up "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon." It's at least the littlest bit suspenseful, and though it's a little over my age group and still says cursewords, it was far better than this dissappointment of a book.
on December 1, 2002
This book was horrible. I admit, since it was a mystery, I read it without putting it down for one whole day. But, after I read, I was going to do a report on it and I realized that this book was horrible. The important parts were not described well eough, causing me to make inferences. I hope the author does better with her next book.