5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Jan. 8 2008
D. C. Barrett (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 9 year old son and gave it to him at Christmas. This book had to compete with a new Nintendo DS, Wii games, R/C truck, and innumerable other Christmas presents. It's a 400 page book. He had it read in 2 days.

I don't know if I can give it a more ringing endorsement than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!!, Dec 22 2007
I really like this series (have read the first two so far), and it's a shame that it isn't more well known.

Riordan has done a very clever thing - he's entered the cluttered young adult fantasy arena with plots woven from the old Greek legends. So he has actually claimed the stories that have since inspired Rowling and others. I mean, the parallels are almost funny - in this series we have a prophecy about a young savior (hello harry potter & golden compass), and we have a dark lord (Kronos) slowly rebuilding his strength as he prepares to take over the world (hello voldemort!!).

And though you might expect the greek tie in to lead to overly-dramatic writing, the book is actually really fresh and funny. The God Poseidon for example is a Jimmy Buffet / beach bum playboy figure.

I highly recommend these books. They're more quickly paced than Rowling and Pullman's books, more readable (because Riordan isn't building up detailed backstories the way those authors do), and quite simply they're great page-turners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Dec 29 2009
My friend gave me her book to read because she loves it so much. I really didn't think I would want to read it, seeing as this book was written for younger children and we are both older adults, but she insisted it was great. Now after reading it I understand why, this book is good for all ages. I've only read this first book so far out of the series and I really liked it. There was a lot of adventure and there always seemed to be something exciting happening to keep you interested. I will definitely be reading the next adventures of Percy Jackson that's for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Jan. 25 2010
J. Scully "withagoodbook" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Set in a world where the Greek Gods still exist, The Lightning Thief tells the tale of 12-year-old Percy Jackson, who after years of being a bad seed, realizes there might be more to his problems than dyslexia and ADD. Trouble has always seemed to follow Percy wherever he goes, despite how hard he tries to avoid unwanted attention. Then when his mother takes him on a summer vacation, trouble comes for them in a big way. After battling an unbelievable creature, Percy finds himself thrust into a strange world that seems impossible, but just might explain the strange things that keep happening in his life.

By weaving the stories of the Greek gods into the tale of Percy Jackson, Riordan has created a magnificent world that feels entirely possible because so much of it is familiar to us. There's hardly a dull moment in the story, and by doling out bits of information slowly, the author ensures that we're always wanting more. I found myself liking all of the characters in The Lightning Thief, and enjoyed learning their back-stories.

We're told at the beginning of the story that Percy is twelve, but I had a hard time picturing him as any younger than 16. Which, to me, is a good thing. I love my YA fantasy series, but I don't like to feel like I'm reading a children's book, and I believe that The Lightning Thief stands up well as a tale that will appeal to both teens and adults alike.

My one criticism of the story is the glaring similarities to the Harry Potter series. Yet even with the obvious parallels, it somehow doesn't take much away from this wonderful tale. It appears the author took the shell of the Potter series - magical land known only to those who are part of it; plucky, unaware young hero; whip-smart girl, and loyal boy to aid him in his adventure; wise, knowing elder to offer advice; and a young nemesis - but then filled it with a new world and new characters. While the framework of the two stories is almost identical, I found the similarities stopped there.

For those who are fans of the YA fantasy genre, the Percy Jackson series is not to be missed! The Lightning Thief is an exciting and thoroughly enjoyable read that sets up what looks to be a great series. I already have The Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse, the next two books in the series waiting for me, and I can't wait to dive in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome blend of myth and modern, Jan. 30 2006
This book is so good I couldn't put it down for a second. I have now read it three times and plan to read it more. I am dying for the second book to come out and hope it does come soon. Percy Jackson who lives in Manhattan has to go on a life-changing adventure to stop the Olympian gods of Greece from making world war three. The author mixes a setting from today with the gods and creatures of ancient Greek mythology. It involves action and adventure, lots of fighting, and many hilarious comments. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is interested in mythology!

4.0 out of 5 stars Son of a god, May 16 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
If you know anything about Greek mythology, you'll know that their gods had a tendency to produce demigod kids by the dozen. So it's not too hard to guess what "The Lightning Thief" is about -- a boy who discovers that he's the offspring of a god, and the other demi-god kids that he gets to know at a very, very special camp. While the introduction is a bit rocky, Rick Riordan spins a clever fast-moving adventure that mines ancient mythology and gives it a modern spin.

