4.0 out of 5 stars Will find out later how the boys liked it., Jan. 17 2014
John Spaans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief (Paperback)
Bought for two boys. Don't know their reaction yet but the masses say it is awesome. Will continue the series if they like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, Nov. 19 2013
My son loves this book and also the series. A great book to read with your kids or have them read it themselves

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, Nov. 10 2013
The Gods are brought back to life, as Rick Riordan gives Greek Mythology a makeover.

Percy Jackson keeps having problems at school, mainly caused by his ADHD and dyslexia. Little does he know that his life is about to change -- taking a turn for the worst -- as his mother is attacked by a creature and Percy forced to shelter at Camp Half-Blood where he is declared a Demi-God. He will now have to take on the task of hero and accept a quest to find Zeus' missing lightning bolt.

Well-written and plotted, The Lightning Thief knows no boundaries when it comes to action. Percy is strong, wise for his age, and yet grows as a character before our eyes. But what makes the book impossible to put down are the magical scenes including Centaurs and The Fates.

Glad to see the movie doesn't deviate too much from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Aug. 9 2013
The book is an amazing read especially if you enjoy fantasy as much as I do. The main thing you mist know is that the movie does not follow this book really well. So if you are buying this because you want to know where the movie came from, just know they are very different.

Thanks amazon for a speedy ship and deliver i love getting my books from amazon.ca

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read for all ages, Aug. 2 2013
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a great little book!! I know it was written for kids but it was written well and it was entertaining - perfect for summer reading.

Percy is a very likeable, average kid who just happens to be a demi-god. He's not the most popular kid in the mortal world. His best friend (only friend) Grover is half goat and the only teacher he's had that doesn't pick on him is half horse, but he doesn't know any of this at first. After Percy learns what and who he is, the adventure begins. Percy does make a couple of new friends along the way but that just evens the scales as he also makes a few more enemies. If you don't know your Greek mythology, that's OK because it will be explained throughout the book in a way you can remember.

This was a really fun story, and a very easy and quick read. Good thing it is a series!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, June 18 2013
This was a really cute book, and I think if I had been 10 years younger, I would have really enjoyed it. It is packed full of Greek mythological references, so I think for kids or teenagers who enjoy that sort of stuff (as I really did), it's an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Jan. 8 2008
D. C. Barrett (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 9 year old son and gave it to him at Christmas. This book had to compete with a new Nintendo DS, Wii games, R/C truck, and innumerable other Christmas presents. It's a 400 page book. He had it read in 2 days.

I don't know if I can give it a more ringing endorsement than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Dec 29 2009
My friend gave me her book to read because she loves it so much. I really didn't think I would want to read it, seeing as this book was written for younger children and we are both older adults, but she insisted it was great. Now after reading it I understand why, this book is good for all ages. I've only read this first book so far out of the series and I really liked it. There was a lot of adventure and there always seemed to be something exciting happening to keep you interested. I will definitely be reading the next adventures of Percy Jackson that's for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!!, Dec 22 2007
I really like this series (have read the first two so far), and it's a shame that it isn't more well known.

Riordan has done a very clever thing - he's entered the cluttered young adult fantasy arena with plots woven from the old Greek legends. So he has actually claimed the stories that have since inspired Rowling and others. I mean, the parallels are almost funny - in this series we have a prophecy about a young savior (hello harry potter & golden compass), and we have a dark lord (Kronos) slowly rebuilding his strength as he prepares to take over the world (hello voldemort!!).

And though you might expect the greek tie in to lead to overly-dramatic writing, the book is actually really fresh and funny. The God Poseidon for example is a Jimmy Buffet / beach bum playboy figure.

I highly recommend these books. They're more quickly paced than Rowling and Pullman's books, more readable (because Riordan isn't building up detailed backstories the way those authors do), and quite simply they're great page-turners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome blend of myth and modern, Jan. 30 2006
This book is so good I couldn't put it down for a second. I have now read it three times and plan to read it more. I am dying for the second book to come out and hope it does come soon. Percy Jackson who lives in Manhattan has to go on a life-changing adventure to stop the Olympian gods of Greece from making world war three. The author mixes a setting from today with the gods and creatures of ancient Greek mythology. It involves action and adventure, lots of fighting, and many hilarious comments. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is interested in mythology!

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief
Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54