Percy Jackson has always been a troublemaker, but he's shocked when some truly strange things begin to happen in his life -- and especially when a minotaur appears and attacks his car. When he comes to, he learns that he's at a special training camp called Camp Half-Blood intended for demi-god children, and that his best friend Grover is actually a satyr bodyguard. Though Percy is understandably resistant to the idea, he soon makes friends in the sharp Annabeth and the bitter Luke (and enemies with the kids from Cabin Ares).

Oh yes, and he finds that he's the son of the god Poseidon... which is a problem since the "Big Three" gods have sworn an oath not to father any more kids, due to a rather ominous prophecy.

The problem is that Zeus and Poseidon are also having a feud at the moment, due to the loss of Zeus's master lightning bolt -- and Zeus believes that Percy is the culprit. And if things aren't patched up by the summer solstice, the forces of sky and sea will go to war. To save civilization -- and someone dear to him -- Percy must venture into the world of the dead...

"The Lightning Thief" is all a little Harry Potter in concept -- ordinary kid discovers he has magical powers, and is taught in a specialized school/camp with other kids like him. Rick Riordan spends the first half of the book exploring the nature of Camp Half-blood and the various demi-god kids, as well as dropping hints about Percy's parentage. Although, given the number of times he makes water misbehave, you would think someone would have guessed.

Fortunately the plot picks up about halfway through, when the whole matter of the bolt and thieving gods comes into play. Riordan has a snappy fast-moving style, and he peppers the story with plenty of plot twists and monstrous action. And he has quite a sharp-edged sense of humor -- the snarkiness is a bit annoying in the first chapter, but after that he produces some fun dialogue ("Spontaneous combustion is a form of harm." "Nonsense. Boy wouldn't feel a thing").

And he does a good job with the concept of gods and monster surviving over the center of the western world, as well as spoking some fun at the gods' behavior. Example: Dionysius whining "Father loves to punish me. The first time, Prohibition. Ghastly!"

I found Percy rather annoying in the first couple chapters, but Riordan slowly evolves him from a rather bratty, rebellious kid to a reluctant budding hero. Annabeth is an excellent counterpart to Percy, smart and measured if rather haughty in attitude, while Grover is a likable little sidekick who is chewing his nails over the possibility of losing his job. And the supporting cast of gods and demigods is pretty well-drawn, especially the paternal Chiron and embittered Luke.

It's not brilliant, but "The Lightning Thief" is a solidly written fantasy/adventure yarn, which leaves the door open for more adventures from Perseus Jackson. Hopefully the movie will be up to its standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's yo' Daddy?, June 25 2006
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Percy Jackson has always been different from other kids. He's dyslexic and suffers from ADHD, and is always getting into trouble. He's been expelled several times, and the only thing that holds his interest is Greek mythology.

We soon learn that Percy has close ties with Mount Olympus, and when monsters from mythology start popping up looking for his blood, he ends up at a very special school for kids like himself, where he starts to put things together to find out who he really is.

Before he knows it, he's off on a quest with his two friends, Grover and Annabeth, to recover a powerful lightning bolt, property of Zeus, which has been stolen, supposedly by Percy himself. Zeus, Poseidon and Hades are having a little disagreement about the theft of the said lightning bolt, and unless Percy can retrieve it and return it in time, the resulting fallout will have earth-shattering consequences.

This great (albeit relatively unknown) first book of the series is an easy read, and is sure to encourage young readers to improve their knowledge of Greek mythology, especially the stories of the Minotaur, Medusa and the gods Poseidon, Ares, Zeus, Hades, Kronos, Athena and so on. Highly recommended for young readers in search of an original and imaginative adventure series.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast, exciting book!, Nov. 19 2014
Wade A - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Bought these books because I like the whole Greek Gods thing and I enjoyed the two movies enough to warrent the reading. I recently finished this book and can say yes, it happens different here than the movie. It's better here in the book, as usual. I really enjoyed the book and the characters that were given in it. The appearance that the gods took was intriguing too, all seeming to take a modern "normal" appearance in the book(all except Hades who could care less and still wears a robe of black souls). The book flew through my hands and I'm onto the 2nd one now. Love the Greek lore in the books and I imagine I'll fly through the rest just as quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, April 5 2010
I thought the person reading this book did a very good job of assuming different voice inflections for different characters. I also enjoyed the story and felt it moved along at a good pace, with plenty of plot twists to hold a reader's attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Books Ever, March 7 2010
A. Bruce - See all my reviews
Percy Jackson and the Lightneing Theif was a great book!!! Even the Movie was great but the books are almost always better.You can almost tell what the auther meant by the gods. He brought to life greekmyths and many stories.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief
Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54